• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have to admit, tragically sad person that I am, I'm keeping half an eye on the draft this year with a view to picking up bargains for next season's dream team. :ph34r:

howardj

International Coach
Cant believe Saints said no to Benny.
Yeah, I have this fascination with fallen stars...Ben Cousins, Mark Latham etc.

To me, you can go on about Cousins' drug addiction, but his real problem and I think a barrier to overcoming his illness, is that he has an attitude problem. I mean, leaving aside his smirk, after being denied doing what he loves for 12 months, you would think upon being let back into the fold by the AFL last week, that the guy would show some humility and be grateful.

But the first thing he does is threaten to walk away because the drug testing regime is too stringent. Then we learn that he's shaved his head, to my mind in defiance of the AFL drug testers. To me, there is no remorse or humility, just defiance. And, when you haven't got much bargaining power and you're not trusted, then you need to show prospective suitors that your attitude is spot on and that you've learned your lesson.

Guys like Symonds and Cousins, in 20 years time when they've grown up they will look back and realise that they're frittering away some of the best years of their life.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The amount of Saints fans that are livid is unbelievable. I reckon 19 out of 20 Saints fans wanted him at the club.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, I have this fascination with fallen stars...Ben Cousins, Mark Latham etc.

To me, you can go on about Cousins' drug addiction, but his real problem and I think a barrier to overcoming his illness, is that he has an attitude problem. I mean, leaving aside his smirk, after being denied doing what he loves for 12 months, you would think upon being let back into the fold by the AFL last week, that the guy would show some humility and be grateful.

But the first thing he does is threaten to walk away because the drug testing regime is too stringent. Then we learn that he's shaved his head, to my mind in defiance of the AFL drug testers. To me, there is no remorse or humility, just defiance. And, when you haven't got much bargaining power and you're not trusted, then you need to show prospective suitors that your attitude is spot on and that you've learned your lesson.

Guys like Symonds and Cousins, in 20 years time when they've grown up they will look back and realise that they're frittering away some of the best years of their life.
Jeez, innocent until proven otherwise obv, but as circumstantial evidence goes that's good stuff.

Fully expect to see him be lead away in handcuffs, photogenically stripped to the waist, sometime soon.

howardj

International Coach
Jeez, innocent until proven otherwise obv, but as circumstantial evidence goes that's good stuff.

Fully expect to see him be lead away in handcuffs, photogenically stripped to the waist, sometime soon.
Not saying that he shaved his head to avoid a positive test (apparently he passed several pee tests) but just as an act of defiance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not saying that he shaved his head to avoid a positive test (apparently he passed several pee tests) but just as an act of defiance.
Fair enough.

I think I vaguely remember from a psychology EDO back in my stude days that often people who are borderline mentally unbalanced will shave their head or have some other drastic appearance-altering haircut before a suicide attempt or other episode tho, so either way it doesn't speak wonders of his mental state just now.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Just shaved my head last week, meant to be going home in less than 2 weeks. coicidence? keep checking the newspapers over the coming weeks

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cuzzz the Lion, maybe. Mixed feelings the more I think about the possiblitly of the Lions picking him up in the draft. If he can regain anything close to his top form, it would be a huge bonus to the team. But by the same token, if he goes back to his old ways, the turnmoil surrounding it would be a huge burden on the club and it's players. Lots of ifs and buts about it all, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Don't want to see us wasting anything earlier than round 4 picks on getting him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.