• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

pup11

International Coach
ODI series 6-1 in India's favor and test series 1-0 in India's favor, IMO.
ODI series: India 5-2

Test series: 0-0

That's how i see it shaping up, India are very likely to thump England in the rest of the ODI games and then given the pitches are going to be similar to the one' we saw in the recent Test series between India and Australia, then i can see both the tests ending in tame high scoring draws.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You 'eard.

Obviously Pathan's not in the side purely based on bowling, but he's also quite patently not that good a batsman, you can tell that from the fact his First-Class average is only 36 (which is decidedly moderate by Indian standards).

His bowling clearly plays a fair role in his selection, as much as his batting at least, and he's quite clearly a fairly nothing bowler. Just straight up and down. The ball was never going to turn much today but he didn't even do anything else. Can only come to the conclusion that he's either a) a small handful on a turning pitch or b) he doesn't always bowl like he did today.
It was an ODI, what does his FC batting average have to do with it?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's how i see it shaping up, India are very likely to thump England in the rest of the ODI games and then given the pitches are going to be similar to the one' we saw in the recent Test series between India and Australia, then i can see both the tests ending in tame high scoring draws.
You reckon England's batting is better than Australia's?

Woodster

International Captain
Should England's batting performances be good enough to secure a 0-0 draw in the Test series, then it will certainly be much improved and a result, as an England fan, I would take. With their familiar collapses in the face of top class spinning spells, England must formulate a workable plan to frustrate Harbhajan and Mishra, be a little proactive and work the ball into the gaps to rotate the strike. Sounds common sense, but I'm sure it's much more difficult to carry out the plan.

Big series here for the likes of Bell and Cook, who have recently made numerous starts without scoring big, it's vital they go on in India once set.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His List-A OD batting average is considerably worse - not even 30.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he batted down the order a fair bit? Plus, with his aggression and bowling then he's a pretty handy all-rounder.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don''t really know what position he's batted but if he's been regularly down the order that only emphasises further that bowling is the principal thing that gets him into the side.

Precambrian

Banned
Not really. He is like Klusener of his domestic side, Baroda. Always handy with the bat, and also with the ball. Expected to make contributions with the bat as compared to the ball. Last domestic season he made some superb allround performances.

Ever since the IPL, he is becoming moulded as the hard hitting allrounder who can be handy with the ball. Though it has not reflected in his international performances so far, I definitely think he has the ability to be a good No.7

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've seen Yusuf Pathan bat once and I'd be fairly confident in saying his batting is not on the same plane as Klusener's - for South Africa or for Titans (or whichever franchise it was he played for before he ICL'd).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He said that Pathan plays the same role as Klusener, not to the same effect as Klusener. They're different issues.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He said that Pathan plays the same role as Klusener, not to the same effect as Klusener. They're different issues.
To play the same sort of role you have to at least be remotely comparable, is the point I was making.

tooextracool

International Coach
Nonetheless, I think anyone who thinks England will win the Tests is being optimistic. Obviously it's not OOTQ but India are firm favourites.
I thought the people who actually thought Australia had a chance of winning the last series were OTT optimistic. Its definetly a case of being optimistic regarding England in India especially considering their most recent performances in test cricket, but one could definetly be more hopeful than if you were an aussie fan.
I would think a lot depends on the bowling conditions, if there is something in it for the faster bowlers it really does bring England into the game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I hope we get the same conditions the crims got, give us good grounds for comparison and see if I'm really on the money about us having a better attack.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
See. Its very easy to misunderstand these things.

Lets look at a hypothetical case. Steven Waugh leaves Australia and Katich, Clarke, Hodge etc are in line to replace. To say that one doesn't see any of them turning out to be of the caliber of Waugh is not to decry them or their merits as international cricketers. It is just to emphasise that waugh was not an ordinary middle order batsman.

When a country is lucky enough to have three/four truly great players playing at the same time, its not uncommon to find that the replacements aren't always another three four truly great players. It did not happen with the Indian spinners, It did not happen with the Australian attack of the recent past and it is not going to happen , in my humble opinion, with India;s middle order.

As Anil rightly puts it, Ganguly's spot may be filled. Thats because Ganguly is not of the same caliber as Sachin and Dravid while Laxman is very close to the top too irrespective to the gap in statistics.

Sure India will find Test class batsmen. All those you mention have the potential to be successful Test batsmen but these three guys they are following are a bit more than just successful Test batsmen.

The second point I was making was that if you have to replace retiring cricketers, you will generally have an idea where the replacements will come from. A surprise replacement, meaning someone completely unknown coming and taking the game by storm is not a daily happening. By and large the pool is well known. So is the case with India. The pool IS of the already tried kaif and Yuvraj, the less tried (mainly in the limited overs game) lot of Sharma, Raina, Kohli and Badrinath. One could add a couple more. Now from whatever one has seen of these youngsters, they all look to be competent cricketers but only Rohit Sharma has shown the complete set of skills (all round game, solidity of defense, width of stroke play, temperament etc) that makes one feel he is a notch higher. The others have not.

This doesn't make them redundant. Its just putting things in perspective.

I remember writing on this forum a couple of years back about the deficiencies of Yuvraj's technique and how that would hamper his career particularly in the longer version of the game. I was almost blasted off the thread. Yuvraj was the flavour of the time. Just as Badrinath is of today and Rohit Sharma was yesterday.

I wish Indian fans would not just get swayed by emotions so much that it makes it difficult to look more objectively at their heroes. I am not saying all are like that but so many are. There is nothing about one's favorite hero, and even at my late age I have mine, that should make one not be able to discuss him objectively warts and all. It enhances their appeal according to me. It humanises them. Why must we find ourselves able to only deify our heroes because the minute we do that anyone who doesn't appears to be indulging in blasphemy :)

I remember writing here, at the time when Chappell was still the coach - so it is quite some time ago - that Raina looks very promising and is the most promising of the youngsters on the horizon. No one seemed to agree. That guy too disappointed, never extending his good starts to bigger innings. Finally, Chappell was sacked and he got tagged as someone whom Chappell favoured unduly and he went into the clouds. Now he has emerged again, added temperament to his abundant stroke play and most importantly got runs. He is back in contention. But the point is that he is the same player.
His game is essentially the same as is his technique.

One should be able to look beyond the scores and the media hype and just look at a batsman shaping up to quality bowling and you get an idea about him.

I dont form my opinions based on scores or the headlines and that is what finds me at odds so often with Indian fans and , surprise surprise, not so often with those from Australia England and New= Zealand

I have leant to live with that :)
Solid reasoning SJS, your comparison to post Steve Waugh Australian batsman made it perfectly clear where you are coming from.