• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Channel 9 Commentators - Very Poor Form

Redbacks

International Captain
I can vaguely remember hearing we have 20% of the worlds poker machines in Australia. A team like the Panthers in the NRL make $50 million from pokie revenue a season with AFL clubs looking to follow suit.

just found the link for the stat of 20%, although the number itself isn't sourced.
Economy and Lifestyle

*Gambling - Per Capita, Australians spend more money on gambling than any other nation.

*With less than 1 percent of the world's population, Australia has more than 20 percent of its poker machines.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It "made" Ian Healy sound stupid? :huh:

If they weren't talking crap about that, they'd have been talking about something even more irrelevant, like the direction of a slight breeze, design of the scoreboard or run rate less than 3 during the first six overs of an innings.
I definitely should have meant 'more stupid' :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True, but you can't ban everything because some people are vulnerable. Admittedly, constantly mentioning Betfair throughout the day's play would be annoying. There's a fair chance though that anyone with a gambling problem is already at the TAB/has their bets on in advance. I doubt too many people sitting at home go "Bloody hell...I know nothing about cricket...let's throw $200 on Ntini as the highest scorer...Gee, I lost, but this is addictive!"
You'd be surprised. Clearly the example you give is extreme, but just because gambling is mentioned in context with cricket doesn't mean people sitting listening are going to go out and bet on cricket.

For people trying to wean themselves off gambling, having it constantly mentioned when they're trying to put it from their mind is not helpful at all. Whether you're trying to over-cosset people or not is a moot point. I'd say it's useless enough - advertising gambling that is - to the overwhelming majority (if not everyone) that you could justify not allowing it even if the number of people vulnerable is tiny.

Last edited:

gwo

U19 Debutant
Highlights, which I watch a great deal of, tend to cut-out rubbish like commentators pushing ads on this and that.
Giving you a better idea of how a player performs as opposed to National Selectors.

Right?

Right guys?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
National selectors as a rule are poor so I probably do have a better idea than most of them, yes.

pasag

RTDAS
It's smart, I'll give it that. Just another form of product placement that's becoming more and more prominent these days.

gwo

U19 Debutant
My bad.

Let me phrase my last post again.

"Giving you (Mighty Richard Dick of replay watching) a better idea of how a player performs as opposed to National Selectors (people who actually watch whole test matches... every single ball)."

Go again

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope, but unlike Dick, I actually don't just watch highlights.
As I say, you really don't have much of a clue what you're on about. Thinking I "just watch highlights" is, well, woefully wrong, plain and simple.

gwo

U19 Debutant
If..

A

The apparent C9 attempts to bypass this or that - which I clearly don't watch enough live play to notice, either that or I just switch to forget-within-5-seconds mode
and

B

I actually watch enough cricket to notice this blatant advertising

then

C

either I watch a hell of a lot more cricket than you or I pay attention and actually absorb information better than yourself.

Now if you watch a lot of cricket and can't notice this rubbish then I'm just going to have to come to the conclusion that you don't generally absorb information well. Now to say that you absorb your "highlights" better than selectors can through watching whole test matches, suggests you absorb information well.

So its one or the other.
1. You don't watch a lot of cricket (like I do) and thus absorb information extremely well and you can become a cricket forum guru.

or

2. You do watch a lot of cricket and fail at absorbing information big time.

Take your pick Dicky

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You do realise that cricket is played outside Australia?

Wouldn't be surprised if not mind.