• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India should rest Sharma from the first 4/5 ODIs. Dhoni should be skipping a couple as well.
AWTA fully. No point in playing Sharma for seven ODIs that will be forgotten 4 seconds after they end. They rested Tendulkar - fast bowlers need rest even more.

I don't think they'd rest Dhoni now that he has just become the full time captain in both formats (though he was before in ODIs), but I'd be in favor of it if they did. Definitely Sharma though.

Precambrian

Banned
AWTA fully. No point in playing Sharma for seven ODIs that will be forgotten 4 seconds after they end. They rested Tendulkar - fast bowlers need rest even more.

I don't think they'd rest Dhoni now that he has just become the full time captain in both formats (though he was before in ODIs), but I'd be in favor of it if they did. Definitely Sharma though.
Yeah 7 ODIs is a joke. They could have reduced that to 5 and add one more test. Stupid BCCI.

Ishy needs rest definitely. And I think he will get it, considering India's willingness to experiment on the pace front. Munaf and RP can do fine. And save Ishy for the tests. Too much exposure otherwise.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah 7 ODIs is a joke. They could have reduced that to 5 and add one more test. Stupid BCCI.

Ishy needs rest definitely. And I think he will get it, considering India's willingness to experiment on the pace front. Munaf and RP can do fine. And save Ishy for the tests. Too much exposure otherwise.
I think the BCCI wanted three Tests but England players wanted to go home for Christmas. The 7 ODI definitely has BCCI written all over it though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The England players' wish to be home for the Xmas period and the BCCI's wish for 7 ODIs are equally to blame for the lack of a Third Test.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think the BCCI wanted three Tests but England players wanted to go home for Christmas.
Yeah.

India said that there had to be 7 ODIs

England said they had to be home by Christmas

If India would have allowed 5 ODIs then there could have been a 3rd Test, if England were willing to be away over Christmas then there could have been a 3rd Test.

As it was, both sides stuck to their positions and we now have 2 Tests, 7 ODIs and England players home for Christmas.

Everyone wins apart from the fans

Precambrian

Banned
Oh. I think BCCI should have cut 2 ODIs then and add 1 test. Ridiculous they gloat about Test being the first priority and do just the opposite.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah.

India said that there had to be 7 ODIs

England said they had to be home by Christmas

If India would have allowed 5 ODIs then there could have been a 3rd Test, if England were willing to be away over Christmas then there could have been a 3rd Test.

As it was, both sides stuck to their positions and we now have 2 Tests, 7 ODIs and England players home for Christmas.

Everyone wins apart from the fans
Yeah pretty ridiculous to play a 7 match ODI series, they seem to go on and on for ever and ever, gets pretty exhausting even following it after a while, and as has already been said, i too would have loved to see another test added, because i personally find a two test series a pretty futile exercise, but obviously the two ODI' would earn BCCI more money then one test so they obviously would never shorten the ODI series to a 5 match ODI series.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Actually, if I were England, I wouldn't mind 7 ODI's in India. Might as well start identifying the players likely to fare well in the conditions where the next World Cup is to be played.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah pretty ridiculous to play a 7 match ODI series, they seem to go on and on for ever and ever, gets pretty exhausting even following it after a while, and as has already been said, i too would have loved to see another test added, because i personally find a two test series a pretty futile exercise, but obviously the two ODI' would earn BCCI more money then one test so they obviously would never shorten the ODI series to a 5 match ODI series.
They have a bilateral arrangement.. India played 3 tests and 7 ODIs when they were in England last and it is supposed to be reciprocated..

Indians have been away from home for Diwali so many times.. Time England act as professionals, tbh... It is not like they cant have their families over in India for Christmas or whatever....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They have a bilateral arrangement.. India played 3 tests and 7 ODIs when they were in England last and it is supposed to be reciprocated..

Indians have been away from home for Diwali so many times.. Time England act as professionals, tbh... It is not like they cant have their families over in India for Christmas or whatever....
If they are prepared to be away for Xmas to tour Australia then similarly they should do so for a tour of India. Their families joining them on tour gets a (N) from me though.

Don't even know why this tour is even happening - is it even part of the FTP, we were only there in 06?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Actually, as far as I can see, that isnt correct.

This was negotiated with a reciprical tour for 2011 which will be 5 ODIs, 4 Tests and 1 T20.

Apart from it not being part of the agreement, you make it sound as if England wanted 7 ODIs in 2007. That was an Indian provision and not something England wanted to have reciprocated.

Changing subjects for a second. Is it reciprical or reciprocal?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Now that I think about it, the reciprocation was actually India's tour in 07 mirroring the one we had done there the year before. Don't remember reading of any such deal for this year.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Now that I think about it, the reciprocation was actually India's tour in 07 mirroring the one we had done there the year before. Don't remember reading of any such deal for this year.
Yeah, this one was part of a new agreement which isnt related to any previous tours. England wanted 5 ODIs and 3 Tests. India said no and offered 7 ODIs and 3 Tests but insisted that there had to be 7 ODIs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Maybe this isn't possible but can't England fly home for a week or two and then play a third Test coming back? It'd be a hassle but fans would be better served.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe this isn't possible but can't England fly home for a week or two and then play a third Test coming back? It'd be a hassle but fans would be better served.
And then jump on a plane and go straight to the West Indies?

England are already weeks into a Winter schedule that does not finish until April.

The players wanted a break before the West Indies tour that starts in Jan.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Looking at it, the two venues for Test matches are Ahemdabad and Mumbai. Mumbai should have good attendance, Ahemdabad could be or not, depends. Wasn't happy with the pitch that Ahemdabad created against SA, so hoping they'll prepare something better. BCCI should say something, though not before firing the curators of places like Chennai. That pitch was a disgrace.

Anyway, back on topic, I think we'll see results in both Test matches.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And then jump on a plane and go straight to the West Indies?

England are already weeks into a Winter schedule that does not finish until April.

The players wanted a break before the West Indies tour that starts in Jan.
Yea, understandable. Still hate the two tests though. I can understand why BCCI wants 7 ODIs. Gotta pay those big salaries somehow.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Don't even know why this tour is even happening - is it even part of the FTP, we were only there in 06?
England throw out the FTP on a regular basis due to the Ashes coming more often than it really "needs to". (Plus it'll be dull if they only played the same opponents in the same sequence on a five-year rota)

An additional bonus: England get to play a five-ODI only series in India in three years...

Goughy: only one "i".