• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

adharcric

International Coach
I realise that, the trouble is that until today he hadn't actually done it.

"He's a big hitter" is one of the worst reasons players get picked in ODIs despite not really being very good at all.

The next few innings' will show whether Yusuf Pathan is one such player or whether he's capable of repeating these sorts of innings'.
Fair enough. He's done it on a consistent basis in domestic cricket though, which is why he's getting this chance - also handy with the ball, though that hasn't been too apparent thus far at this level.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't get me wrong I think he is a decent test match No 7 basman has a half decent technique & looks solid at crease but opening in ODI's he looks clueless doesn't have the range of shots or placement to take advantage of power plays.
Yeah, again, I think "absolutely clueless" is about five levels harsher than it needed to be for how he has looked this innings. He's looked okay at worst. I'm not a fan of him opening (or in fact, playing) ODIs at all, but he hasn't looked bad here for mine. Just seemed like a stock-standard "Oh Prior's batting, better get on CW and make some derogatory comments about how he looks" post.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sounds like the spinners are starting to strangle us a little here. Would be a decent time for one of these to get out, get Pietersen in.

chalky

International Debutant
Yeah, again, I think "absolutely clueless" is about five levels harsher than it needed to be for how he has looked this innings. He's looked okay at worst. I'm not a fan of him opening (or in fact, playing) ODIs at all, but he hasn't looked bad here for mine. Just seemed like a stock-standard "Oh Prior's batting, better get on CW and make some derogatory comments about how he looks" post.
Against Zaheer & Munaf that is how he looked especially when you consider England England needed to score @ 6 an over & he had the field restrictions. I think he only managed to hit 1 boundry in the 1st 8 overs.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Going back a few pages, not getting the Broad hate. He has been a good ODI bowler for a while now, surprised to see Richard and EWS bemoaning his getting of wickets, almost as if they are confusing Tests with ODIs :p :ph34r:

Anyhow, saw about 10 overs whilst enjoying marmalade on toast, we looked quite sharp in the field, I saw the two run outs which both came during very good overs from Flintoff and Broad. Feel confident that we can at least be in this until the end.
By certain posters here, he has been one of the best bowlers for the last 18 months in ODIs (statiscally that is). I must admit though, I think I am here with the haters when I say that he has suprised me/us. In saying that, he still isn't a complete bowler, he is still relatively expensive.

Also, its interesting to note that India's all-rounder Pathan has been usurped in the bowling ranks by Yuvraj.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
ffs, nudging 3 or 4 singles an over off a part-timer is not how you win matches.

Hit out or get out.
This isn't backyard cricket. In saying that, they really need to take into account the RRR; its getting close to 7 now. But if they can maintain what they are doing for a little longer, the rest of the batsmen can have a hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ian Bell gets run out for 1 and isn't seen again until he strolls out as a runner.

Can he get run out twice in one England innings? :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This isn't backyard cricket. In saying that, they really need to take into account the RRR; its getting close to 7 now. But if they can maintain what they are doing for a little longer, the rest of the batsmen can have a hit.
I really don't think they should let Yuvraj get away with going at 4rpo though. Fair effort to try to play Harbhajan around for a little while but Yuvraj should be going the distance - the way RP Singh bowled, it'd really put the pressure back on to India if they only had three bowlers to reply upon.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really don't think they should let Yuvraj get away with going at 4rpo though. Fair effort to try to play Harbhajan around for a little while but Yuvraj should be going the distance - the way RP Singh bowled, it'd really put the pressure back on to India if they only had three bowlers to reply upon.
Haha, and he takes a wicket just as I say it. Good innings from Shah though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Typical England - the batsman who looks capable of setting up a win gets out whilst the Old Useless stays put to spam up the innings for a while longer.