• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd be happy for him to never play another ODI if he continues to bowl like he did in Tests this summer, where his figures did not do him justice. Jimmy :wub:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd be happy for him to never play another ODI if he continues to bowl like he did in Tests this summer, where his figures did not do him justice. Jimmy :wub:
While it suffices to say that Anderson last summer in Tests > Anderson in ODIs at any point in his career, I (as you know) am still to be convinced of his long-term Test viability.

Like Brett Lee, it'll take more than one good season, however good that season may be, to change my mind.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Big difference is that Anderson is 26. Have a bit of faith, there's a difference between having one good season at that age and 30.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lee was 31 (or all but) TBH.

Anyway, the point isn't about age, it's about how much 1 good season after many poor ones proves. Even though 26 is younger than 31, both of them are at a "have been around for a bit" level, and you'd have expected a player of either age to do something more in that time than be utterly hopeless (as Lee and Anderson both were). What's more, a year is a year (and no longer) however old you are.

Heck, even a 22-year-old who's had one good season I'd not be jumping in screaming how brilliant he was going to be either. One good season (or year) doesn't prove a great deal. Many people have had such things and done little else all career.

Oh, and I'm certainly not lacking in faith. It's not like I'm expecting Lee or Anderson to go downhill again immediately after their good year (though Lee's India tour means it's a question which is being asked now, and he'll have to provide an answer in the next 8 games this season). I'm just not as convinced as some people are that such a short period of success is indication of a corner being turned.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Lee was 31 (or all but) TBH.

Anyway, the point isn't about age, it's about how much 1 good season after many poor ones proves. Even though 26 is younger than 31, both of them are at a "have been around for a bit" level, and you'd have expected a player of either age to do something more in that time than be utterly hopeless (as Lee and Anderson both were). What's more, a year is a year (and no longer) however old you are.

Heck, even a 22-year-old who's had one good season I'd not be jumping in screaming how brilliant he was going to be either. One good season (or year) doesn't prove a great deal. Many people have had such things and done little else all career.
A year is of course a year. If you're 50, it's 2% of your life, and if you're 2, it's 50%. Therefore, the longer your career, the less we would read into shorter periods of success, IMO.

Plus it's not like Anderson had never looked decent. He simply went from one devatstating spell per series mixed up some okay performances and some 6.8 per over 2-123 to a consistent summer, where he took regular wickets but bowled very well even when he didn't (Headingley, for example). But this didn't come out of nowhere, it was simply the consistency we had all been screaming for.

Of course he has to still keep this up further, but you should be a lot more hopeful of him doing so than you were this time last year.

jondavluc

State Regular
It was also to mock those on here who might of said it.Anyways if no one did on hre fine but I wasn't going through 75 pages of posts to find out.Also I don't think its possible with the current crop of english players.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was also to mock those on here who might of said it.Anyways if no one did on hre fine but I wasn't going through 75 pages of posts to find out.
So you make posts designed to mock something that might or might not have been said, which you can't be bothered to find-out whether it has or not. Nice attitude. 8-)

It might be better in future to actually wait and see if anyone has said something before assuming that everyone on CW holds the same ideas as Geoff Boycott.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A year is of course a year. If you're 50, it's 2% of your life, and if you're 2, it's 50%. Therefore, the longer your career, the less we would read into shorter periods of success, IMO.

Plus it's not like Anderson had never looked decent. He simply went from one devatstating spell per series mixed up some okay performances and some 6.8 per over 2-123 to a consistent summer, where he took regular wickets but bowled very well even when he didn't (Headingley, for example). But this didn't come out of nowhere, it was simply the consistency we had all been screaming for.

Of course he has to still keep this up further, but you should be a lot more hopeful of him doing so than you were this time last year.
Oh, I am, fo' sho'. But the consideration of that possibility has merely moved from remote to under consideration. Quite a few people seem to now be almost certain he's on his way to being a World-class bowler. Which he just isn't, yet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bloody hell, eventful start.

Almost a run-out off the opening delivery, several near-misses in the opening over and Sehwag drags on one that keeps low in the 2nd over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If this pitch keeps playing like this all day 200 will be a tough chase. Surely it must get better?