• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Either you cruelly downgrade the English bowling, or you are joking.

The max score chased successfully in the last innings at Chennai is 155/8.

The fact that 155/8 is the max score successfully chased is no more relevant than the fact that the last time someone batted on the fifth day there they scored 311/5. You have to look at every individual situation to see what the real prospects are.

Fourth-innings chase records are the most overused and irrelevant stats in cricket. The pitch isn't a shocker and if this pitch was being used on the first day of a test, 388 would be an above-par score but not an impossible one.

EDIT- also India have chased 347 to tie a test there. Forgot about that.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The game was never gone. TBH, I always thought an India win was more likely than a draw. If India batted 110 overs then they could chase it down.
A draw was always extraordinarily unlikely. If England didn't win, India would. It was merely a case of an England victory seeming a near formality, but Sehwag has now changed matters.

If I wasn't an England fan I'd still feel extremely confident of the defending team winning the match from this position.

biased indian

International Coach
Engalnd are still the firm fav ...for india to have any chance they have to bring that target to 2 digit figure with atleast 7 wickets in hands or the minimum 6

Uppercut

A draw was always extraordinarily unlikely. If England didn't win, India would. It was merely a case of an England victory seeming a near formality, but Sehwag has now changed matters.

If I wasn't an England fan I'd still feel extremely confident of the defending team winning the match from this position.
Their two spinners could make the difference, I'd certainly back England to get the win tomorrow. Interestingly though, betting exchanges have India as favourites quite comfortably, and even the English bookies have it neck-and-neck.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly reckon if India were to win, it'd need Yuvraj to be walking to the crease with victory already close to assured.

Gambhir and Dravid will surely have to put-on another 50-60 minimum tomorrow, then if Gambhir\Dravid\Tendulkar\Laxman can add another 100-120 for the next couple of wickets, they're firmly in the driving-seat, and if they can add another 150 for that couple, of course, it's virtually game in the bag.

However Yuvraj plays, I can't see him contributing greatly to a victory. Which, of course, probably means he'll walk in at 170 for 4 and play a dazzling 140* to lead India to a 2-wicket victory.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What an innings from Sehwag, especially the first 50.

LOL @ his whining to Pietersen though, get over it

Still fancy us slightly, but have a horrible feeling that I will awake to India being like 250-2 or something :unsure:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
... have a horrible feeling that I will awake to India being like 250-2 or something :unsure:
Yeah, me too. Sehag's given them such a start that I'd be astonished if India lost it from here.

Even allowing for the genius of the little man, how bad are Harmison & Anderson's figures? Beyond embarassing for guys who are supposed to do this for a living.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
In Anderson's defence, there was a lack of conventional swing and grass on the wicket which makes it extremely difficult for a the skiddy swing bowler. Harmison just seems to have not hit his rhythm, tbh, he is seemingly jogging in uncomfortably and just trying to put the ball on the spot rather than hit the pitch.

Neil Pickup

I'm petrified. The only thing that I can see is the slow relaxation of our grip, eyes darting from one man to the next as everyone searches for another man to take responsibility, to take hold of the game and to shape its destiny.

I have a feeling that it may be Fred or bust.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He can't do it on his own :(
'Course he can. Pietersen throws him the ball early tomorrow, he knocks-over Dravid and Tendulkar in his first 4 overs and the game's as good as won. Thing is, even for ol' Fred, that's a tall ask.

England are still in a stronger position than most of our supporters are willing to admit.
Sehag's given them such a start that I'd be astonished if India lost it from here.
That's just completely over-egging it. An Indian victory has gone from implausible to plausible, but no more than that - yet. Supporting England teaches you to expect disaster sooner than you expect triumph, but it was and remains the case that it'll be a minor miracle if India pull-off this chase. I won't feel all that disappointed if they do TBH - being beaten by what would be such a sensational performance would be no disgrace whatsoever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm petrified. The only thing that I can see is the slow relaxation of our grip, eyes darting from one man to the next as everyone searches for another man to take responsibility, to take hold of the game and to shape its destiny.
Strauss has already shaped most of this game's "destiny" (more accurate term: outcome) in England's favour. All it needs is someone to finish the job. Not a terribly difficult task, but when 2\5ths of it is entrusted to James Anderson and Stephen Harmison, 1\5th to a debutant 30-year-old, 1\5th to a fingerspinner who can be brilliant on occasions but can also occasionally be a huge letdown when things are in his favour, it's a not-terribly-difficult-task you'd probably feel quite a bit less confident in the completion of than normal.

Precambrian

Banned
England was astonishingly defensive today. I mean, with 7 wickets in hand, how'd you go without a boundary for 16+ overs at a time? It wasnt like India was bowling that well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I started watching just as India were coming out to bat, so never saw our batting. However, from the sound of things, they should have been able to put another 50 or so on the board and still had the same amount of time to bowl at India - very disappointing.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
it is still advantage england though...i don't think 256 is going to be anywhere near easy...think there is a high probability of india getting bowled out on this 5th day track...

Last edited:

Uppercut

The situation will inspire Dravid and he'll knock off most of the runs, followed by a mini-collapse. Dhoni will nudge India over the line.

OR

An inspired early-morning spell of bowling from Fred will pick up one or two wickets when it seems like it should pick up all nine. Nevertheless, it'll swing the momentum back in England's favour and Swann and Monty will knock over the rest between them.

Big opportunity for Gambhir to show his critics he's not just a flat-track man too.