• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

GGG

State Captain
Do they still play cricket at Carisbrook anymore? My two memories of games at that ground was Matt Horne blasting a massive six in that unofficial OD game after the Test there was abandoned due to rain and in that ODI game between New Zealand and Australia were the students (IIRC) throwing stuff onto the ground after Brett Lee got Adam Parore out in rather controversial style. Then after the game one n00b slashed the Australian buses' tyres and left a threatening letter to Matt Hayden.
No that doesn't sound like drunken scarfies, they are well know for their good behavour :laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
20 off them and you?
If you've spent 20 summers in Dunedin, you'd know that (as I said earlier in the thread) there's still plenty of light around - it was little to do with the time of day and everything to do with cloud cover. I've played plenty of offical games around Dunedin during summer that were still going at 7-8pm with oodles of light.

So, sorry but I call "bull****" on your claim you've spent 20 summers in Dunedin.

And, FYI, I spent 5 summers in Dunedin when I was a toddler, then every summer from 1991 to 2003 in Dunedin.

Do they still play cricket at Carisbrook anymore?
No.

GGG

State Captain
If you've spent 20 summers in Dunedin, you'd know that (as I said earlier in the thread) there's still plenty of light around - it was little to do with the time of day and everything to do with cloud cover. I've played plenty of offical games around Dunedin during summer that were still going at 7-8pm with oodles of light.

So, sorry but I call "bull****" on your claim you've spent 20 summers in Dunedin.

And, FYI, I spent 5 summers in Dunedin when I was a toddler, then every summer from 1991 to 2003 in Dunedin.

No.
Yes there is plenty of light around but the simple fact is they went off because of light and it is not unusual to get cloud cover anywhere in NZ any time of year, so why start at 12?

Corstorphine primary, MacAndrew Intermediate, Kings High School

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just getting my first look at McIntosh in the highlights, and to be honest he looks rubbish. I'd really like to see Martin Crowe try and continue to back his inclusion on the grounds of his "superior" technique.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just getting my first look at McIntosh in the highlights, and to be honest he looks rubbish. I'd really like to see Martin Crowe try and continue to back his inclusion on the grounds of his "superior" technique.
Agreed from what i saw, which was just the hour long highlights packages this evening. Not sure if it was just first test nerves or whether he's genuinely out of his depth, but he certainly looked even worse than Redmond for mine. Hopefully we are both wrong of course.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yes there is plenty of light around but the simple fact is they went off because of light and it is not unusual to get cloud cover anywhere in NZ any time of year, so why start at 12?
AWTA.
Why take the risk of cloud cover causing the players to go off for bad light. Even if it does stay bright outside until 9pm at night, it still get darker the later it gets. If you start at 11am, then its all over by 6pm, instead of 7pm. There is more chance of cloud cover causing bad light at 7pm than there is at 6pm, so why even take the risk?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McIntosh looked nervous as hell. Its his first test innings so i'll just put it down to that..but if he plays like that after 4 or 5 tests then his selection will be made to look pretty stupid.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McIntosh looked nervous as hell. Its his first test innings so i'll just put it down to that..but if he plays like that after 4 or 5 tests then his selection will be made to look pretty stupid.
Possibly, although my main concern from the few balls I did see of him is that he looked genuinely late in getting bat on ball.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Already been explained.

Keep up.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just saw Flynn's dismissal. Probably fair enough, but I must say that is a really horrible way to be given out, far worse than waiting for the red light during a run out. The massive delays and then the miserable anti-climax of the umpire rather apologetically raising his finger. I really couldn't help but feel sorry for Flynn.

Also not that sure about the abilities of the new umpire (Amish Sheba was it?). Saw him make a couple of rather ordinary calls.

Woodster

International Captain
Just saw Flynn's dismissal. Probably fair enough, but I must say that is a really horrible way to be given out, far worse than waiting for the red light during a run out. The massive delays and then the miserable anti-climax of the umpire rather apologetically raising his finger. I really couldn't help but feel sorry for Flynn.

Also not that sure about the abilities of the new umpire (Amish Sheba was it?). Saw him make a couple of rather ordinary calls.
Yes I agree, didn't really like anything about that dismissal, looked from what I saw pretty borderline. The delays and way the style in which the dismissal is given out will be overlooked in some parts if they deem the right result is occuring more frequently. Personally I think it looks terrible, and no-one could totally disagree had he been given not out (I have only seen it the once mind). Not a fan of the system at all at this stage.

Woodster

International Captain
Saw all McIntosh's innings and he looked pretty ordinary. Of course as a few of you have stated it is his first Test and certain allowances must be made for him. He did look nervous, but didn't flap too much when he could not get off the mark for a considerable time. As he reached around 35 balls though, a few loose shots were beginning to creep in, understandably, and credit to the WI for building the pressure.

He looks quite an ugly batsman, certainly not convinced about a so-called "superior" technique at this stage. Needs to work the gaps much better and not get cornered so often early in his innings.

Woodster

International Captain
On another note, thought Flynn looked excellent in at number 3. Looked solid but was also positive in his attacking strokes. On that performance, he looks the ideal style of batter to come in at 3 for NZ, setting up a decent platform for the more extravagant middle order players.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Possibly, although my main concern from the few balls I did see of him is that he looked genuinely late in getting bat on ball.
Yeah the wicket was pretty slow but he was late on every pull shot he tried, got into a mess one occasion. It doesn’t bode too well but give him a series at least. I would be more concerned with Jamie How, he hasn’t scored a run in ages and keeps getting in and looking decent then does something stupid or just pushes unnecessarily hard at the ball.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
On another note, thought Flynn looked excellent in at number 3. Looked solid but was also positive in his attacking strokes. On that performance, he looks the ideal style of batter to come in at 3 for NZ, setting up a decent platform for the more extravagant middle order players.
Would have been nice if the West Indian seamers at least attempted to conventionally get him out, the tactic of bowling miles outside off stump to a guy who is content to leave and not play a shot a ball wasn’t the smartest of decisions from captain Gayle and his bowlers. Baker and Edwards just bowled utter trite and all Flynn did was wait for the half volley or the real gimme short ball which stood up to be spanked away. Fair play to Flynn though, played some really nice shots and it was a good innings.

Woodster

International Captain
Would have been nice if the West Indian seamers at least attempted to conventionally get him out, the tactic of bowling miles outside off stump to a guy who is content to leave and not play a shot a ball wasn’t the smartest of decisions from captain Gayle and his bowlers. Baker and Edwards just bowled utter trite and all Flynn did was wait for the half volley or the real gimme short ball which stood up to be spanked away. Fair play to Flynn though, played some really nice shots and it was a good innings.
Yes there was certainly a part of the day where this tactic was quite ridiculously employed, and it was clearly Baker the man employed to carry it out so obviously. With only two men on the leg-side, an LBW decision or bowled opportunity was never going to happen. That shouldn't detract from Flynn's efforts though. Yes he waited for the bad ball, but he put them away quite emphatically. His straight drive down the ground off Powell from round the wicket was a beauty. Flynn was patient, yet decisive. Don't think his innings can totally be attributed to bad bowling, after all, three other batsmen fell rather cheaply.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah the wicket was pretty slow but he was late on every pull shot he tried, got into a mess one occasion. It doesn’t bode too well but give him a series at least. I would be more concerned with Jamie How, he hasn’t scored a run in ages and keeps getting in and looking decent then does something stupid or just pushes unnecessarily hard at the ball.
It was a very disappointing dismissal of How's. Daren Powell was pretty poor in his opening few overs and this was a bit of a gift of a wicket. His eagerness to firmly drive the ball cost him, and the ball carried a fair decent without getting too far off the ground to Chanderpaul at point.

Just needs to wind his neck in a bit at the start of his innings, this stroke cost him a few times also in Australia.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
No surprise to see Daryn Powell bowling poorly.

He averages 47. A bit of a concern when Gayle's bowling average of 39 is the second best in the team.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Love the way that Sky put the FX microphones over the more rowdy segments of the crowd when the beer starts flowing.. Sounds like our very own Voltman was there

Some picks

"Lionel get back to the coffee shop"

"Gayle, try spinning one"

"Booring" - On the referral system

"Ah f*** off" - On coming off for bad light