• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I stopped caring about the results when I saw what was happening to the team & the personell.. I'd rather them all have been losing than winning so disrepectfully.

No-one will speak of this current Aussie side with any affection or respect. And the rammifications in lower grade cricket here will reverberate for years.
Kidding yourself. Plenty of people both admire and respect them.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Kidding yourself. Plenty of people both admire and respect them.
Maybe in downtown Parramatta.. but don't count the rest of the world where we have become a byword for gamesmanship and unsportsmanlike behavior

When Collingwood lost the one-day captaincy after a shocker against New Zealand where he upheld an appeal for run-out after a collison he admitted that he was only taking a cue from the Aussie handbook.

We used to play it hard & fair but now we only play it hard.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Loving these sweeping generalisations
Matey as a 20 year veteran of Australian district & sub-district cricket I am more than just a day tripper. We are a bloody disgrace to our own country and we are only just waking up from the nightmare.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I stopped caring about the results when I saw what was happening to the team & the personell.. I'd rather them all have been losing than winning so disrepectfully.

No-one will speak of this current Aussie side with any affection or respect. And the rammifications in lower grade cricket here will reverberate for years.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No idea why I'm poting this here but just realised SBS has the rights to the Ashes again :happy:

Even though I have cable am still so chuffed it's on FTA.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
:yawn: You're shocking me with startling revelations that I've never heard in my three years on this site, and 25 years of watching cricket!

Think the ugly Australian story is one of the biggest exaggerations in world sport to be honest - we're no worse (and certainly no better) than plenty of other teams. Do some of the individuals occasionally do some immature and more rarely, stupid/obnoxious things? Certainly. Does this necessarily mean that they're terrible people, or that we should feel ashamed of them, or invalidate their other achievements? Not really, not at the level of those actions. Are they the first team in history to feature a few combative peope who occasionally fall into the category of being a jerk? Not by a bloody long shot.

If you're seriously suggesting that there are not plenty of people who aren't bogans and still admire players like Brett Lee, Adam Gilchrist, Mike Hussey, Justin Langer, and yes, Glenn McGrath, Matthew Hayden and Ricky Ponting, you're simply wrong. Sport would be better if people stopped expecting the players to be good at anything other than chasing/throwing/hitting/kicking a ball. I draw the line at violent or otherwise serious criminal or dangerous activity, and at racial or religious abuse, but otherwise, if Warne wants to smoke like a chimney while banging everything that moves, if McGrath wants to say that every opponent he meets is a goose, if Ponting wants to persistently and loudly appeal at anything that looks like a chance, and if Hayden wants to tell people they're ****ing hacks who are too ****ing ugly to play cricket, I'm really not going to lose too much sleep over it.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Matey as a 20 year veteran of Australian district & sub-district cricket I am more than just a day tripper. We are a bloody disgrace to our own country and we are only just waking up from the nightmare.
Sorry if you feel troll like tendancies matey I would say that you were in denial I just want to talk about cricket. Can you contribute to this thread cricket wise?
To be fair to Top Cat, who's generally an excellent contributor to cricket, and any other, conversations - if you don't want to be mocked, you're best to avoid such panty-wringing, hysterically overwrought, dramaticizations as the first quoted post.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:yawn: You're shocking me with startling revelations that I've never heard in my three years on this site, and 25 years of watching cricket!

Think the ugly Australian story is one of the biggest exaggerations in world sport to be honest - we're no worse (and certainly no better) than plenty of other teams. Do some of the individuals occasionally do some immature and more rarely, stupid/obnoxious things? Certainly. Does this necessarily mean that they're terrible people, or that we should feel ashamed of them, or invalidate their other achievements? Not really, not at the level of those actions. Are they the first team in history to feature a few combative peope who occasionally fall into the category of being a jerk? Not by a bloody long shot.

If you're seriously suggesting that there are not plenty of people who aren't bogans and still admire players like Brett Lee, Adam Gilchrist, Mike Hussey, Justin Langer, and yes, Glenn McGrath, Matthew Hayden and Ricky Ponting, you're simply wrong. Sport would be better if people stopped expecting the players to be good at anything other than chasing/throwing/hitting/kicking a ball. I draw the line at violent or otherwise serious criminal or dangerous activity, and at racial or religious abuse, but otherwise, if Warne wants to smoke like a chimney while banging everything that moves, if McGrath wants to say that every opponent he meets is a goose, if Ponting wants to persistently and loudly appeal at anything that looks like a chance, and if Hayden wants to tell people they're ****ing hacks who are too ****ing ugly to play cricket, I'm really not going to lose too much sleep over it.
Top rant. Completely agree.

Ernest

U19 12th Man

I am not saying that we should sanitise sport. How much did gilly get pilloried for waliking in the world cup semi final? Mate I have heaps of cricket on tape at my joint. In the 50's if there was any doubt about a dismissal then the wicketkeeper would call it. It happened even against Derek Randall (with Rod Marsh as the wicketkeeper) in the 1978 centennary test.

Look all I am saying is that our reputation for fair play has been eroded by idiots like Ian Chappell and Ricky Ponting. I am waiting for the kind of dignity that Mark Taylor embodied when he was captain that we haven't started to copy since Gilly walked.

I love my country but the current lot are a disgrace and winning is irrelevant compared to the mouthy irereverant behaviour that has existed recently. I am only 32 but wish I was 62 so I could associate myself with a much more dignified and knowledgable cricket ambassador. I blush with shame every time the Australian "captain" makes a statement.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member

Johnners

Love the "back in the good old days" types. Stick to watching tapes in black 'n white if the professional era is really that bad.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Love the "back in the good old days" types. Stick to watching tapes in black 'n white if the professional era is really that bad.
Nice to place someone in a box hey..

I love to place people in the dumb as dog s*** catagory when it comes to cricket a little like asking how an American views the great game.

Congrats you have just qualified for the same consideration. Hope this goes in your pool room.

kingkallis

International Coach
A good one from KEO!

Cabinet for Sale - details below

DISPLAY CABINET, one of the most elegant and functional display cabinets currently on the market.

Features

Fine timber details
4 leadlight options
4 side access doors (there is maximum frontal display)
Adjustable shelves are extra deep to accommodate large items
Halogen down lights
Mirror back with glass shelves provide max illumination of collectables from top to bottom.
To give indication of size of the Cabinet it previously held the following:

Rugby League World Cup
Rugby Union World Cup
International Rules Trophy
Tri Nations Trophy
Super-12 Trophy
Trans-Tasman Touch Football Trophy
Davis Cup
Hockey World Championship Trophy
and the

Bledisloe Cup.

All these trophies are now overseas and the Cabinet is excess to requirements.

To make an offer call R Stuart, R Ponting, S Mortlock or P. Fitzsimons who once commented “…the Australian Cabinet is groaning under the weight of all the trophies!”

They can be contacted on: 1800-LOST-THE-LOT

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Trans Tasman Touch :laugh: How'd that find it's way in there?

The loss of Clark is huge. I'm not that confident in Siddle at all.

Johnners

Nice to place someone in a box hey..

I love to place people in the dumb as dog s*** catagory when it comes to cricket a little like asking how an American views the great game.

Congrats you have just qualified for the same consideration. Hope this goes in your pool room.
Printed, and have it framed on my wall already :sleep:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wow this has turned into a pretty weak Aussie attack, too bad South Africa isn't at its peak. Steyn is good but I reckon he'll end up being only a shade better than Lee throughout this series.

The batting lineups are where these matches will be lost and won and I think Australia are slightly stronger in that regard. Should be a gun series though.

Easto241091

Cricket Spectator
Clarks a huge loss to the australian side. Especially when his replacement is peter siddle. Does anybody else rate peter siddle other than the australian selectors???? I would like to know if anybody else does. They should put in Maggofin or a Brett Dorey in, especially at the WACA. These two can bowl into the breeze, with great effect.