• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

James

Cricket Web Owner
Even a Franklin at 90% offers more to the attack than anoth RFM/RMF.
Bit unfair on Martin who's been our No 1 seamer for a few years now in Test cricket. Especially when you call in Mills.

You shouldn't have to upset the balance of the team to fit Franklin in. He isn't worth that much to the team IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bit unfair on Martin who's been our No 1 seamer for a few years now in Test cricket. Especially when you call in Mills.

You shouldn't have to upset the balance of the team to fit Franklin in. He isn't worth that much to the team IMO.
Oh Martin > Gillespie.

No idea where the Gillespie selection came from. Franklin is a gun, hope to see him do well with the ball.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Oh Martin > Gillespie.

No idea where the Gillespie selection came from. Franklin is a gun, hope to see him do well with the ball.
Franklin is one of my favourite players, hope he does well too.

I guess when Oram comes back for the 2nd Test the side should look a bit more respectable batting wise and that will mean Franklin at 8 and Vettori at 9 with Gillespie at 10 and O'Brien at 11.

Quite worried that this series is heading down the route of 0-0 with the weather playing the major part here. McLean Park will probably see both teams making 500+ and playing out a dull draw. These 2 Test series are really annoying.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Martin=O'Brien
Southee=Mills (for now, Southee will only improve)
Gillespie=relatively unknown
I would argue that Martin > O'Brien. Both are similar bowlers, beats me why O'Brien went about trying to intimidate the Australian batsmen, mainly the tail, when he came over with the Kiwi's for a visit. Surprisingly though it worked.

In 2-3 years time, Southee will be miles ahead of Mills, injuries and form aside. As for Gillespie, I've only seen him once or twice, in a couple of ODI's two or three seasons ago. He was an excellent death bowler with Bond, and did his job well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anyone else find it odd that Gillespie opened the bowling ahead of Franklin? Two left handed batsmen opening plus the fact that Franklin is generally much better at exploiting any early swing than Gillespie makes it seem quite a strange call to me. I realise that Gillespie has been in better form at domestic level but still.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Anyone else find it odd that Gillespie opened the bowling ahead of Franklin? Two left handed batsmen opening plus the fact that Franklin is generally much better at exploiting any early swing than Gillespie makes it seem quite a strange call to me. I realise that Gillespie has been in better form at domestic level but still.
Franklin wasn't even opening the bowling for Wellington every innings though.