• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Could be that Anderson is more prone to delivering length balls, which is rice and curry for Pathan. Made a mincemeat of Harmy that over.
As opposed to Harmison, who bowled exclusively length?

Got lucky with his first ball, which by rights should have been hit out the ground, almost got lucky bowling at an absolute rabbit, then the last 4 got the treatment they deserved.

Absolutely brainless bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, this is why Yusuf Pathan is in the team.
I realise that, the trouble is that until today he hadn't actually done it.

"He's a big hitter" is one of the worst reasons players get picked in ODIs despite not really being very good at all.

The next few innings' will show whether Yusuf Pathan is one such player or whether he's capable of repeating these sorts of innings'.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant

Got lucky with his first ball, which by rights should have been hit out the ground, almost got lucky bowling at an absolute rabbit, then the last 4 got the treatment they deserved.

Well it really makes you wonder doesnt it then. when u see flintoff with one over remaining.

Precambrian

Banned
I realise that, the trouble is that until today he hadn't actually done it.

"He's a big hitter" is one of the worst reasons players get picked in ODIs despite not really being very good at all.

The next few innings' will show whether Yusuf Pathan is one such player or whether he's capable of repeating these sorts of innings'.
He was not "Ready" till today. India debuted him half a year early.

Precambrian

Banned

Fully agree. Esp after he was hit for a six, almost the same length. Flintoff not bowling his full quota is criminal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Dunno about brainless, just lacking in skill. Harmison does not have the ability to bowl blockhole constantly, and was a highly questionable choice to bowl the last over. Anderson is often poor as well but I've seen him bowl good blockhole bowling more often than Harmison.

IE, Harmison might do it 1 in 20; Anderson might do it 1 in 7 or 8.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dunno about brainless, just lacking in skill. Harmison does not have the ability to bowl blockhole constantly, and was a highly questionable choice to bowl the last over. Anderson is often poor as well but I've seen him bowl good blockhole bowling more often than Harmison.

IE, Harmison might do it 1 in 20; Anderson might do it 1 in 7 or 8.
If you get an attempted yorker wrong, you'll generally bowl half-volleys or full tosses.

That every ball landed on a length suggests he wasn't engaging his brain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I very much doubt anyone runs in to bowl the last over of an innings thinking "I'll bowl length constantly here".

That'd take sheer stupidity. Complete and total lack of knowledge about bowling.

A 14-year-old who'd been watching ODIs for a year could tell you that you need to aim to bowl Yorkers every ball at the end of a ODI innings. I think it exceedingly unlikely Harmison was trying to bowl length. He just isn't good enough to not do.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's simply no way that Harmison was attempting full deliveries in that last over.

I'd expect even the worst bowler in the world to get a couple of deliveries nearly right ie. full tosses or half volleys.

Craig

World Traveller
The innings by Yusuf Pathan contained some of the most impressive hitting I have seen. Particulary how cramped he looked when he played some of his shots. The timing was impeccable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's simply no way that Harmison was attempting full deliveries in that last over.

I'd expect even the worst bowler in the world to get a couple of deliveries nearly right ie. full tosses or half volleys.
I'd also expect someone who knows not-that-much about the game to know that you don't want to aim to bowl length at the end of the innings.

Knowledge of what needs to be bowled can be attained by anyone; the skill to do it can be attained by precious few. To not have the skill to bowl what you need to is more common by an unspeakable amount than to not know what needs to be done.

I try to bowl Yorkers often. Quite often they end-up length balls.

BTW, just seen the Gambhir dismissal for the first time. Inside-edge, to a ball that turns accross you enormously. Exceedingly odd. :mellow: