• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just heard that Sehwags 50 yesterday was the fastest ever by an opener.
If that really is the case, I'm quite astonished.

I wonder if whoever's record it was he broke was a middle-order batsman manufactured up the order as well?

cricman

International 12th Man
Anyone think that Sachin will get to 50 Test Tons?

Fab knock from the little master, Dravid to Score runs in the next Test :ph34r:

Precambrian

Banned
Just was watching the highlights:

Made my cricketing day, month and year
Tendulkar ton
Tendulkar ton in the 4th innings
Tendulkar ton in a winning cause
Tendulkar ton in a tough chase
Tendulkar ton off the last ball
Tendulkar ton off the winning runs.

Apart from that, Fred's awesome commitment. Was so sorry for the chap, astounded at his willingness to come in hard every time asked to. There was this delivery to Gambhir, where he incorporated a light improvisation to his action by not bringing the leading arm around at the time of delivery, virtually bowling as if his left hand was immobile, Gambhir was :wacko: and almost..almost played on. And then he beat Tendulkar when he was batting on 80odd. Not to mention the times he had Yuvraj hopping and groping. Only..Only if he had some semblance of support from the other side and a bit of luck.

And Tendulkar has taken up the additional responsibility of being the pillar around which others can play around, a role he has presumably assumed from Rahul Dravid. He has minimized risk to almost zero, and yet somehow ensures the scoreboard ticking, a build-up on the Dravidian style. This was for me his most perfect innings. Just to appease the "elitist" ****er in me (ty Geg), he unleashed a cover drive and a paddle sweep with such timing right at the death of the English counterattack.

Oh, for that innings!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apart from that, Fred's awesome commitment. Was so sorry for the chap, astounded at his willingness to come in hard every time asked to. There was this delivery to Gambhir, where he incorporated a light improvisation to his action by not bringing the leading arm around at the time of delivery, virtually bowling as if his left hand was immobile, Gambhir was :wacko: and almost..almost played on.
Haha, yeah, was like "... wow, he confused him there didn't he?" when I saw that.

Flintoff does that a fair bit (as our friend zaremba pointed-out a little while back) but he had Gambhir hook line and that time. Didn't, quite, result in a wicket though.

Precambrian

Banned
Methinks enourous 4th innings chases like this are going to stop being such an anomally
Not when teams like Bangladesh exist to disturb the otherwise serene looking test scene. TBF England was so on top for 3 days and one session, and they should be proud of their effort. The final difference was Tendulkar, and a bit of luck.

And probably no Udal.

Precambrian

Banned
Haha, yeah, was like "... wow, he confused him there didn't he?" when I saw that.

Flintoff does that a fair bit (as our friend zaremba pointed-out a little while back) but he had Gambhir hook line and that time. Didn't, quite, result in a wicket though.
He also produced a ripper to snare Dravid. And on another day would have got both Yuvraj and Gambhir, getting both into a mental tangle as to whether leave or play the delivery and in the end both ending up hanging the bat, and the ball kissing the edge landing short of the slips.

I think Flintoff and Zaheer are two bowlers who are ridiculously under-rewarded for their efforts. Maybe it's karma, balancing out the Mitchell Johnsons.

krkode

State Captain
He also produced a ripper to snare Dravid. And on another day would have got both Yuvraj and Gambhir, getting both into a mental tangle as to whether leave or play the delivery and in the end both ending up hanging the bat, and the ball kissing the edge landing short of the slips.

I think Flintoff and Zaheer are two bowlers who are ridiculously under-rewarded for their efforts. Maybe it's karma, balancing out the Mitchell Johnsons.
Yeah, Zaheer looked like he was trying incredibly hard. Reminds me of Srinath back in the day - these are two guys who bowled their hearts out, but were ultimately not as fortunate with respect to wickets.

Zaheer's economy in this game was impeccable, too. Under 2 RPO in both innings.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Certainly i'd agree, had a minor rant about the overuse of stats about how little it's been done earlier this thread.
Not when teams like Bangladesh exist to disturb the otherwise serene looking test scene. TBF England was so on top for 3 days and one session, and they should be proud of their effort. The final difference was Tendulkar, and a bit of luck.

And probably no Udal.
Nope don't bring Bangladesh's direness where it does not belong, especially considering the near impossibility of the current XI of setting massive 4th innings chases.

The shrtage of large 4th innings chases imo has alot to do with the quality of the pitch as the relative strenght of the XIs on the pitch. I suspect that now cricket squares are much better looked after than before they are fewer and fewer day 5 minefields than eer before hence the idea of chasing after 250+ score is no longer quite the nightmare it once was so long as the players hold their nerve as India did today and England did against NZ at Old Trafford (to bring in an older example)

simmy

International Regular
Swann > Monty... never thought I would say that!!

Sehwag and Tendulkar were unreal... wp India.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Greatest victory from india in this decade.Absolutely gave zero chance when gambhir was dismissed and went to bed. Woke up to see the last 60 runs and the great game by india.Tendulkar winning it by chasing 387 with a 103* was all the more sweeter.
Chak de India. This innings should give confidence to indian team to chase huge 4th innings score in subcontinent.
May be we might see the best of tendulkar in his 3rd or 4th innings in near future. Also Sehwag has started improving his 3rd and 4th innings average this year, something which is good.
But i donno whether yuvraj making tis 85 is good for india cricket.It was good for this match, but in future for team india....
Well done dravid. We enjoyed seeing you play for the country and serving well.Time for you to make it official or drop yourself off from the team to work on your game.