• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Evermind

International Debutant
England were getting screwed but now that's Sharma's gone, it looks like it's going to be an intriguing affair.

Might go down to the wire.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly did a better job than Prior would have done. I was hoping that at 8, Prior's services would not be required and yet he came in and really messed things up at the very end. Bell and Bopara actually did a fairly good job at the top, and the idea of sending Bopara up the order could be described as an inspired one, however one gets the feeling that England really messed up their batting order once again. Collingwood is not a no 4, hes simply not good enough a cricketer to bat at number 4 for England in an ODI shirt IMO and I think England missed a trick by not batting Shah in that position instead. Personally, I dont like the idea of Freddie having to come in and accelerate from the word go and we've seen that the pressure has almost always been on him when hes come into bat to score relatively quickly and whats worse is that hes had to accelerate while playing against the spinners. IMO in the last ODI we saw what he could do with the field up during the powerplays and I really do believe that there is no stronger evidence for him to bat up the order than that.

Agree with all of that. Obv it ws a shame that neither of B&B could go on with it, but I'll settle for Bell making 40+ at a run a ball, and Bopara was better than many would have expected in his first innings at the top of the order. I certainly can't see what their appearance has to do with anything.

As you say, the middle order were far more culpable today, and Colly's definitely a place or two too high at number 4.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I've just seen Anderson's figures.

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, but he seems to be deteririating badly in this form of the game.

btw they're talking about bad light on cricinfo. What's the DL position?

EDIT
If India get their full 49 overs, then they should walk this with Broad, Fred & Swann only having 8 more between them.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Waiting for the **** bowlers to come back.
And right on cue, here's Jimmy.

If cricinfo are right about poor light, this has to be bad thinking by KP. Surely he should get all of Fred & Broad's overs in rather than let India get ahead of DL before they're called off.

EDIT
Sure enough, that over has taken India ahead of the par score when previously they were behind it. Smart thinking KP.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
More brilliance from KP - India have taken the Power Play and he keeps the spinner on. Fred & Broad are going to end up with unused overs and India will walk this now.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Genius policy of England to intimidate the opposition by opening the batting with 2 guys that look like paperboys and both have a career strikerates of under 72.
Thats funny though. England have been trying to intimidate other sides with there pseudo-Gilchrists and that has never worked. Then for the first time in a long time, they have tried the non-keeper approach and it worked out all right. In saying that. Best thing for England to do is to make some hard decisions and start culling people in the team. EIther Collingwood goes, or Bopara/Patel do, etc etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've just seen Anderson's figures.

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, but he seems to be deteririating badly in this form of the game.
Not really, he was just never that good ITFP and his figures flattered him from time to time. Plus he put in a good spell every 5 or 6 games which he still has the potential to do, though hasn't done for a little while. And because people looked too much at overall bowling-average and not enough at economy-rate and game-by-game performance, they thought he was better than he was.

I've said Anderson is not ODI-class all his career, and I've never once changed my mind.

Swann's last over today was a real disappointment. I cannot believe Pietersen used him in the Powerplay. He'd bowled damn well until then and now his day looks pretty mediocre.