• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting should be sacked

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Pretty sure he didn't, thought he was actually dropped (possibly of his own volition? Or maybe I'm blurring his and Mike Denness' on the next tour's cases together) mid-series with Ian Chappell taking over?
Yeah he was sacked mid-series, but I thought he may have made a comeback for a few tests before being sent on his merry way.

In any case, I certainly can't think of one.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure he didn't, thought he was actually dropped (possibly of his own volition? Or maybe I'm blurring his and Mike Denness' on the next tour's cases together) mid-series with Ian Chappell taking over?
No way - he was ambushed for largely non-cricket reasons - set the scene in part for Chappelli's actions in WSC.

howardj

International Coach
Would be lovely to hear Ponting or Nelson say:

Yep, we've been appalling with our over rates during the series, and it came back to bite us. After tea, our main concern was not victory but to avoid Ponting getting suspended - this was a mistake. Morever, we should have been more aware of this situation during the match, rather than having it sprung on us by the umpires at tea. We'll make more of an effort next time.

Instead, all we get is ridiculous denials by Nelson that, yes, Ponting was pressing for victory by bowling guys like Hussey. Honestly, this team will continue to slide whilstever they're in denial. It's like with Brett Lee's performance. They've convinced themselves that it was down to him being underdone. Fact is, he has never been effective on these types of tracks.

Wake up hierarchy, and start being honest with yourselves.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
BTW, who was the last Australian to play a Test as ex-captain?
Kim Hughes back in the early/mid 1980s would be the last one that I can remember. I'm almost positive that after he quit as captain, he played on under Border for a few tests.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Kim Hughes back in the early/mid 1980s would be the last one that I can remember. I'm almost positive that after he quit as captain, he played on under Border for a few tests.
He resigned though, he wasn't sacked.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dunno how on Earth I forgot him. I know that case so well. Such a fantastic player, gone to Test cricket before his 31st birthday mostly just because he was in the wrong places at the wrong times.

Wonder who the last before him was.

pup11

International Coach
Would be lovely to hear Ponting or Nelson say:

Yep, we've been appalling with our over rates during the series, and it came back to bite us. After tea, our main concern was not victory but to avoid Ponting getting suspended - this was a mistake. Morever, we should have been more aware of this situation during the match, rather than having it sprung on us by the umpires at tea. We'll make more of an effort next time.

Instead, all we get is ridiculous denials by Nelson that, yes, Ponting was pressing for victory by bowling guys like Hussey. Honestly, this team will continue to slide whilstever they're in denial. It's like with Brett Lee's performance. They've convinced themselves that it was down to him being underdone. Fact is, he has never been effective on these types of tracks.

Wake up hierarchy, and start being honest with yourselves
They themselves might very well know this that they have goofed up big time and they might know what exactly the problem is, but you obviously don't expect Ponting or his coach to come out and accept there blunders openly, and that is exactly what they have done, they have come up with an explanation, its a different matter all together that it has been a ridiculously poor and unconvincing one everytime.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They sacked Symonds for disrespecting the team ethos and acting unprofessionally, and for that event being the last in a string of similar incidents.
Classic stuff - the only happy teams are winners and perennial losers

Stuff the team ethos and professionalism, Symonds is one of the world's best cricketers and not only HAD to be on the plane to India but they are begging him to come back (despite not scoring a run in eons :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

Sack the incompetents who were part of this and let's move on

Last edited by a moderator:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
OT, but I've been fixing your quote tags a lot :p. They tend to snowball as soon as one guy makes a mistake and another guy quotes him, etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That's a fair question. Mitch Johnson seems particularly bad from what I've seen in just taking a hell of a long time between deliveries. People talk about his athleticism and endurance, but if he take 8 minutes to bowl an over, then he makes the situation impossible for his captain...
he wastes abt 5 of it talking **** to the batsmen...... :ph34r:

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Dunno how on Earth I forgot him. I know that case so well. Such a fantastic player, gone to Test cricket before his 31st birthday mostly just because he was in the wrong places at the wrong times.

Wonder who the last before him was.
Absolutely. At the time, he was easily my favourite batsman. He was on a hiding to nothing for a good part of his career, though, with Chappell's part-time captaincy and the open hostility between Hughes and the Lillee/Marsh faction.

Captain or not, you're not going to win too many battles against the combined will of Chappell, Lillee and Marsh. No wonder Hughes was so giddy at the thought of sticking it to the ACB with his rebel tours.

No idea who was before Hughes. Before my time.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely. At the time, he was easily my favourite batsman. He was on a hiding to nothing for a good part of his career, though, with Chappell's part-time captaincy and the open hostility between Hughes and the Lillee/Marsh faction.

Captain or not, you're not going to win too many battles against the combined will of Chappell, Lillee and Marsh. No wonder Hughes was so giddy at the thought of sticking it to the ACB with his rebel tours.

No idea who was before Hughes. Before my time.
Graham Yallop played under G Chappell and Hughes in the early 80s, having led Australia during the WSC years.

Before that, I Chappell played under G Chappell's captaincy in 1975-76. And of course, Greg played under Ian's captaincy in WSC.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lawry was dropped for the last test of the 70-71 series. He found out about it at the airport. He never played another test.
I wish they'd taken him in 1972 TBH. Our openers that series were dire.