• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think the best bowlers are at present??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And the UAE.
And Zimbabwe, TBF.

Incidentally, I hadn't realised quite what a high portion of his games so far had come against substandard sides. Not to say he hasn't been brilliant against ODI-standard sides, of course, because he certainly has. But he's hardly played any proper ODIs yet.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, the reason I posted it is that it's just wonderful to post it. For the last year or so I've posted it every couple of months on the Sussex messageboard for the benefit of anyone who'll read it (including hopefully the Sussex management).
Very rude of them to ignore you Mr Z

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
And Zimbabwe, TBF.

Incidentally, I hadn't realised quite what a high portion of his games so far had come against substandard sides. Not to say he hasn't been brilliant against ODI-standard sides, of course, because he certainly has. But he's hardly played any proper ODIs yet.
Yep but Uppercut's point remains unanswerable:

Mendis... has an ass-kicking first-class record and is yet to fail against anyone.

I shall put it another way.
Evidence that Mendis is awesome: Limited.
Evidence that Mendis isn't awesome: Literally none.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If so, let's mention his name in 2 years' time when he does or doesn't, rather than after he's just done really well for the first time in his year-long Test career.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And Zimbabwe, TBF.

Yeah the good thing is that Bangladesh have in relative terms dominated Mendis. Good to see.

Athlai

Not Terrible
ODIs vs. Bangladesh

Pace - 967 W @ 21.51
Spin - 430 @ 27.02
Right arm pace - 861 @ 22.03
Left arm pace - 106 @ 17.23
Right arm spin - 267 @ 28.99
Left arm spin - 163 @ 23.78

Tests vs. Bangladesh

Pace - 680 @ 20.48
Spin - 386 @ 19.36
Right arm pace - 578 @ 20.57
Left arm pace - 102 @ 19.99
Right arm spin - 268 @ 20.10

Bangladesh actually do fairly alright against spin bowling in ODI cricket... however in Test cricket? Mendis will murder them.
Left arm spin - 118 @ 17.69

Paddlesmack

Cricket Spectator
Zaheer Khan is one of the best seamers for me. He's just so damn good, get's it in the right area's and troubles the batsman no matter the conditions. And where there is swing in the air - my oh my! He'll just destroy you. He's a classic bowler really, hasn't got the pace but really delivers on all other fronts. And a beautiful action to go with it!

Mendis, Steyn, Zaheer, and Lee are the best bowlers in the world at the moment, they're on a different plane from the rest. Ishant probably comes close, but he's still far too inexperienced.

Paddlesmack

Cricket Spectator
International matches

Tests: 3 matches, 26 wickets @ 18.38
ODIs: 18 matches, 48 wickest @ 10.12 (economy rate 3.58 rpo)
T20Is: 3 matches, 11 wickets @ 5 (4.59 rpo)

All matches

First Class: 23 matches, 145 wickest @ 15.43
List A: 37 matches, 85 wickets @ 10.70 (3.39 rpo)
T20: 10 matches, 17 wickest @ 10.41 (5.05 rpo)

:-O

pretty damn awesome
Average of 15 in FC cricket?! Horrible! :no:

:p

Migara

International Coach
Mendis, Steyn, Zaheer, and Lee are the best bowlers in the world at the moment, they're on a different plane from the rest. Ishant probably comes close, but he's still far too inexperienced.
But Murali is leaps ahead as a bowler than Zaheer (of course as a fielder as well)

iamdavid

International Debutant
I won't look at Murali because that'd kill the contest or Mendis because we havent seen enough of him...

If I had to choose one of the rest right now, I would honestly pick Ishant Sharma.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised so many are picking Ishant tbh, for me he's looked excellent but hasn't taken many wickets. 38 wickets in 13 matches compared to Mendis's 26 in 3. So far, he's a good partnership breaker but not a single-handed match-winner.

Precambrian

Banned
Surprised so many are picking Ishant tbh, for me he's looked excellent but hasn't taken many wickets. 38 wickets in 13 matches compared to Mendis's 26 in 3. So far, he's a good partnership breaker but not a single-handed match-winner.
Mendis has played in Sri Lanka only, while Ishant has performed against the best teams in bowler-killing conditions.

Not advocating Ishant > Mendis, but Mendis has to play more matches.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mendis has played in Sri Lanka only, while Ishant has performed against the best teams in bowler-killing conditions.

Not advocating Ishant > Mendis, but Mendis has to play more matches.
Mendis did pretty well even when the pitches were flat though, to be fair to him. Reasonable argument though.

A lot harder to justify is picking Ishant Sharma over Andrew Flintoff?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Flintoff has played the same number of games in the last 2 years as Mendis has in his career. And he hasn't even done remarkably well in said games.

Wouldn't want to be picking Flintoff as the best Test bowler around currently at all, though I do think he could quite easily be such a thing with a good run of fitness.