• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

JBH001

International Regular
Damn, looks such an awesome test match! Come on England! Was hoping for an upset, but Sehwag has confounded all predictions...

Edit/ Am also a little surprised by the sporting declaration. I expected England to close with half a session or less on the fourth day with India chasing 400+.

kingkallis

International Coach
What a player Sehwag is! A certain match winner! If Dravid and Gambhir can see off the 1st hour then Sachin, Yuvraj, Laxman and Dhoni will easy score 200 in last 2 sessions!

Gonna be a great day of Cricket!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pah, hoped we'd have an optimist somewhere. :dry: Just hope his plain wrong predictions don't turn-out to be right through lucky chance this time.

Oh, and go and discuss your football somewhere else FFS. Move these damn posts to it to while you're at it.
If those posts get moved it would be a joke! :-O

Evermind

International Debutant
What a player Sehwag is! A certain match winner! If Dravid and Gambhir can see off the 1st hour then Sachin, Yuvraj, Laxman and Dhoni will easy score 200 in last 2 sessions!

Gonna be a great day of Cricket!
Ya I'll definitely be putting all my life savings on a Yuvraj century tmw thx.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Still fancy us slightly, but have a horrible feeling that I will awake to India being like 250-2 or something :unsure:
:laugh:

That's such a familiar feeling as an English cricket fan. I remember waking up at about 5am on the 5th day of the Adelaide test in 06/07 and it was just "For ****'s sake. I bloody knew it."

Depends how wide "best" is.

"Ten best" I would agree with, even taking into account qualifying fiasco.
Yeah, that's fair enough for mine. Now Don Fabio has us looking like something approaching an actual team rather than a random collection of XI individuals who'd just been introduced I'd have us top dozen.

Whilst there are promising signs so far in his reign, that is all they are and we have done nothing of note yet.
TBF beating a team who'd never lost a competitive fixture at home, ever, 4-1 is mildly noteworthy IMHO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

That's such a familiar feeling as an English cricket fan. I remember waking up at about 5am on the 5th day of the Adelaide test in 06/07 and it was just "For ****'s sake. I bloody knew it."

Yeah, that's fair enough for mine. Now Don Fabio has us looking like something approaching an actual team rather than a random collection of XI individuals who'd just been introduced I'd have us top dozen.

TBF beating a team who'd never lost a competitive fixture at home, ever, 4-1 is mildly noteworthy IMHO.
Yeah, Adelaide is one of the worst getting up in the morning experiences I've had. The other was probably the end of day one at Brisbane, it was like 945-3 or something.

As for the footy team, yeah fair enough the 4-1 win was impressive, not enough for us to be labelled one of the best in the world, yet, IMO.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, that was the worst. The first day of the Ashes in 1994/5, 2002/3 and 2006/7 were also dreadfully anticlimatic, but losing the Adeliade test in those circumstances was gut wrenching. Perhaps Multan in 2005/06 was similar to how this might feel if we do go on and lose it. Obv we shouldn't, but we know our bowling is weak and that India have some wonderful batsmen, so it could happen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard... just noticed this. Your avatar looks like CW n ! Is that right and what does it mean?
You're absolutely right, that's what it is and has always been (not always so obvious on the rainbow version).

I'll take it the asking what it stands for is a piece of jest. :p

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's very interesting how many people have England as heavy favourites here. Elsewhere, all the money is going on India.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am also a little surprised by the sporting declaration. I expected England to close with half a session or less on the fourth day with India chasing 400+.
Can thank England's baffling tactics for that. They got less runs and less time by playing the way they did than they might well have got had they played a little differently.

Not massively differently, just a little.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's very interesting how many people have England as heavy favourites here. Elsewhere, all the money is going on India.
Always said CW offers a higher calibre of cricket discussion than elsewhere. Saying India are favourites is plain lunacy. They obviously can't be counted-out and anyone who presumed England are going to win would be being highly foolish TSTL, but England are still firm favourites.

Uppercut

Always said CW offers a higher calibre of cricket discussion than elsewhere. Saying India are favourites is plain lunacy. They obviously can't be counted-out and anyone who presumed England are going to win would be being highly foolish TSTL, but England are still firm favourites.
The bookies are rarely wrong, though. I'd love to believe CW has a margin on them but i fear that may be wishful thinking.

Still, if i were betting, i'd take England every time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know who bookies employ as their cricket experts, but I highly doubt their expertise is greater than that of a cricket fan.

Uppercut

I don't know who bookies employ as their cricket experts, but I highly doubt their expertise is greater than that of a cricket fan.
Have you ever bet on sports? Strangely, too much knowledge often clouds your judgement.

But occasionally the bookies do give something away regarding cricket. For the third India-SA test, with all pitch reports and both captains saying it was one of the worst pitches for batting they'd seen, William Hill had the draw as 6/4 joint favourite outcome along with the India win. I wouldn't put this down as a blunder of anywhere near the same level, but the odds are based to some extent on how much money they take for each outcome. Barely anyone, whatever their expertise, ever manages to predict results with enough accuracy to make a great deal of money from them.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I've only watched about 1 hour of this Test, however, I think it's still very, very even.

I saw enough of Gambhir in the recent series against Australia to think that he's a massive wicket, get him out early and the English are on their way, if not they could be in some trouble, I think Dravid is due btw.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have you ever bet on sports? Strangely, too much knowledge often clouds your judgement.
I haven't - not a better and never have been, never known of anyone make a profit on it - and I can't quite fully comprehend what you say. Maybe I will sometime when it's not 10:15 of a nighttime when I had 5 hours sleep the previous night.