• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I strongly disagree.

Hilfenhaus has 24 wickets @ 18 in the longer form this Summer.

Moreover, at least he actually does something with the ball, in contrast to Lee and Siddle.
Geeves has taken more wickets in less matches :p

Anyway, glad that Hilfy is back on track as he looked an exciting prospect before last year's debacle

I wouldnt write off Siddle as he's young, quick and strong but very inexperienced

There are going to be a few players undergoing trial by fire until the right combination is settled upon

Redbacks

International Captain
Stuart Clark was a massive loss to the bowling attack. Lee wasted the 2nd new ball, barely made Kallis or AB play at enough deliveries.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sums it up completely

SA would've struggled to make 250 against Warne and particularly McGrath

In this innings, it was a foregone conclusion after a couple of hours

Fortunately, there are a lot of good young players in Oz and its simply a matter of picking the right ones and letting them gain experience
Bowling cupboard is quite bare tbh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
From Neil Manthrop's tour diary...

Justin Langer on ABC, "This is the flattest pitch you'll find anywhere in the world and Australia have one bowler who looks like taking a wicket. South Africa could chase 400."

"But the good news is that rain and thunderstorms are predicted for the weekend. I point this out to AB de Villiers at the end of the day and he replies: "Hopefully not, we want a result in this game and we are backing ourselves." Huh??

The rest of us are praying for rain
."

:)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't realise quite how inexperience Siddle was, only 13 state games. I reckon it's a bit much expecting him to come in and do well on that. Watson's a similar type of bowler to Siddle so if they're bringing him in then I reckon Siddle can make way for Bollinger.

I still don't like the idea of Watson in a four-man attack. Yes, he's bowling well, but playing him as one of the four bowlers is taking him well out of his comfort zone. I imagine apart from that first test against NZ he's probably never done it in his life. It's a bit of a tough one on someone who's not established themselves. Not to mention whether the workload is really what you want.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really didn't expect to wake up to this. Fair play to the yarps. They might actually be the real deal after all.

Maxwell calls Watson & Bollinger in for Siddle and Krejza on TMS just now.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly. We have the best fast bowling depth in the world, just some odd decision-makers.
Who though now? Bollinger and Hilfenhaus? Noffke is long-term injured, Tait has decided not to play four-day cricket. I see Nannes, Harris, Geeves and Magoffin are the top state wicket-takers. I'm sure they're decent players but they're all completely inexperienced at international level. I'm not sure that's the best fast bowling depth in the world.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Who though now? Bollinger and Hilfenhaus? Noffke is long-term injured, Tait has decided not to play four-day cricket. I see Nannes, Harris, Geeves and Magoffin are the top state wicket-takers. I'm sure they're decent players but they're all completely inexperienced at international level. I'm not sure that's the best fast bowling depth in the world.
I'd pick one of Dougie or Hilfenhaus to replace Siddle and, if I had my way, would play both and not Krejza. He bowled OK but isn't good enough to make up for his ordinary control. Won't happen, though.

I'd rule out Harris and Geeves because I don't think they can be international wicket takers, haven't seen enough of Nannes and Magoffin could be a very good test bowler.

I'd be inclined to play Dougie ahead of Hilf.

social

I'd pick one of Dougie or Hilfenhaus to replace Siddle and, if I had my way, would play both and not Krejza. He bowled OK but isn't good enough to make up for his ordinary control. Won't happen, though.

I'd rule out Harris and Geeves because I don't think they can be international wicket takers, haven't seen enough of Nannes and Magoffin could be a very good test bowler.

I'd be inclined to play Dougie ahead of Hilf.
I really doubt that the selectors will pick 2 left armers despite them being completely different bowlers

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I really doubt that the selectors will pick 2 left armers despite them being completely different bowlers
I don't see the difference when it comes to picking two right-armers. We'd pick two right armers who can't swing it against the Windies who are chockers with lefties, so it's a silly point.

It is like picking a spinner for the sake of it when he has a rubbish domestic record.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're right, they probably won't, though I think its stupid not to if they're the best bowlers available.

social

I don't see the difference when it comes to picking two right-armers. We'd pick two right armers who can't swing it against the Windies who are chockers with lefties, so it's a silly point.

It is like picking a spinner for the sake of it when he has a rubbish domestic record.
I agree but preconceived bias is likely to override form/logic