• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2008/09

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ferg makes a big one, now to do that a few more times and he'll be set for internationals.

Haha, Gary Putland. Nickname "MiniGolf" :laugh:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ferguson (y) Maiden List-A ton. Hopefully he can convert a few more of those starts in FC now.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
The commentators were going on about Tait and when his realsing the ball and he is not staying tall when he bowls..or something like that

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
With the split 'keeper thing Victoria is operating, you'd think that Croswaithe (sp?) is probably due for a 4 day stint. I've seen Wade's scores this season and at the latter end of last and he hasn't been performing all that well with the bat.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The commentators were going on about Tait and when his realsing the ball and he is not staying tall when he bowls..or something like that
He's never released the ball tall though.

You've got to expect these from Tait, the way he bowls he's always likely to go for some runs.

brockley

International Captain
Nannes will make his debut quite soon for holland,in the dutch squad:cool: .
Thats unless he gets picked for australia first and thats a long bow at the moment.

howardj

International Coach
Saw the end of last night's match. It was quality fare. Anyway, fair play to Ferguson, breaking through for what will hopefully be a dam-busting century. I see Dan Cullen still hates those sleeves of his. If he hates them so much, why not just cut them off, and become the first singlet-ed cricketer.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's never released the ball tall though.

You've got to expect these from Tait, the way he bowls he's always likely to go for some runs.
Yep, exactly. Just the way he is. A physique like that, there ain't no way he'll turn into McGrath action-wise. Besides which, he took two early poles so wasn't all bad at all.

Oh man, went to the game for the second innings last night. That one actually hurt. Redbacks, you just pick me up and drop me without a second though. Hussies.

Seriously now, Voges was excellent. Batted really well but I thought Marc North was the one headed for a ton the way he was batting. Timed the ball beautifully. WA, aside from the start, just batted really well generally, was excellent to watch.

SA were too short really. The spinners were okay but the pacers were in their half too much, especially Putland. Swing bowlers generally find it tough to find swing with that length, Gary.....

Must say, loved watching the cameo by Bandy at the end. Took on one of the quickest bowlers in the world and won, some of those hooks were really ballsy. Hoping to see much more of him.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Was awesome early on but was (IMO) thrown off by his no-ball problem. Gotta say though, a few of those no-ball calls were ridiculously harsh.
Yeah the first one or two probably should've been given the benefit of the doubt, all academic for him though; he looks back to his best.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Good to see big Damo Wright making a real fist of his comeback against his old lot. Currently smashing them around 79* off 107. Vics 9/478

Quiney falling short of a century, making 88.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
SA were too short really. The spinners were okay but the pacers were in their half too much, especially Putland. Swing bowlers generally find it tough to find swing with that length, Gary.....
I read an article about Putland somewhere recently that suggested he had really improved his bowling lately by doing exactly that - bowling a slightly shorter length once the ball stopped swinging instead of just bowling straight half-vollies as he used to. Definitely took it a step or two too far yesterday though.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

I read an article about Putland somewhere recently that suggested he had really improved his bowling lately by doing exactly that - bowling a slightly shorter length once the ball stopped swinging instead of just bowling straight half-vollies as he used to. Definitely took it a step or two too yesterday though.
There's a marked difference between 'slightly shorter' and 'half-tracker' which he bowled plenty of yesterday. And, I might add, the one wicket get got was when he (you guessed it) threw it up there and let it swing, Marsh had no clue.

Don't see how he can be considered as bowling straight, either. He swings the ball miles. Ask Jack, he's faced him.

Distinctly remember when Brett Swain was told not to bother with bowling swing too, spent a few years out of the side then when he stopped listening and starting throwing the ball up there again, bowled far better and had a regular place in the side. Putland reminds me very much of Swain, actually.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
Don't see how he can be considered as bowling straight, either. He swings the ball miles. Ask Jack, he's faced him.
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting he couldn't swing it - I was more referring to what he does when the ball isn't swinging much (for anyone).. say in his second spell for example.

I definitely agree he overdid the change in length yesterday though. Bowling a less drivable length when it's not swinging is fine but he bowled far too short yesterday for someone who is picked in the team as a swing bowler and lets it go in the high 120s speed-wise.

I probably would have conveyed my point better originally if I didn't leave the word "far" out of the last sentence - totally changed the context of what I was saying. :oops:

Top_Cat

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting he couldn't swing it - I was more referring to what he does when the ball isn't swinging much (for anyone).. say in his second spell for example.
Ah yes, good point. In that circumstance, some extra tricks would help sure. He's bowled well for Southern Districts this year so maybe it's working for him there? Been no inkling that he's in line for a Sheffield Shield spot, though. Allan Wise gives that leftie swing-bowler angle

I definitely agree he overdid the change in length yesterday though. Bowling a less drivable length when it's not swinging is fine but he bowled far too short yesterday for someone who is picked in the team as a swing bowler and lets it go in the high 120s speed-wise.
Yup, exactly. Was getting the ball up around shoulder height and Doropolous saw him coming every time.

I probably would have conveyed my point better originally if I didn't leave the word "far" out of the last sentence - totally changed the context of what I was saying. :oops:
Hah - yeah, now it makes sense.