• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Definitely counts as a drop for the purposes of FCA IMO, but it's not something Dhoni would have taken more times than he'd drop it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My tip for the start of play tomorrow is that we will be all out by lunch or shortly after, but with a 300 lead that shouldn't be a problem.

Would love to see Strauss ton up again. Would cream my pants. Hope Colly does as well, then Flintoff can come in for some declaration runs

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Uhm, no not really. It didn't spin THAT much, and if Dhoni had kept his weight on his right foot he could have reacted to the edge. He wouldn't have caught it with bad keeping. But especially considering he's crocked, criticism of him for missing it isn't really fair. It's something someone that, say, Sangakkara at his peak might have got to.
I see.

Pissed-off that I'm Synyster Gates-ing it up later rather than watching the highlights now. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't chase down 250+ on this pitch, let alone 300. Absolutely will not happen.
It's unlikely on any surface, 270-280 is almost always something you're distinct second-favourite if you've been set it. But with Gambhir, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, and even Yuvraj and a half-fit Dhoni in the batting, and an attack that can quite easily revert at ANY POINT to a Flintoff one-man-show, you're taking one hell of a leap of faith if you take victory(\defeat) for granted.

England should win this, easily. But it's no foregone conclusion, far from't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't go then? :unsure:

edit, plus there are highlights on at 4.30, SSE
Mate's b'day. Thus, a) not going is not an option and b) it's a round-your-place-for-5:30 job (I'm walking, so it's 3\4-hr's journey) so no highlights for me. :@

Can't remember if he's got Sky or not tho, so might be some element of saving-grace there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmm, well when we wrap it up tomorrow, I am sure they will use the spare time in the schedule on Monday to do a highlights package of the whole Test :ph34r:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I was doing the G/F so I missed most of the play but from the bits I caught here and there, the wicket looks still pretty decent. Fair bit of turn but its too slow to cause much or any concern. Bell got a decent one though...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Definitely counts as a drop for the purposes of FCA IMO, but it's not something Dhoni would have taken more times than he'd drop it.
Something has to be obviously catchable to be a "chance" in my book. Has to be something you can say "he should catch that every time and if he ever doesn't he's made a genuine, obvious error".

That's why I hate the term "half-chance". Yes, there's the odd thing that might be caught on a minority of occasions, but something is either obviously catchable or it's not obviously catchable.

I'm gonna scour around SS.C and see if I can find some web 'lights now, this is gonna annoy the hell out of me else.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Something has to be obviously catchable to be a "chance" in my book. Has to be something you can say "he should catch that every time and if he ever doesn't he's made a genuine, obvious error".

That's why I hate the term "half-chance". Yes, there's the odd thing that might be caught on a minority of occasions, but something is either obviously catchable or it's not obviously catchable.

I'm gonna scour around SS.C and see if I can find some web 'lights now, this is gonna annoy the hell out of me else.
It obviously was catchable - it's something I'd expect a Test-class keeper to take about 45% of the time TBH.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It obviously was catchable - it's something I'd expect a Test-class keeper to take about 45% of the time TBH.
I don't know - Dhoni is significantly into the process of going up with the ball turning in towards Strauss when there was a fairly strong outside nick that took it right in the other direction. He does not move his hands between the nick and the ball clipping the outside of the protection at the end of the glove.

The only way you're catching that is if your gloves are in a completely different position, far more down the off-side, and if your gloves are there and one turns then you set yourself for a raft of byes. Don't see it as a catch.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Imagine the batting if we added Owais Shah in as well!
I'm trying not to because that sounds even more horrible.

Still if he comes in for Bell that's a like-for-like replacement, as they're both mentally fragile massively over-rated batsmen who'll struggle to average more than a mediocre amount.

England are lucky they're playing on a pitch with something in it, on a flat pitch they're screwed because they don't have the quality to consistently score big totals like India would.