• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can be slowed down as his placement isn't too good seems to waste a lot of really good timed shots by hitting them straight at the fielders.
(One of the) classic mark(s) of a good Test player who can't convert to ODIs. Vaughan, Slater, Jayawardene, Younis Khan, etc.

Bell's a bit better than the above mind, but only a bit.

Precambrian

Banned
All very easy to say. Hitting the ball around against accurate bowling when new to the crease is not far nigh impossible.

Fact is Zaheer and Munaf have bowled far better than England did early on, not only getting a bit of movement but also hitting the right lengths.

Had England thrown the bat they'd probably be 50-5 or so now.

That's 34-3 now anyway.
Haha, your last 2 lines contradict.

At a loss to understand English tactic. If they are waiting to be served half-volleys, they are not going to get them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, your last 2 lines contradict.
The last was an addition as the wicket fell.
At a loss to understand English tactic. If they are waiting to be served half-volleys, they are not going to get them.
Basically, the game was lost before they went to bat. Their only hope was to spend a few overs getting set then throw the bat. The bowling was good enough to stop that happening, so the hope was next to none.

Flintoff lbw to one pitching outside leg.

Precambrian

Banned
(One of the) classic mark(s) of a good Test player who can't convert to ODIs. Vaughan, Slater, Jayawardene, Younis Khan, etc.

Bell's a bit better than the above mind, but only a bit.
Younis Khan?

Zaheer gets Flintoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 98 certainly under duress here.

Dammit, that pitched outside leg, you stupid umpire..... (Thank god he's not Indian, otherwise lots of post-colonial things would have arisen).

My fav 2 gone :( No point in watching the match now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All very easy to say. Hitting the ball around against accurate bowling when new to the crease is not far nigh impossible.

Fact is Zaheer and Munaf have bowled far better than England did early on, not only getting a bit of movement but also hitting the right lengths.

Had England thrown the bat they'd probably be 50-5 or so now.

That's 34-3 now anyway.
Yeah, even if England get absolutely rolled for 90 odd, I don't think you can be too critical of the batsmen. Chasing 387 with a batting lineup completely unaccustomed to the pitches is always going to be nigh on impossible - when you compound that by losing early wickets, it's all over.

Whatever the English batsmen do from here on, the game was decided by a combination of England's terrible bowling and Yuvraj's awesome hitting. The pitch is flat but it is by no means a pitch that should see 387 scored in 50 overs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was it Saheba or Tiffin??
Tiffin. Not the 1st (or the 50th) time he's given a poor decision in international cricket. He's just not a very good Umpire and I can't believe there aren't better out there.

RPS on.

chalky

International Debutant
The commentators are saying the pitch is slowing down as expected suggests it was a strange decision by Pietersen to bowl 1st - I missed the start of game so don't know if there was a good reason for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What if he is a late bloomer in ODIs? Tendulkar made his 1st 100 only in his 78th match.
He'd have been about 19 then though, Tendulkar was just rather too young when first picked.

Younis is 30 now.

Well, apparently he is anyway - you never know for sure with Pakistanis.

Precambrian

Banned
The commentators are saying the pitch is slowing down as expected suggests it was a strange decision by Pietersen to bowl 1st - I missed the start of game so don't know if there was a good reason for it.
The ball was swinging atleast in the first 5 overs. Even I'd be captain I'd have gone for it. Looked a fair punt then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh hell yeah there was, it started at 9AM, both captains said they'd have fielded first, as the ball was expected to do a fair bit.

Not sure whether the pitch actually is slowing down or the bowling's just better (if there's any of the former the latter certainly outdoes it) but I don't think it could really have been predicted.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good stuff India :) Just going to help the confidence boost post-Border-Gavaskar win

Last edited: