• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think this was our only chance. We'll get slaughtered next time out. Kinda glad it's only a two-match rubber, rather lose 2-0 than 3-0 ;)
Have to agree, particularly given England won the toss and from all reports India batted worse than they have for donkeys years in their first innings.

Picking an innings victory to India in the 2nd test, of course I do hope I'm wrong

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Totally disagree with that & I'm not just being wise after the event. If you look though this thread you'd see I picked India to win as soon as Sehwag started the chase the way he did, even though I'm well aware 387 to win in the 4th innings of a test is a rarity.

I just felt with the combination of the India batting lineup, their ability to play spin and the decidedly average England bowling attack (with the obvious exception of Flintoff) that anything under 450 was achievable if they batted well, even if it meant setting a world record.
Yeah in hindsight I see exactly what you're saying but for me at the time the issues I had with the chase were Dravid who normally would anchor an innings is finished, Gambhir is still iffy at converting starts and we had to rely on Yuvi to do something of substance for us.

Obviously I should have taken into account Englands ability to show absolutely no backbone whatsoever at times but there you go.

Just chuffed I was shown to be too pessimistic :happy:

Zinzan

Yeah in hindsight I see exactly what you're saying but for me at the time the issues I had with the chase were Dravid who normally would anchor an innings is finished, Gambhir is still iffy at converting starts and we had to rely on Yuvi to do something of substance for us.

Obviously I should have taken into account Englands ability to show absolutely no backbone whatsoever at times but there you go.

Just chuffed I was shown to be too pessimistic :happy:
Ironically, had Dravid stayed in for a long period the chase might had actually been quite tight in terms of overs available, especially if you consider how slowly he's been scoring in the last 18 months or so.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but as of stumps last night I was still thinking of the match in terms of save first go for the win later in which case Rahul would've been vital.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah but as of stumps last night I was still thinking of the match in terms of save first go for the win later in which case Rahul would've been vital.
That was never going to happen. The chance of India batting-out the overs without scoring the runs was always close to zero.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Totally disagree with that & I'm not just being wise after the event. If you look though this thread you'd see I picked India to win as soon as Sehwag started the chase the way he did, even though I'm well aware 387 to win in the 4th innings of a test is a rarity.
There was still no real good reason to back India though - they were distinct second-favourites as of the fourth-day close. Just because you did and happened to be right doesn't mean the prediction was a sound one.

India had a massive task on their hands pretty much right up to Tea on the final afternoon - that was the first time they became genuine favourites. They pulled-off something pretty sensational, however bad England's bowling, and to say they should have been expected to do it is rather a poor degredation of such a fabulous effort.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm in Vietnam atm but let me just say...

**** YEAH!

I love you Sachin. And Sehwag, you are a champion.

Uppercut

There was still no real good reason to back India though - they were distinct second-favourites as of the fourth-day close. Just because you did and happened to be right doesn't mean the prediction was a sound one.
That's a fallacy Dicko, just because you judged England as favourites doesn't make it so, especially when the majority held the opposite opinion. I can see what you're trying to say, that if you were to play that day over again ten times, England would win six or seven of those. Unfortunately though, it doesn't work like that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most people thought India were favourites, apart from ultra-pessimistic England fans (and even they probably knew deep down that England should've won but were too scared to say it), though. That's the thing. The overwhelming likelihood was that a team in England's position would win. Far, far more than 6 or 7 out of 10. I'd say 19 out of 20 at least.

Even in the last 6-7 years, fourth-innings totals as high as those are precious few, and that's not because of the pitches, it's because of the sheer crushing nature of the task at hand. In fact, you know, totals of 400 are still in the minority even now!

India were rank outsiders. Anyone who picked them to win picked lucky, simple as. And as I say, it's somewhat of an insult to a sensational performance to essentially say it's something they should be expected to pull-off. What India did last Test was something you are never, ever going to see very often, whatever direction Test cricket heads in.

Uppercut

Most people thought India were favourites, apart from ultra-pessimistic England fans (and even they probably knew deep down that England should've won but were too scared to say it), though. That's the thing. The overwhelming likelihood was that a team in England's position would win. Far, far more than 6 or 7 out of 10. I'd say 19 out of 20 at least.
That's just not true, as the evidence i posted on bookmaker odds all but proves. More people were betting on India to win after close on day four than were betting on England to win, even though they were the same price. Have you got a bigger sample than those several hundred thousand people? Or do you just think most people had England as favourites because you did?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd be interested to see where those betters come from. And how informed about cricket they are. And the stuff posted about bookies, odds, favourites and the like suggested to me that such things aren't really attention-worthy when considering who is actually more likely to win.

As I said - look at the number of totals of 400 or so; look at the number in the fourth-innings. There is absolutely no way you can justifiably say, if you understand cricket, that India were favourites.

Evermind

International Debutant
That's a fallacy Dicko, just because you judged England as favourites doesn't make it so, especially when the majority held the opposite opinion.
As silly as Dicko is at times, this is one of rare times he has a point. England were definitely favourites after setting India 387. Perhaps after Sehwag's blitz it was different, but certainly they were favourites at the end of the 3rd innings. I would've given India a 10% chance of getting there.

Uppercut

I'd be interested to see where those betters come from. And how informed about cricket they are. And the stuff posted about bookies, odds, favourites and the like suggested to me that such things aren't really attention-worthy when considering who is actually more likely to win.

As I said - look at the number of totals of 400 or so; look at the number in the fourth-innings. There is absolutely no way you can justifiably say, if you understand cricket, that India were favourites.
Look at the still-decent quality of the pitch, the relative quality of the teams, the momentum of the game, hell, look at what actually happened. If i were judging the odds i'd have had England as favourites for sure, but believe me- the bookmakers know better than me, you, or anyone without insider knowledge the likelihood of an event taking place. If you disagree with that, i challenge you to take them on in the other thread :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I come back once again to this post on the matter. I don't think bookmakers' odds are neccessarily the ultimate thing for judging which way a cricket match is going to go, even if the bookmakers are indeed the best at making money via gambling.

Uppercut

I come back once again to this post on the matter. I don't think bookmakers' odds are neccessarily the ultimate thing for judging which way a cricket match is going to go, even if the bookmakers are indeed the best at making money via gambling.
Oh, certainly. But what that does prove is that marginally more people thought India would win than thought England would win. Which is surprising, but it's pretty impossible to argue with a sample that size.

Really what you bet on is the fact that you know more about what will happen than the average person betting. The bookmakers make money because most people (almost everyone in fact) think they do when they don't. You, clearly, think you do (not an unrealistic thought i hasten to add, given your interest in cricket) so i thought you might like a shot at seeing if you do.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not if those people were thinking the same way as the bookies - ie, were trying to make a profit.

And, as I say, if they were people who just bet on stuff, without particularly knowing the ins and outs and nuances of cricket, then the fact they thought India would win isn't too relevant to me. If I was a betting man I might think someone would win a boxing match - but given I know sod-all about boxing, I'd not expect anyone to take the fact that I bet on a boxer winning Match X with any seriousness when analysing the boxing itself.

Uppercut

Not if those people were thinking the same way as the bookies - ie, were trying to make a profit.
India and England were the same price though i.e. you'd have won the same amount betting on India as you would have betting on England.

And, as I say, if they were people who just bet on stuff, without particularly knowing the ins and outs and nuances of cricket, then the fact they thought India would win isn't too relevant to me. If I was a betting man I might think someone would win a boxing match - but given I know sod-all about boxing, I'd not expect anyone to take the fact that I bet on a boxer winning Match X with any seriousness when analysing the boxing itself.
Most people don't bet on things they know nothing about, it's a surefire way to lose a lot of money. If they did, you'd have a really good margin for profit with the odds heavily swollen by thickos. And you're acutely aware that there's no such margin available.