• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose. Sehwag pretty well always looks lazy when he drags on, but you couldn't say it was any type of stroke really. Sehwag's just the sort of player you expect to be out playing expansively rather than defensively though.
Was a pretty good ball i thought. Drew the cut stroke and nipped back in off the seam. Perfect delivery to bowl to Sehwag.

As for Gambhir, to the letter of the law he probably should be given the benefit of the doubt, but i don't think batsmen should be when they pad up to balls just outside off with the bat nowhere near. Major brain-fart from him.

Dravid was very unlucky, but he would've gone soon enough anyway. Can not believe he's still being picked. Tendulkar and Laxman looked set, then played a poor shot. Yuvraj just isn't a test-match batsman.

If England were to win this series (unthinkable for me at the start of the series if i'm honest), would India still be most people's number two team? I'd have had SA ahead of them before this series anyway, but that was a bit of a minority opinion. On their day they're as good as anyone, but they need a big comeback here to prove they've got any semblance of consistency about them.

Precambrian

Banned
Was a pretty good ball i thought. Drew the cut stroke and nipped back in off the seam. Perfect delivery to bowl to Sehwag.

As for Gambhir, to the letter of the law he probably should be given the benefit of the doubt, but i don't think batsmen should be when they pad up to balls just outside off with the bat nowhere near. Major brain-fart from him.

Dravid was very unlucky, but he would've gone soon enough anyway. Can not believe he's still being picked. Tendulkar and Laxman looked set, then played a poor shot. Yuvraj just isn't a test-match batsman.

If England were to win this series (unthinkable for me at the start of the series if i'm honest), would India still be most people's number two team? I'd have had SA ahead of them before this series anyway, but that was a bit of a minority opinion. On their day they're as good as anyone, but they need a big comeback here to prove they've got any semblance of consistency about them.
If England wins this series 1-0, wouldnt read much into it. But a 2-0 win would mean they have walked over India and rightly claim the No.2 or No.3 (Depending on outcome of SA Aus series)

Uppercut

If England wins this series 1-0, wouldnt read much into it. But a 2-0 win would mean they have walked over India and rightly claim the No.2 or No.3 (Depending on outcome of SA Aus series)
England?! England certainly aren't number two. Compare everything they've done in the past two years to what SA have done, and beating India away will be the only thing going for them. Even if SA lose 3-0 in Australia.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't, TBH. Can't see Tendulkar making enough of an error with that shot to be caught close-in. He plays it so well and always has, if he doesn't hit it for six he's almost certain to hit it out somewhere into the deep.

I'd much prefer see him made to think about playing other shots.
Yeah.. but he is not always going to connect... The point of leaving boundaries open is that they may not even connect the attempted shot, not just because they may mistime it or something.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Great contest in the offing.. Unfortunately, India are at the receiving end this time.

Well done, England. To be honest, a part of me feels they deserve their good days for pragmatic decision they took for the tour to continue.. Maybe they did it for money or whatever, but already, it is helping heal a small part of the wounds...

70-30 England at the moment.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Draw? India easily. 1-0 loss, India slightly. 2-0 loss, South Africa.

A flashing stat for me is 0-5 SA vs. Australia in their last five matches. In their last six matches, India are 3-0-4 vs. Australia. And 3-2-4 in their last two series home and away.

Show me something against the guys that matter, then they'll be #2. Until they actually do it, it's all ifs and buts. India have actually won a series against Australia. Anyway, this discussion will be moot when SA loses 0-3 to Australia. :D I'd say that our rankings on this site are a very accurate representation of the 'actual' comparative abilities of teams.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should be a welcome change after the total non-challenge by the Aussies.
Hate to say I told you so

Fact is that India are a pretty average side who just happen to match up well against Australia

Put them in against tall quicks who can pin them to the crease or test class spinners and they revert to form

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Draw? India easily. 1-0 loss, India slightly. 2-0 loss, South Africa.

A flashing stat for me is 0-5 SA vs. Australia in their last five matches. In their last six matches, India are 3-0-4 vs. Australia. And 3-2-4 in their last two series home and away.

Show me something against the guys that matter, then they'll be #2. Until they actually do it, it's all ifs and buts. India have actually won a series against Australia. Anyway, this discussion will be moot when SA loses 0-3 to Australia. :D I'd say that our rankings on this site are a very accurate representation of the 'actual' comparative abilities of teams.
SA have beaten everyone bar Oz

India have squared a couple of series vs a rebuilding Oz, beaten a half strength Eng, thrashed in 2 tests by SL and needed a dodgy deck to square things vs SA

There are a number of sides competing for the top spot and only Oz's past record has them in front

Uppercut

Yeah the rankings are pretty good, but the difference between SA and India is tiny. I'd have India very marginally behind.

I don't think you can judge a team solely on performances against the best team. Australia are not the only "guys that matter". India are better suited to beating Australia on certain pitches because the Aussie spinners are so poor. SA have a team similarly built to Australia, though not as good.

They haven't lost a series in two and a half years, drawing only once away to India. They've beaten every test team in that time bar Australia and Sri Lanka (who they'd probably beat at home and lose to away, same as everyone else). That's long enough to dominate in order to be considered second-best IMO, but India beating Australia makes it might close.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Well i certainly wasnt expecting this when i woke up today. I just get the feeling with England we will need at least 100 lead. I just dont trust our batsmen not to collapse :P

I wont feel comfertable to bowl India out unless we have a 400 run lead. Although 300 is probably enough given how the pitch will play on day 4/5.

Precambrian

Banned
Hate to say I told you so

Fact is that India are a pretty average side who just happen to match up well against Australia

Put them in against tall quicks who can pin them to the crease or test class spinners and they revert to form
Yeah an average side who has a record of 3-1-0 this year against the No.1 ranked team.

As to your last statement, it applies to all teams. Australians struggled against a teenaged Ishant Sharma in both Australia as well as India.

SA have beaten everyone bar Oz

India have squared a couple of series vs a rebuilding Oz, beaten a half strength Eng, thrashed in 2 tests by SL and needed a dodgy deck to square things vs SA

There are a number of sides competing for the top spot and only Oz's past record has them in front
Rebuilding Oz? Just because they lost a quick, a spinner (who almost always struggled against India), and a wicketkeeper (again, who struggled against India)? Frankly the Australia of 04 and now had McG as the main difference.

Woodster

International Captain
Excellent day for England!! Expected us to fold relatively quickly once Freddie had gone, but Prior played a decent innings, working the ball around. Thought he could have been much more aggressive when partnered with Harmison and especially Panesar. It's one thing showing faith in your partner, but taking singles right at the start of an over on a few occasions was pretty careless from him. However, his positives in that innings far outweighed his negatives.

Then for us to take 6 Indian wickets in the remainder of the day was highly unexpected. Sehwag gifted his wicket for me. The previous ball was of similar length and he drove with a straight bat down the ground, the ball that got him, for some reason he attempted to cut with a horizontal bat. There was no width in that delivery, and the wrong length.

Dream start for Swanny, who will bowl much better than he did today. Got some nice drift away from the right-hander and some sharp turn, but not too frequently. Will enjoy the later stages of the game. Thought the Gambhir decision was a very good one from Harper, while the Dravid decision could have gone either way and Rahul may be feeling a tad unfortunate, that's the way it goes when your struggling, ask Colly!

Freddie's bowling late in the day was a monstrous effort. He bowled quickly with hostility, and used the verbals on Yuvraj very cleverley to unsettle him.

Woodster

International Captain
Rebuilding Oz? Just because they lost a quick, a spinner (who almost always struggled against India), and a wicketkeeper (again, who struggled against India)? Frankly the Australia of 04 and now had McG as the main difference.
Hardly any old quick, spinner and wicket-keeper though. Three legends of the sport.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It wasn't a dodgy track. I watched every ball. This is a much better track for bowlers, but it's still not dodgy.

I don't think you can judge a team solely on performances against the best team. Australia are not the only "guys that matter". India are better suited to beating Australia on certain pitches because the Aussie spinners are so poor. SA have a team similarly built to Australia, though not as good.
If's and buts. No one said only they matter, if India had lost against everyone else, you'd have a point. But the massive difference in records when facing the best proves the point.

They haven't lost a series in two and a half years, drawing only once away to India. They've beaten every test team in that time bar Australia and Sri Lanka (who they'd probably beat at home and lose to away, same as everyone else). That's long enough to dominate in order to be considered second-best IMO, but India beating Australia makes it might close.
That 2.5 year stretch sounds mighty impressive (and it is a very good record), but let's look at it:

1. SA in Aus (SA lost, so did India)
  2. Aus in SA (SA lost, India won)
  3. SL in SL (SA lost, like India)
  4. India In SA
  5. Pakistan In SA, India beat them at home too
  6. SA in Pakistan, good win albeit only 2 match series
  7. NZ In SA, I'd back India too
  8. WI In SA, India too
  9. SA In Bangladesh, India too
  10. South Africa In India, did well
  11. South Africa In England, India won too
  12. Bangladesh in SA, India would win at home too

Seriously, is it that much better? I think not. Plus the massive ownage they got from Aus, makes it an easy decision for mine.

We'll see though, it's starting soon so we'll find out.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW - I was way off with Sachin, disappointing.
Yeah, as I said - brilliant as he was looking, one mistake (which can be all it takes) is never rule-outable at any time. Not at all uncommon for players to look $1,000,000 and then be out without making all that many.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah.. but he is not always going to connect... The point of leaving boundaries open is that they may not even connect the attempted shot, not just because they may mistime it or something.
I cannot see Tendulkar attempting a slogged-sweep and being caught at mid-wicket, square-leg, mid-on, short-fine-leg, by the wicketkeeper, etc. He just plays the shot too well, and is too good a judge of when to try it, for him to play it badly enough that it ends-up there.

If he's going to make an error with it and it's going to land somewhere other than where he was aiming, the only place I could conceive it going was somewhere towards deep-square-leg\deep-mid-wicket. And if there was someone out there, I'd imagine he'd leave the shot be.

Possibly of times trying to tempt him to play expansively is the best way, but I don't think you're ever going to get anything but punishment by leaving that particular stroke open to him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
India have thrashed in 2 tests by SL and needed a dodgy deck to square things vs SA
I'd back pretty well everyone to be thrashed in SL at the current time, as their bowling is probably the strongest going around.

And India didn't need a dodgy deck to square things with SA, but did need two very dodgy ones (in completely different ways) to produce a farcical draw and a crushing defeat in the opening two games.