• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only Pietersen could be criticised for hitting an unbeaten century in an ODI.

Had he gone on an all out offensive, the same critics would have blasted him for batting brainlessly when England needed him to bat out the innings.
I wouldn't criticise him, it was an excellent innings. But i still don't think he scored enough to win this match.

Of much more concern is England's failure to take advantage of powerplays, yet again.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wouldn't criticise him, it was an excellent innings. But i still don't think he scored enough to win this match.

Of much more concern is England's failure to take advantage of powerplays, yet again.
If the bolded proves true, then India's bowlers deserve immense credit, as oppose to criticising England's batsmen and Pietersen in particular.

edit: With regards to the powerplays, it'll take time before captains get used to the tactics of the batting powerplay.

In the 3rd ODI, I think Pietersen missed a trick. Bell and Bopara were going like a train, and it would have made sense in my opinion to take the batting powerplay immediately. Dhoni would have been faced with 2 options - bowl his seamers into the ground, or bring on the spinners and risk them getting absolutely smashed.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harmison to open the bowling. Regardless of whether he gets gifted 3 wickets or even more unlikely, bowls stupendously well, this is poor captaincy.

Flintoff should be bowling first-up.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, it does - my point. So if they'd stopped that four things would've been totally different, as he'd have got an odd rather than even number off that ball.

Going for the catch you had no chance of taking damaged India's chances.
There is no point debating with you because you never admit that you are wrong

Anyway, the tally now stands at

Social - 419.75

Richard - .25 (for effort)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is no point debating with you because you never admit that you are wrong
That's because if I thought something was wrong, I wouldn't have said it at all. I'm not going to admit something is wrong if I don't think it's wrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm...

Anyway, Sehwag off to the usual Sehwag start, wonder if we'll get the recent Sehwag continuation of a good start, or the old Sehwag of 2003-2007/08 giving it away pretty quickly.

And Broad is silly to complain about a ball that was leg-side of leg-stump being wided.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Harmison finding his groove at last, and this'll be over in no time.

Poor decision not to start with Fred, given that Harmy's known not to enjoy the new ball.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sehwag - on song, he's insane. Especially in Tests, but even here.

I never thought I'd see a run a ball triple century. I don't rate that knock, but you can't say that too many others are capable of doing something like that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harmison finding his groove at last, and this'll be over in no time.

Poor decision not to start with Fred, given that Harmy's known not to enjoy the new ball.
Harmison is fairly well guaranteed to be poor brand-new or 8-over-old ball, but Flintoff can potentially offer early economy. Especially given India have shown they're prepared to play him and wait for the easier pickings offered by other bowlers.

Doing that under these circumstances just might end-up getting themselves in a hole. I wonder how they'll treat him given the start they've gotten now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Harmison is fairly well guaranteed to be poor brand-new or 8-over-old ball, but Flintoff can potentially offer early economy. Especially given India have shown they're prepared to play him and wait for the easier pickings offered by other bowlers.

Doing that under these circumstances just might end-up getting themselves in a hole. I wonder how they'll treat him given the start they've gotten now.
Won't really matter, afaics. This'll be another walkover, no? You just don't see any English bowler posing a threat, and Fred's economy will be neither here nor there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That one was even better, fabulous fine glide.

Good to see a bit of imaginative captaincy though, with the Powerplay not taken.