• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
May I note that I believe that Dale Steyn will have a superb Test series, striking approximately every 35-40 balls. Australia has a significently larger amount of effective swing (that which is not played comfortably by batsmen) available than other nations, with the possible exception of South Africa,

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Once all are fit, the best bowling combination for Australia should be:

Lee
Clark
Johnson
Watson
Krejza

But i also feel Symonds to play, real heache for the selectors. Hopefully no crazy selection are made & the give it the KISS...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No it doesn't, it's a blanket generalisation that doesn't apply to anyone posting in this thread, and I don't see the motivation for even bringing up something like that except to stir ****.
It applies directly to the person I was responding to.

Son Of Coco

Who has taken 68 wickets in 11 tests this year..

ur th idiot lolz
Well, Steve Harmison was no.1 in the world once too...I hope Steyn is all he's made out to be and does continue in the same vein though as it'll make for an interesting series. And I'm certainly not saying he's the same as Harmison.

Edit: The fact he did well in the sub-continent certainly points to more ability than Kerry suggested.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
May I note that I believe that Dale Steyn will have a superb Test series, striking approximately every 35-40 balls. Australia has a significently larger amount of effective swing (that which is not played comfortably by batsmen) available than other nations, with the possible exception of South Africa,
The last time the ball seriously swung in Australia without assistance from the weather, players were wearing flared creams. If Steyn is going to do well, he won't do it because of excessive swing.

For what it's worth, I think he'll do okay. But a bowler of his type, I reckon, needs at least one series to sum up how to bowl here before he dominates. As superb a bowler as Allan Donald even took the first series to acclimatise.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Steyn will get belted here. He bowls too full for Australian conditions, which rarely swing. He'll be superb in the return leg in South Africa though.

Johnners

Skull may be an absolute nutter, but the bloke knows his cricket, one of the better analysts in Australia imo. I don't exactly see what he's said wrong in his article, he's echoing the thoughts of many re: Steyn struggling in Australian conditions due to a lack of swing. Difference between O'Keefe & most others, is that he'll at least admit it when he's wrong, and likely crack many funny at his own expense about it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indian grounds tend to more batsman friendly than Australian grounds.
I'd say the ball swings just as little in Aus and India but the variable are the pitches. Swing bowlers have historically at least been in with a chance in India, I suspect due to the low bounce i.e. they can pinch a few wickets with balls that might sneak under the bat or just not bounce all that much. Mick Kasprowicz, Andy Hoggard, etc. all have decent records in India because they basically aimed full and at the stumps.

In Aus, almost without exception, the higher bounce exposes swing bowlers a bit more. If the ball isn't moving a lot, batsmen just use the pace. So if you're not hitting the seam, you're going to struggle. Many distinguished swing bowlers have left Aus with their reputations pretty severely dented. Wasim Akram is the last one I can think of who did really well, even if his last series here was pretty ordinary. Strongly suspect that, aside from being just a great bowler, his height helped him get stuff out of the pitch I reckon Steyn might not.

Still we won't know for sure until the series starts. I hope he does well, love watching him bowl.