• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Indian grounds tend to more batsman friendly than Australian grounds.
That depends. Australian pitches tend to be flat but reasonably quick and bouncy, the ball comes on to the bat more and it's generally less of a grind. Plus spin is usually pretty ineffective.

In India there's no doubt the pitches at flatter early on but they're generally low bounce and slow, tough to bat on early and require a massive grind. Later on the match the pitches generally break up and turn more.

I'd say overall Australian pitches are better to bat on, because they become flatter as the match goes on, whereas Indian pitches generally start out flatter but break up and become harder to bat on as the match goes on.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn will get belted here. He bowls too full for Australian conditions, which rarely swing. He'll be superb in the return leg in South Africa though.
Steyn isn't exactly a pitch up bowled though. He variations of lenghts are pretty good plus he has already shown he can bowl well on flat decks, so i'm in no illusions nor should anyone that Dale will be serious threat to Australia's batsmen coming up.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That depends. Australian pitches tend to be flat but reasonably quick and bouncy, the ball comes on to the bat more and it's generally less of a grind. Plus spin is usually pretty ineffective.

In India there's no doubt the pitches at flatter early on but they're generally low bounce and slow, tough to bat on early and require a massive grind. Later on the match the pitches generally break up and turn more.

I'd say overall Australian pitches are better to bat on, because they become flatter as the match goes on, whereas Indian pitches generally start out flatter but break up and become harder to bat on as the match goes on.
That's a good point, actually; pretty much all the major grounds in Aus are almost as good to bat on day 5 as day 1. I don't see that as a strength, either.

Precambrian

Banned

All that is fine. But Lee is more like Steyn and has found success in Australia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say the ball swings just as little in Aus and India but the variable are the pitches. Swing bowlers have historically at least been in with a chance in India, I suspect due to the low bounce i.e. they can pinch a few wickets with balls that might sneak under the bat or just not bounce all that much. Mick Kasprowicz, Andy Hoggard, etc. all have decent records in India because they basically aimed full and at the stumps.

In Aus, almost without exception, the higher bounce exposes swing bowlers a bit more. If the ball isn't moving a lot, batsmen just use the pace. So if you're not hitting the seam, you're going to struggle. Many distinguished swing bowlers have left Aus with their reputations pretty severely dented. Wasim Akram is the last one I can think of who did really well, even if his last series here was pretty ordinary. Strongly suspect that, aside from being just a great bowler, his height helped him get stuff out of the pitch I reckon Steyn might not.

Still we won't know for sure until the series starts. I hope he does well, love watching him bowl.
This "higher bounce" that you speak is definately the difference that has separated flat Australian pitches of this 2000s era. But its very small though, since WI where down under in 00/01 pretty much all the pitches have been sub-continent like except the gabba & perth (up until 05/06).

Steyn is pretty much immune to bowl on flat decks by now lol. But of course i would expect the odd innings when Australia get on top of him especially if any pitch is like what he got a Lord's or Chennai this year. But if he gets any help he will shake Australia up..

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All that is fine. But Lee is more like Steyn and has found success in Australia.
I don't think it's by the same way Steyn has, though. Lee used to concentrate on throwing the ball up at pace and trying to swing but it's only been since he shortened his default length a bit and cut the pace a little, trying to hit the seam, that he has really bowled well. The key in Aus is accuracy and consistency it would seem. Trying to rely on movement has gotten many bowlers nowhere. Not saying Steyn can't do it, just might take this series to figure out exactly how he wants to bowl here.

This "higher bounce" that you speak is definately the difference that has separated flat Australian pitches of this 2000s era. But its very small though, since WI where down under in 00/01 pretty much all the pitches have been sub-continent like except the gabba & perth (up until 05/06).

Steyn is pretty much immune to bowl on flat decks by now lol. But of course i would expect the odd innings when Australia get on top of him especially if any pitch is like what he got a Lord's or Chennai this year. But if he gets any help he will shake Australia up..
I still reckon, even with the Aus decks as flat as they are, they're still a bit more peppery than India. Plus, the bounce is very consistent all through the Test generally.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No need for generalising then. Your initial remark was as clueless as to your defence of it.
I did say some, not every...so I fail to see how that's generalising...it left the door open for it just to be you and one other fan :happy:

If my initial remark was clueless then it looks like I'm in good company.

biased indian

International Coach
Whats the News on the Perth pitch ..

Have Australia ever lost two consecutive test match at Perth ?? :)

Last edited:

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
India = Ball swings less = Steyn was gun.
In India he got belted in chennai and got wickets of tailenders with reverse swing who
were slogging.

in second test 5 of his 8 wickets were of tailenders and ganguly was notout as he did not edge the ball

in third test he was ineffective on a dreadful pitch

in england he was ordinary

so against good teams his so called approach of running in and bowling fast without concentrating on good line and length has backfired.

and fact is he struggles against lefthanders and australia has many of them.

if southafrica has to win morne morkel has to live upto potential as he is quicker than steyn,he gets more bounce than steyn and troubles all types of batsman.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer

rp singh did well in the last tour,if you are a good swing bowler and can swing it in most conditions then bounce that tracks have helps and also a bit of seam movement does no harm.

Precambrian

Banned
In India he got belted in chennai and got wickets of tailenders with reverse swing who
were slogging.
Biggest myth that Steyn was "tonked" around in that match. His economy rate was 3.2 which was the 2nd best among all fast bowlers in that match. Also dont forget that it was a torrid road. The wickets he got were of Dhoni, Harbhajan, Kumble and RP Singh, three of whom are no mugs with the bat, and two of them are century makers. Also note Dhoni was beaten repeatedly by Steyn before he attempted a slog and was caught behind. The others simply had no clue dealing with his speed.

in second test 5 of his 8 wickets were of tailenders and ganguly was notout as he did not edge the ball
Another clever statistical jugglery. He started the collapse of Indian batting in the first innings by getting both Sehwag and Dravid (the in-form century makers) bowled, and was taken off after a very good spell. When he came back, he had only the tailenders to bowl to and dispatched them quickly. Is it his fault that the Indian batting was so abysmal in the first innings?

in third test he was ineffective on a dreadful pitch
3/71 is no way ineffective. Don't forget 2 of them were Ganguly and Sehwag.

Precambrian

Banned
rp singh did well in the last tour,if you are a good swing bowler and can swing it in most conditions then bounce that tracks have helps and also a bit of seam movement does no harm.
RP Singh was strictly mediocre. 13 wickets @ 39 with an economy rate of 4.3 should suffice.

howardj

International Coach
Kallis Blasted

Truth be told, neither Stackpole or Hogg are fit to shine Jacques's boots. Hogg claims that Kallis always goes missing against Australia, yet he averages over 50 against them out here. I hate how the media wheels out these same former players, every damn year, to have a chop at whatever touring team is out here.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
Holy crap just realised that SA have three players in the top five run scorers this year!

Smith, Amla and Mckenzie all have scored over 1000 runs, this is going to be tough for us here.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Kallis Blasted

Truth be told, neither Stackpole or Hogg are fit to shine Jacques's boots. Hogg claims that Kallis always goes missing against Australia, yet he averages over 50 against them out here. I hate how the media wheels out these same former players, every damn year, to have a chop at whatever touring team is out here.
Herald Sun has Hogg on regularly. It's so painful.

Atreyu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thkis is one of my most anticipated tours of this year. Number one and Two going at it, Both somewhat on form(SA more IMO) and playing on Aussie soil, so you know Aussie aren't going down without a fight.