• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

FBU

International Debutant
I think that Prior has to be one of the worst keepers I have seen and I can't see him getting any better. He's never going to score enough runs to make up for his drops.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he was catching everything within 2 metres of him he'd still not be scoring enough for my liking.

Langeveldt

Soutie
That was close.
Looks like Vaughan is a selector as well

'At 11.15 that night our head coach David Parsons called me to his room in the stadium. England wanted a replacement for Stuart Broad who had pulled up with a hamstring, and someone else in case Fred (Andrew Flintoff) was rested from one of the last two one-dayers ahead of the Test series.

We came up with Sajid Mahmood and Amjad Khan, although it might have been a chance for Adil Rashid, because he's young and exciting and at 5-0 down you have to try and find some positives.'
I've had more exciting headaches to be honest

pskov

International 12th Man
Sobers had always been a bowler though. Broad has actually always been a batsman - IIRR only started bowling seriously at the age of 16 or something like that. Seems he let his batting go in the interim, which is a bit of a shame. Since he's started taking it seriously again it's clear he's not bad at all.

But no, I don't see Broad being quarter of the batsman Sobers was TBH. He's arguably the second-best there's ever been.

(And yes, I realise you weren't really exactly expecting such a thing)
I can see him averaging 25-30 or so for his career, he definitely has a test match century in him if he plays 50+ tests imho. Of course in order to play that many games he'll have to improve his bowling considerably. I think he is acceptable as an ODI bowler with a new, hard ball, but he lacks the penetration to be a wicket-taker thus is largely ineffective in tests, and also the variations in pace and length necessary to be a good death bowler in ODIs.

pskov

International 12th Man
I've had more exciting headaches to be honest
Bit harsh on Rashid. He's no Murali in waiting like some of the press seem to want him to be, but I think he has a pretty good shot at having a productive international career. Of course it's equally possible that he will be garbage but you never can tell for sure until they get their chance.

pskov

International 12th Man
nixon wasn't too bad, but why wait til he was 36 ?

i still think prior has the ability to improve his keeping and be the mainstay, someone re-hire jack russell to fix him.

i didn't see a hell of a lot of ambrose last year, looked neat, any opinions ? there seems to be a lot of opinions about prior/read/nixon/jones/mustard/davies but not much on ambrose ?

what's kepler wessels young fella like ? if nothing else he should inherit some steel, interestingly he could probably play for one of 3 countries
In hindsight Nixon may have been a decent shout after Stewart but Read and Jones had better cases for selection at the time, plus they were younger.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think that Prior has to be one of the worst keepers I have seen and I can't see him getting any better. He's never going to score enough runs to make up for his drops.
He is definitely one of the worst I have seen. Never rated him from the very beginning.

tooextracool

International Coach
England's selection of Paul Nixon during the series down under is hands down the best selectorial decision in ODIs that they have made this decade. Considering that was off the back of retaining a player of the quality of Geraint Jones for over 2 years, perhaps that takes the sheen off the selection a little bit. If there was anyone who played a role in reviving a tour in tatters down under it was Nixon (right after PD collingwood)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interestingly, according to cricinfo England have actually outscored India in the first 15 overs during this series.

Game 1 England 63-4 India 90-0

Game 2 England 72-1 India 61-3

Game 3 England 80-1 India 66-2

Game 4 England 126-3 India 89-1 (but India were playing as if it was a 40+ over game, England were chasing 9 an over in 22)

Game 5 England 81-2 India 105-0

Utterly worthless and misleading stat, well done Cricinfo. India >>>>> England in 2 games, England >> India in 2 games and the other game you shouldn't really try to make a comparison with.

FBU

International Debutant
In hindsight Nixon may have been a decent shout after Stewart but Read and Jones had better cases for selection at the time, plus they were younger.
Nixon as a keeper isn't too good either. I saw him go for a straightforward catch and he was looking at the batsman instead of the ball. I think he is dyslexic and hyperactive and has to do these special exercises to help him. It also doesn't help when he winds up the opposition batsmen and they take it out on our bowlers. I think he would be good at setting fields for the bowlers and giving them any advice on what the ball is doing or should be doing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nixon's hardly unique in being a wicketkeeper who tries to wind-up batsmen.

For some reason it's accepted as fact among wicketkeepers that trying to get batsmen to play shots in one-day cricket is a good idea!!!!!!!!

The longer you can keep them settling for dot-balls for the better.

adharcric

International Coach
Getting back to cricket, really hope Badrinath keeps his place ahead of Vijay and RP Singh is dropped for Piyush Chawla, Irfan Pathan, Praveen Kumar or even Sid Trivedi.

adharcric

International Coach
He's made a few gritty knocks for Karnataka lately and Srikkanth openly backed him so no, not yet. One more bad series and he'll be in danger (will he consider retiring?), especially if Yuvraj or Badrinath stake a claim here. Pujara is rising rapidly while Raina and Sharma are starting to show some consistency.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah.. Vijay being around doesn't help Dravid's cause either.. Vijay might be our answer to a good close in catcher though... Will be interesting to see how things pan out.

masterblaster

International Captain
Hoping for Badri's inclusion in the test side. Yuvraj and his two ODI centuries has seemingly eliminated any chance for a Badrinath test match debut :(

masterblaster

International Captain
yeah.. Vijay being around doesn't help Dravid's cause either.. Vijay might be our answer to a good close in catcher though... Will be interesting to see how things pan out.
Murali Vijay at number 3 once Dravid retires and Badrinath at number 6 would make me a very happy Indian supporter.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Squad has been announced..

No surprises this time, with Yuvraj selecting himself and Badrinath and Murali Vijay being retained. Munaf is replacing RP Singh. Ojha too gets into the squad.

So i expect this team to take the field if the first test gets underway:

Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Harbhajan
Zaheer
Ishant
Mishra

Reserves: Murali Vijay,Badri,Ojha,Munaf..one for each department,nice choice that by our selectors!

Edit: must say i agree with the selectors this time around.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly looks pretty decent.

Although obviously Badrinath deserves his chance far more than Yuvraj Singh does I still haven't completely given-up hope on Yuvraj as a Test player yet and I hope he gets both the games this series. He's proven he can certainly pummel poor attacks, and England are likely to be minus not merely their two decent seamers in Flintoff and Sidebottom but Anderson and (though this won't weaken the attack much) Harmison as well. If he manages that this series, he'll have gotten a foot in the door once more.

masterblaster

International Captain
Certainly looks pretty decent.

Although obviously Badrinath deserves his chance far more than Yuvraj Singh does I still haven't completely given-up hope on Yuvraj as a Test player yet and I hope he gets both the games this series. He's proven he can certainly pummel poor attacks, and England are likely to be minus not merely their two decent seamers in Flintoff and Sidebottom but Anderson and (though this won't weaken the attack much) Harmison as well. If he manages that this series, he'll have gotten a foot in the door once more.
He will struggle against Monty I reckon but will handle the pace bowlers fairly well. Still not convinced of his standing as a test player. You really need to be somewhat competent at facing spin bowling, which for some strange reason he isn't.