• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No surprise to see Daryn Powell bowling poorly.

He averages 47. A bit of a concern when Gayle's bowling average of 39 is the second best in the team.
Powell actually bowled pretty damn well today IMO. Was dire in his first two overs or so but he grew an extra leg after he took that wicket.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Love the way that Sky put the FX microphones over the more rowdy segments of the crowd when the beer starts flowing.. Sounds like our very own Voltman was there

Some picks

"Lionel get back to the coffee shop"

"Gayle, try spinning one"

"Booring" - On the referral system

"Ah f*** off" - On coming off for bad light
Let's not forget, "give us a ****n replay!" on Flynns LBW, lol.

Precambrian

Banned
Just saw Flynn's dismissal. Probably fair enough, but I must say that is a really horrible way to be given out, far worse than waiting for the red light during a run out. The massive delays and then the miserable anti-climax of the umpire rather apologetically raising his finger. I really couldn't help but feel sorry for Flynn.

Also not that sure about the abilities of the new umpire (Amish Sheba was it?). Saw him make a couple of rather ordinary calls.
Oh Finally an Indian Umpire in the Elite League??? I don't think anyone's been there except Venkatraghavan and that was a decade back.

What other "goof-ups" other than Flynn dismissal by the ump?

As to the delays, You should've watched the Ind-SL series. The review system was used and sometimes abused by the captains and even completely non-lbws were unsuccessfully referred. I remember in the third test match, there were two successive referrals for lbw against Tendulkar who had just come into the crease, which took away around 6 minutes in total and whacked his concentration, and was out ironically lbw a little while later.

But things like that make it a bit better for bowlers. And even though it has it's drawbacks, I think the Referral system is for the good of the game.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh Finally an Indian Umpire in the Elite League??? I don't think anyone's been there except Venkatraghavan and that was a decade back.

What other "goof-ups" other than Flynn dismissal by the ump?

As to the delays, You should've watched the Ind-SL series. The review system was used and sometimes abused by the captains and even completely non-lbws were unsuccessfully referred. I remember in the third test match, there were two successive referrals for lbw against Tendulkar who had just come into the crease, which took away around 6 minutes in total and whacked his concentration, and was out ironically lbw a little while later.

But things like that make it a bit better for bowlers. And even though it has it's drawbacks, I think the Referral system is for the good of the game.
It should be interesting to see how much it brings scores down.. If you think, every marginal LBW can now be given out

Woodster

International Captain
It may be quite an exciting session first up on day 2. Can't really see Ryder of McCullum watching too many go by outside the off stump. McCullum especially, I expect to be pretty savage on a pitch offering very little for the WI attack.

Flem274*

123/5
Well played to Flynn. I didn't really rate him before now, thought he was in the side too early, but he's thrived on the extra responsibility in this test.

As much as it wanted to make me cry, I like the refferal system. Whilst its something Richard would come up with (and I find that quite funny), its going to be a big help and just think, if it had been around in 2000 we would have won that Perth test in Australia, for example.

Vettori's amount of wickets will increase with this new toy now that he can get some front foot LBWs.

Ryder is going nicely, Taylor has become rather silly again, How :( and McIntosh is trying his best to prove Crowe wrong and me right.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Flynn did O.K, but this pitch is extremely flat offering no swing or movement of any kind. I can see McCullum getting a big score and Gayle in Windies innings getting a big score on a pitch like this.

May i just say Baker selection is a joke. What does that guy bring to the Windies attack - nothing and with a ridiculous first class average what were the Windies thinking in that selection. Quite looking forward to seeing Windies bat. I think there will be fireworks from Gayle and Marshall, also, i am quite looking forward to seeing Nash bat. Lets see what the aussie can do.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
it is good to see flynn doing well, shame on missing out on a 100 but he'll get there another time, hopefully soon. i just hope we dont see the likes of Franklin and Vettori until after lunch

Jigga988

State 12th Man
it is good to see flynn doing well, shame on missing out on a 100 but he'll get there another time, hopefully soon. i just hope we dont see the likes of Franklin and Vettori until after lunch
I can probobly see at least one wicket go down, west indies have a new ball and fresh bowlers, could be dangerous for McCullum and Ryder.

Woodster

International Captain
I can probobly see at least one wicket go down, west indies have a new ball and fresh bowlers, could be dangerous for McCullum and Ryder.
There's a good chance they may lose a wicket or two, however, I don't think the new ball will be a particularly lethal weapon on this pitch. It did very little on the opening day with the new ball, and providing Ryder and McCullum take some time to get themselves in today, they could well enjoy the new ball coming on a bit quicker and certainly firing off to the boundary much quicker.

Think Taylor is key with the new ball. He is WI's best bowler and he must get it right, while he was fairly economical yesterday he wasn't penetrative enough, but that probably says more about the track than his bowling.

analyst

U19 12th Man
I am delighted that I was wrong and the Kiwi selectors were right. Hope Flynn at 3 and Ryder at 5 turns into something special for NZ.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Love the way that Sky put the FX microphones over the more rowdy segments of the crowd when the beer starts flowing.. Sounds like our very own Voltman was there

Some picks

"Lionel get back to the coffee shop"

"Gayle, try spinning one"

"Booring" - On the referral system

"Ah f*** off" - On coming off for bad light
:happy:

I'm much classier than that. I would have been asking Brendan Nash if he felt inadequate in the showers.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
weather report says itll be clearing throughout the day, so its only going to get better, mind you they said it was going to rain yesterday.

Woodster

International Captain
Still around an hour and half till play starts so let's hope that rain pisses off and play starts early as planned.