• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
They need to move Benaud on, he's gone senile. Spends the whole of his stints wafting on about the wind. It's even worse at Adelaide when he spends hours upon hours telling stories from the 40's about the ****ing scoreboard.

Stapel

International Regular
Well well, the 9th wicket falls with the last ball of the day. This 38-runs-9th-wicket partnership might prove to be important! This match is set up wonderfully! Is 350 really below par here? It certainly is not when Hayden, Ponting and Hussey are out for 12 runs between them :) .

Can't wait to see hom the Saffies will respond tomorrow.

Craig

World Traveller
Well well, the 9th wicket falls with the last ball of the day. This 38-runs-9th-wicket partnership might prove to be important! This match is set up wonderfully! Is 350 really below par here? It certainly is not when Hayden, Ponting and Hussey are out for 12 runs between them :) .

Yes IMO.

inbox24

International Debutant

I reckon par would be about 500-550. McKenzie for a double tomorrow.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
What a fan-****ing-tastic day's test cricket. Everything you want from the opening day of a test series - the bowling spearheads ripping through a top order (Ntini equals too-easily overlooked gun - almost caught up with Malcolm Marshall's wicket tally = respect) - a determined, patient and classy rebuilding effort by two classy batsmen, another momentum change, a spirited counter-attack from some shot makers, before the tail enders throw the bat a bit and have some laughs. Oh, and Australia scoring nearly 350 in a day's play.

As the saying goes, we won't know what a good score is on this pitch until both teams have had a go, but its fair to say that the conditions probably won't be as good for bowling tomorrow morning as they were today, and you'd suspect the Aussies have slighty underachieved, in one sense. On the other hand, 300+ from 3/15 is an awesome effort, and one you'd take if you were told Hayden would go for 12 and Ponting and Hussey for a duck. The Saffies looked close to losing the plot a couple of times through the day, but they stuck at it - they look to be a very good team, with players that believe in themselves and know their job. Should be a cracking season.

Steyn turned out to be merely a very good strike bowler with plenty of obvious assets, rather than the second coming of Barnes/Marshall/Lillee rolled into one, but he's going to be a consistent threat this series. Wrapped with how well Ntini bowled - always liked the guy and when he's on its fantastic to watch.

Also wrapped that Katich was so gun, and with Clarke's effort, til he lost his head against Harris. Good to see Haddin keep up his momentum, and Symonds do something to repay the massive faith shown in him.

Here's hoping Lee, Johnson, Siddle and Krejza can do the job tomorrow - the loss of Prince pre-match may yet be a pivotal blow in this match.

jondavluc

State Regular
I reckon par would be about 500-550. McKenzie for a double tomorrow.
???you got to be joking if thats par than this test will end up a draw personelly I felt more runs would of being great but not that many.Par personelly would be 350-360 but 450 would have be a great score.South Africa to me could of bowled better and get us to 250 but sadly that didn't happen.If Australia can play better 350 might be more than enough to win anyways Thats based on today and not on the conditions of the full test. I can't call and I won't this test so far is evenly poised and I will wait for day 3 or 4 before I make judgements on that score.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa's problem in their batting lineup now is that they have no tail. Morkel's a solid number 8 against pace- clueless against spin but i don't think Krejza will have much of a say this innings. Harris has the most ridiculous technique ever but somehow it gets him 10 or so runs sometimes. Ntini and Steyn are prank-batsmen.

Anyway, as for the score, i'd say 400 is par for Australia. The pitch is playing fantastically beyond the first morning, Australia got themselves out mainly.

inbox24

International Debutant
Guys calm down. As we all heard today the wicket will just get flatter and flatter so it will either be South Africa getting a huge lead and us trying to bat out a draw, or them trying to chase a big total. They've got so much in their favour at the moment with a fruitful blend of solid batsmen like Amla and McKenzie, and big aggressors like Smith and De Villiers. The pace of Lee, Johnson and Siddle will make them easy targets and they can just sit on Krejza, I mean, no need to take any risks. All are in good form and averaging near or above 50 with 1000+ calendar runs.

As we saw today, most of the wickets outside the first hour fell to aggressive shots, I really don't see South Africa giving it away that easily.

Uppercut

Guys calm down. As we all heard today the wicket will just get flatter and flatter so it will either be South Africa getting a huge lead and us trying to bat out a draw, or them trying to chase a big total. They've got so much in their favour at the moment with a fruitful blend of solid batsmen like Amla and McKenzie, and big aggressors like Smith and De Villiers. The pace of Lee, Johnson and Siddle will make them easy targets and they can just sit on Krejza, I mean, no need to take any risks. All are in good form and averaging near or above 50 with 1000+ calendar runs.

As we saw today, most of the wickets outside the first hour fell to aggressive shots, I really don't see South Africa giving it away that easily.
Well i expect South Africa to pile on the runs too, but that doesn't mean 500 was a par score for Australia.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What an entertaining day of cricket. Was an amazing start to the match and Katich is just in such fine touch at the moment. Just as Australia look like getting on top South Africa hit back. Symonds was brilliant, as was Haddin, but both them and Clarke threw away their wickets when a big score was a definite possibility for all of them.

Credit to the South African bowlers, there is a genuine threat to their attack with each bowler having a different point of attack, Harris was superb. Will be an interesting day tomorrow. Hopefully South Africa don't get skittled and we can have a real entertaining match.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
India's bowlers found an unusual amount of swing in that test. If Australia can do the same they'll be well in with a chance.
indian bowlers have outstanding wrist position and release so they can swing it more than most sides.johnson has horrible seam position,it is up to lee and siddle is more of
a hit the deck bowler

Uppercut

indian bowlers have outstanding wrist position and release so they can swing it more than most sides.johnson has horrible seam position,it is up to lee and siddle is more of
a hit the deck bowler
It was RP Singh and Irfan Pathan who did the damage in that match. Hardly the embodiment of an outstanding wrist position and release.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Yeah, I reckon Kallis is due to go big. Could be on for a classic tommorow.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
It was RP Singh and Irfan Pathan who did the damage in that match. Hardly the embodiment of an outstanding wrist position and release.
are you joking?

r.p singh irfan pathan have outstanding wrist positions and release so the seam is up
most times watch some videos and try to find even 1 delivery where the seam position
is not upwright