• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting should be sacked

masterblaster

International Captain
The thing is who would you want to replace him? I mean Ponting isn't the greatest captain ever, but he certainly isn't bad and I really can't see anyone who would do a better job than him.
Yeah, absolutely. I'd stick with Ponting for the time being for sure. Just saying that if Australia loses to South Africa and then loses the Ashes, the calls from the general public and cricketing media will be for Ponting to step down. Michael Clarke would probably be the man next in line, but at the moment it's too soon for him.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Ponting has been never anything more than an average leader, but he is great batsman and everytime his leadership has come under the scanner he has scored truckloads of runs almost in a way to silence his critics, so i expect a very fired up and determined Ricky Ponting to come out and blast every team he comes across from now on.
there's only so often that weight of runs from him will save the team

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We shouldn't forget the value and rarity of a captain who can keep scoring runs, and big runs, despite having the weight of the captaincy on him.

So many players who've taken on the mantle have suffered as a result. Ponting is one of those rare players whose game doesn't seem to have taken a downward turn despite having that extra responsibility.

Is Ponting a great captain? No.
Is he a great captain/batsman combination? Yes.

howardj

International Coach
The thing is who would you want to replace him? I mean Ponting isn't the greatest captain ever, but he certainly isn't bad and I really can't see anyone who would do a better job than him.
I don't think anyone, in the cold light of day, seriously thinks he should be replaced.

Craig

World Traveller
I think it shows how much Australian cricket fans and the media are used to winning, you lose one big series, and we are already talking about sacking the captain, coach, selectors etc.

Unless we are talking about India or Pakistan, I can't think of too many countries that are like that.

Precambrian

Banned
I think it shows how much Australian cricket fans and the media are used to winning, you lose one big series, and we are already talking about sacking the captain, coach, selectors etc.

Unless we are talking about India or Pakistan, I can't think of too many countries that are like that.
I think India has come out of that, nobody called for Kumble's head when we lost to Aus 2-1 or SL 2-1.

pasag

RTDAS

Huh? It has nothing to do with losing. It's the reason why we lost and the fact people should be accountable for their decisions and actions.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

The fact that Australia lost has nothing to do with it. This thread would exist even if Australia won the series 4-0.

biased indian

International Coach

we were like that in 80 and to some extent in the begining of 90's dont thik we have done that since

Johnners

Huh? It has nothing to do with losing. It's the reason why we lost and the fact people should be accountable for their decisions and actions.
Sacking a bloke with an otherwise fantastic record because of 1 poor decision, where it very debatable over how/why it was made, and if it was solely his decision, it just ridiculous though.

pasag

RTDAS
Sacking a bloke with an otherwise fantastic record because of 1 poor decision, where it very debatable over how/why it was made, and if it was solely his decision, it just ridiculous though.
Just one decision that cost the side to chance to square the series. This wasn't a marginal decision that went wrong, it was a colossal stuff up and the ultimate price should be paid. In my books there's no way he should be able to continue in the role after he put himself in front of the team like that.

Johnners

Just one decision that cost the side to chance to square the series. This wasn't a marginal decision that went wrong, it was a colossal stuff up and the ultimate price should be paid. In my books there's no way he should be able to continue in the role after he put himself in front of the team like that.
It's quite easy for everyone here to say that he simply "put himself in front of the team", but afaic it's highly unlikely that it was so simple. If it were, I'd almost agree with you.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think India has come out of that, nobody called for Kumble's head when we lost to Aus 2-1 or SL 2-1.
They should have though, because it was so obviously and painfully clear how much better a captain Dhoni was. Kumble lost the SA series too remember (rotten decision at the toss), Dhoni had to come in and save his ass in the last test. It's a good sign that the knee-jerk reactions don't seem so frequent, but in that case taking the captaincy off Kumble was the right decision.

Precambrian

Banned
They should have though, because it was so obviously and painfully clear how much better a captain Dhoni was. Kumble lost the SA series too remember (rotten decision at the toss), Dhoni had to come in and save his ass in the last test. It's a good sign that the knee-jerk reactions don't seem so frequent, but in that case taking the captaincy off Kumble was the right decision.
Not really. The Aus series was more or less determined by the fractious Sydney Test Match. And Kumble was inspirational in that with his bowling. Moreover, Dhoni wasnt ready for Test captaincy yet.

The problem for Kumble started when he started failing with the ball, The SA series was seen as just a low, and he missed the last test owing to injury. Dhoni won that match, but that was really a here-or-there pitch. The real low came in Sri Lanka, where, inspite of having the most experienced duo of spinners, India still lost the rubber. I think by that time, Dhoni had finished his apprenticeship and was ideal time to assume captaincy.

However Kumble would have sincerely thought he'd have a last hurrah at the Aussies. I think Kumble delayed it by a series, his retirement. But being the champ he was, he could take that.

If India had brought in Amit Mishra at the start of the series itself, perhaps we'd have won it 3-0.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really. The Aus series was more or less determined by the fractious Sydney Test Match. And Kumble was inspirational in that with his bowling. Moreover, Dhoni wasnt ready for Test captaincy yet.

The problem for Kumble started when he started failing with the ball, The SA series was seen as just a low, and he missed the last test owing to injury. Dhoni won that match, but that was really a here-or-there pitch. The real low came in Sri Lanka, where, inspite of having the most experienced duo of spinners, India still lost the rubber. I think by that time, Dhoni had finished his apprenticeship and was ideal time to assume captaincy.

However Kumble would have sincerely thought he'd have a last hurrah at the Aussies. I think Kumble delayed it by a series, his retirement. But being the champ he was, he could take that.

If India had brought in Amit Mishra at the start of the series itself, perhaps we'd have won it 3-0.
You haven't actually said anything i disagree with. But what you haven't touched on is their actual respective captaincy skills- field placings, bowling changes and inspiration. Dhoni trumps Kumble in all three, by so, so, so much.

Precambrian

Banned
You haven't actually said anything i disagree with. But what you haven't touched on is their actual respective captaincy skills- field placings, bowling changes and inspiration. Dhoni trumps Kumble in all three, by so, so, so much.
At present? Yes

Before Ind-Aus series? Yes, but by a little

Before SL series? Probably, but not much

Before SA series? No

Before Ind in Aus series? Absolutely no.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Graham Yallop played under G Chappell and Hughes in the early 80s, having led Australia during the WSC years.

Before that, I Chappell played under G Chappell's captaincy in 1975-76. And of course, Greg played under Ian's captaincy in WSC.
I wouldn't count Packer-gutted teams as they were clearly a different matter, and obviously Packer's Australians weren't the same as Australia, but yeah, I'd forgotten about Ian Chappell not captaining his final series against West Indies.

Anyone know why Greg did the job then? Has always seemed inexplicable to me.