• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
i don't know how Zimbabwe lost here........if they can't chase 152......well!! i think they can't do anything...............they are loosing players again.........Sean Williams has left.....said that he will never play for Zim again

Precambrian

Banned
Gutted completely. In fact I had prepared my ava to commemorate this great win, and I stopped myself from any CW activity for fear of jinxing. Nothing worked,

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Frankly speaking, I'd be embarrased if I were Sri Lankan. 3 close games in a row against this Zimbabwean side?? Imagine the scoreline if Sri Lanka had rested either of the M's for the tour.

Migara

International Coach
Frankly speaking, I'd be embarrased if I were Sri Lankan. 3 close games in a row against this Zimbabwean side?? Imagine the scoreline if Sri Lanka had rested either of the M's for the tour.
Infact the problem was due to poor selection policy. Tharanga was and is a failure. Udawatta is not a finished article yet. He needs to iron out his technique and ability to rotate strike. The fitting man, Warnapura, who has all the shots in the book was left behing. With him the rock solid Tharanga Paranavithana was not given a chance, These were the biggest performers in A tours. But it only Sangakkara and Mubarak made any serious runs.

The next biggest worry was Maharoof not getting a chance with the bat. He and Angelo Matthews are our future in ODI cricket. Matthews a battibng all rounder and Maharoof, bowling all rounder will allow one more batman in the side, but for that Maharoof needs lot of batting opportunities and Matthews bowling opportunities.

Precambrian

Banned
Sri Lanka : Batting averages - Zimbabwe series
Code:
[B]Player		Mat	Runs	HS	Ave	SR[/B]
KC Sangakkara	5	182	57	 60.66 	 61.90 
J Mubarak	5	98	60*	 49.00 	 57.64 
SHT Kandamby	1	40	40	 40.00 	 40.40 
WU Tharanga	5	78	29	 19.50 	 53.06 
AD Mathews	2	31	31	 15.50 	 79.48 
CK Kapugedera	5	60	28	 15.00 	 69.76 
ML Udawatte	4	60	38	 15.00 	 55.55 
MF Maharoof	3	14	14	 14.00 	 175.00 
KTGD Prasad	1	8	8	 8.00 	 23.52 
T Thushara	4	6	6	 6.00 	 100.00 
M Muralitharan	4	5	5	 5.00 	 166.66 
DPMD Jayawardene5	19	15	 4.75 	 36.53 
CRD Fernando	2	2	2	 2.00 	 66.66 
KMDN Kulasekara	4	1	1	 1.00 	 33.33 
BAW Mendis	5	3	3*	 - 	 75.00
No 100s and just two 50s. Jayawardene's performance is shockingly poor. Just 3 guys averaging above 20!!!

Precambrian

Banned
Infact the problem was due to poor selection policy. Tharanga was and is a failure. Udawatta is not a finished article yet. He needs to iron out his technique and ability to rotate strike. The fitting man, Warnapura, who has all the shots in the book was left behing. With him the rock solid Tharanga Paranavithana was not given a chance, These were the biggest performers in A tours. But it only Sangakkara and Mubarak made any serious runs.

The next biggest worry was Maharoof not getting a chance with the bat. He and Angelo Matthews are our future in ODI cricket. Matthews a battibng all rounder and Maharoof, bowling all rounder will allow one more batman in the side, but for that Maharoof needs lot of batting opportunities and Matthews bowling opportunities.
What about Mahela? He's been struggling.

Precambrian

Banned
Sri Lanka bowling

Code:
[B]Player		Mat	Overs	Mdns	Runs	Wkts	Ave	Econ	SR[/B]
M Muralitharan	4	23	5	64	11	 5.81 	 2.78 	 12.50 
BAW Mendis	5	36	1	129	15	 8.60 	 3.58 	 14.40 
KMDN Kulasekara	4	29	7	81	6	 13.50 	 2.79 	 29.00 
T Thushara	4	26.3	3	89	6	 14.83 	 3.35 	 26.50 
MF Maharoof	3	21	2	91	4	 22.75 	 4.33 	 31.50 
J Mubarak	5	10	0	26	1	 26.00 	 2.60 	 60.00 
CRD Fernando	2	18	1	59	2	 29.50 	 3.27 	 54.00 
KTGD Prasad	1	6	0	40	1	 40.00 	 6.66 	 36.00 
SHT Kandamby	1	1	0	3	0	 - 	 3.00 	 - 
AD Mathews	2	10	1	37	0	 - 	 3.70 	 -
Bowling is good, except that it has tended to be M & M only, Murali averaging 6 and Mendis 8! :wacko:

Migara

International Coach
What about Mahela? He's been struggling.
Yes. He fails in one series, and then with a bang hammers the attack he's next faced with. Both Sangakkara and Jayawardane prefer pace on the ball than spin. In test side these two are the poorest players of spin compared to Warnapura, Samaraweera, P. Jayawardane or Dilshan. But they are ****ing good against pace.

Precambrian

Banned
Yes. He fails in one series, and then with a bang hammers the attack he's next faced with. Both Sangakkara and Jayawardane prefer pace on the ball than spin. In test side these two are the poorest players of spin compared to Warnapura, Samaraweera, P. Jayawardane or Dilshan. But they are ****ing good against pace.
Jayawardene is good against pace? His average away in tests doesnt suggest that.

Sanga is class though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Jayawardene is good against pace? His average away in tests doesnt suggest that.

Sanga is class though.
Yes Mahela is good against pace bowlers when there is no support for seamers from pitches. He dominates pace attacks more then spin attacks in Sri Lanka.

Migara

International Coach
Jayawardene is good against pace? His average away in tests doesnt suggest that. Sanga is class though.
Mainly it's due to his lack of concentration. de Silva had a similar attitude problem. Once he corrected it, he was one of the finest against quick bowling, because he cut, pulled and hooked, and any pace could not intimidate him. Similarly Jayawardane never gets intimidated by pace, because he cuts, pulls and hooks well, but the lack of concentration denies him of big scores.

When playing on SL soil, he concentrates hard when playing spinners, because it's not his stronger part of the game, thus does not throw it away.

Last edited: