• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A purple patch for NZ cricket?

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Hope it'd be Cumming, but Bell's two centuries probably put him in the lead.
Cumming might be alright for a while until someone better comes along but NOT Bell. Weve been there so many times before, and i can see it now. Hell do alright against the Windies and people will say hes turned a corner blah blah, and the first difficult test he plays after that he'll fall to peices again.

Polo23

International Debutant
Havent seen this Guptill play. Is he a dogged NZ opener, or a bit of a dasher or what?. Does he look the goods?, who does he remind anyone of?. Will try to catch a game or two this season.
From what i've seen he's pretty classy. A tallish right hander who relies on timing, and his timing is absolutely superb. Have seen him hit some effortless sixes into the gas station across the road from Eden Park. Definitely not a dogged NZ opener, very elegant.

Polo23

International Debutant
Not really interesting to look at. There's just no toes where there should be 3 really. You get used to it after a while.
I had a cricket coach who had no hands...he was a top bloke and a bloody good coach (obviously he wasnt too good with hands on stuff, but in terms of knowledge and technical things he was great).

Polo23

International Debutant
An expert on stumps, no doubt.

I'll see myself out.
:laugh:

I remember tossing the ball to him at a net session once without thinking...watching him trying to catch it put my into hysterics...he wasnt impressed. He was a great guy though.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
please not Matthew Bell. Craig Cumming might be worth a crack but I would love to see Guptill get the gig although I dont rate his chances.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
McIntosh 70* overnight, to go with his 140 a couple of weeks ago.

If he nails that then surely he's at even chances with Bell for a callup

Flem274*

123/5
McIntosh 70* overnight, to go with his 140 a couple of weeks ago.

If he nails that then surely he's at even chances with Bell for a callup
McIntosh, bar a probable double hundred on debut (it would be classic McIntosh), would be just as bad as Redmond. The guy just has no technique and relies on superb natural ability alone. Thats just the way he is, two or three massive scores a season and a row of single figure scores for the rest.

Polo23

International Debutant
If McIntosh was good enough to play test cricket he wouldnt be averaging 32.00 in FC cricket.

Polo23

International Debutant
How 33.85 in FC. :ph34r:
15 tests in his 74 FC matches.

Also, if you take a look at their 50's and 100's you'll notice How is far more consistent, but McIntosh occasionally goes REALLY big, propping up his average.

Though in saying that, neither average is good enough for a test batsman.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
If McIntosh was good enough to play test cricket he wouldnt be averaging 32.00 in FC cricket.
, but McIntosh occasionally goes REALLY big, propping up his average.
Thats not promising to be honest. He occasionally gets a huge score and his average is only 32. Thats not good. If Im not mistaken, he didnt make the Auckland lineup for a season or two as well, or changed to Canterbury and really struggled IIRC.

Also, that sort of inconsistency suggests he hasnt quite got the mental side of the game sorted out. Not what you want from an international opener.

I really hope McIntosh doesnt get selected as I would hazard a guess and say it wouldnt last long even if he did.

Just a note, Martin Guptill is now 22 years old. For me, thats old enough, if he is good enough. TAylor was 22 when he first played IIRC. He just needs to get a few good scores behind him in 4 day stuff. He was selected for NZA for the tour of India last month, and opened with Aaron Redmond. That , to me suggests Redmond was the next cab of the rank and then after that it was this Guptill fellow. That ofcourse assumes the selectors have any sort of consistency, and they have not been swayed by any of the scores coming up over the past week or so.

I havent seen this guy play so Im just going on the fact he seems to have been selected for NZ emerging players and NZA so some people obviously think he has a bit about him.

Perhaps ease him into it with a few one day games. He has a better record there,.

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
From what i've seen Guptill easily has the best technique out of all the current openers in NZ.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The only thing McIntosh has going for him, IMO, is he's left handed.

Other than that, nothing.