• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't see it.
But you are saying that it was inconclusive, right?

Shows that even with the referral system, there are still a lot of inconsistent calls when it comes to LBWs.
TBH I think it was reasonably conclusive on the replay after it was confirmed that the ball hit the pads of Sarwan in line with the stumps and without an inside edge from the bat.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
TBH I think it was reasonably conclusive on the replay after it was confirmed that the ball hit the pads of Sarwan in line with the stumps and without an inside edge from the bat.
Ahh, OK.
So it wasn't a How/Mills type referral then. I see.
Cheers.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Ahh, OK.
So it wasn't a How/Mills type referral then. I see.
Cheers.
Correct. As I say, very similar to Flynn's dismissal, with the ball hitting in line the issue.

Players walking off now as the light's been offered. Time to head back over to the Perth test!

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Was it a no ball or not? Isn't supposed to be given not out if less than 2/3 of the ball hits the player in line?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Was it a no ball or not? Isn't supposed to be given not out if less than 2/3 of the ball hits the player in line?
If any part of the ball hits in line it is considered in line.

http://www.supersport.co.za/cricket/content.aspx?id=15797&print=1
9.2. When using technology to determine the point of impact (as per Law 36.1 (d)), if any part of the ball is intercepted between wicket and wicket, then the point of impact is deemed to have been between wicket and wicket.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm getting annoyed with these 50-50 ones. Think I'm starting to agree with Vettori's idea of 1 challenge each.

Don't think either Mills or Sarwan should have been out myself.

Cam7

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm getting annoyed with these 50-50 ones.
Don't think either Mills or Sarwan should have been out myself.
The Sarwan dismissal was far from 50/50. The television evidence quite clearly indicated that the ball did everything required for it to be judged LBW. It hit in line and was going on to hit the stumps (and height wasn't an issue). The only 50/50 part of the equation was whether the ball hit the bat or pad first, which would have been extremely difficult for most umpires to determine. The replays quite clearly showed the ball hittling the pad first, which then made it "100/0" that it was out. :D

Polo23

International Debutant
This whole referral system is utter bull****. Not only are the 3rd umpires being incredibly inconsistent with LBW's, they are getting them wrong (Mills). With actual video footage (no hawkeye crap) it never looked like it was going to hit the stumps.

The referral system works great for things like bat pads and caught behinds, but it simply DOES NOT work for LBW's. LBW's should be left up to the onfield umpire, but every other mode of dismissal should be able to be referred.

P.S - the ICC are idiots.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Powell is losing it here, don't know what the **** he is thinking
Just showed Powel's effort over here on the news.

I'm only saying this because when he pulled out of bowling he threw the ball way outside the line of the batsman and thus didn't seem to be throwing it at him:

That was ****ing hilarious. I mean the bloke's got a test bowling average of 40 ffs, he must have been charged at a hundred times - why would he struggle to cope with it? Look on his face was gold.

Cam7

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This whole referral system is utter bull****. Not only are the 3rd umpires being incredibly inconsistent with LBW's, they are getting them wrong (Mills). With actual video footage (no hawkeye crap) it never looked like it was going to hit the stumps.
I disagree completely that the ball in the Mills dismissal never looked like it was going to hit the stumps. The video footage indicated that it was possibly going to at least clip the leg stump (and Hawkeye later suggested the same thing). That said, I think the decision to give Mills out was completely wrong because there was certainly a lot of doubt and Mills wasn't given the benefit of that doubt.

Believe it or not, Hawkeye is a lot more accurate than some of the video footage from the TV cameras, so I don't know why you think it's "crap". The video footage can sometimes be misleading when it comes to LBWs, due to the high end-on cameras sometimes not being absolutely in line with the wicket. In fact, the "super slo-mo" cameras (which show the extreme close-ups of the ball) are never in line with the wicket, so they can be highly misleading if they're used to judge LBW decisions. Hawkeye, on the other hand, is calibrated to a high level of accuracy and, therefore, it gives a much better representation of the actual flight-path of the ball relevant to the exact line between the wickets.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I disagree completely that the ball in the Mills dismissal never looked like it was going to hit the stumps. The video footage indicated that it was possibly going to at least clip the leg stump (and Hawkeye later suggested the same thing). That said, I think the decision to give Mills out was completely wrong because there was certainly a lot of doubt and Mills wasn't given the benefit of that doubt.
Agreed.
Not only was there doubt, but How had been given not out yesterday in almost exactly the same situation. That being, the ball looked like it could just be shaving the leg stump but there was enough doubt to not over-turn the umpires decision.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I agree as well. With Mills there was clearly some doubt, and if there is doubt, then the 3rd umpire should always stick with the on field umpires decision, whether he gave it in or out.

I can see tomorrow going two ways. Either Gayle gets out early and the windies splutter to be all out for under 200, or Gayle and Chanderpaul pile on the runs and finish the day with a 300+ lead.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
7 for Edwards. Awesome.
May I request one or two details on how he bowled? I know seven wickets points to a good performance, but was it merely seven wicket taking deliveries or sustained pressure or hostile wicket taking bowling, etc.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
May I request one or two details on how he bowled? I know seven wickets points to a good performance, but was it merely seven wicket taking deliveries or sustained pressure or hostile wicket taking bowling, etc.
He actually should've had 9. Both McIntosh and McCullum were dropped off his bowling. Having said that, while he bowled well, there were still plenty of loose deliveries being served up. He bowled best right at the end, when the light was gloomy and the kiwi's were running scared. He generally looked better yesterday, where he kept it tight and his short ball had McIntosh in trouble often.

The wickets
How: pulled a long hop straight to square leg. Batsman error.
Flynn: clever slower ball that the batsman popped back to the bowler. Bowler's wicket.
Taylor: lazy stroke to a good ball. 50/50
Ryder: even lazier waft to a wide half volley. Batsman error.
Vettori: caught out by the pace trying to run it down fine. Bowler's wicket.
Mills: dubiously given out lbw. Bowler's wicket
Patel: good bouncer into the ribs that was parried to short leg. Bowler's wicket.

Last edited:

Nutter

U19 Debutant
Believe it or not, Hawkeye is a lot more accurate than some of the video footage from the TV cameras, so I don't know why you think it's "crap".
After reading up on Hawkeye and seeing that it's used for brain surgery and missile path tracking, I have absolutely no problem with the accuracy of Hawkeye either.

Didn't see Mills' LBW though. Did manage to see Sarwan's LBW, and I thought that definitely looked out even without Hawkeye, once it was determined ball hit pad before bat.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Trust the West Indies to provide two moments in the past two days of sheer comedy brilliance. Ramdin and Edwards ****-up I thought was unbeatable but Powell chucking his toys out of the pram just tipped it for me. :laugh:

Feel for coach Dyson.