• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting should be sacked

pasag

RTDAS
He has been an excellent servant of Australian cricket, he has led the side to two unbeaten world cup campaigns, a 5-0 Ashes victory and he has one of the greatest Test records of all time as captain. I'm one of his biggest fans and his attitude post-05 Ashes shows what a great leader of men he was and how he turned that around into one of the most productive Australian periods ever, leading from the front.

However, today he put himself in front of his country and cost us the opportunity of winning one of the greatest games in Australian history. His selfishness ultimately cost us the opportunity to level the series.

For this and his general conservatism he has to go. Clarke should take the reigns come NZ and with him he'll bring a fresh and inspired era.

Polo23

International Debutant
He was never a great tactician, but he had Warne there who is a cricketing genius, I have no doubt that Warne made a lot of the decisions on the field when he played alongside Ponting...or atleast had a healthy influence on what Ponting did.

Without Warne (and probably Gilchrist to an extent) Ponting has looked unimaginative and very defensive. Obviously not having Warne and McGrath's bowling skills makes the job tougher (a monkey could have captained those two and got good results) but he still has to back who he has at his disposal.

Swervy

International Captain
my gut feeling at the moment is that maybe he should get the flick...or at least maybe suffer that one match suspension but have it dished out by the Australian authority...even if he doesnt get one because of the slow over rates. Even Ricky would appreciate the irony there. Maybe with time to reflect, I will feel differently to that

cant wait to hear what the press conference brings up!!!!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Leaving aside the fact that Im not sold on Clarke, I think the answer is a splinter in the ass 'maybe'

The logic behind the decisions made today needs to be examined. There needs to be a thorough post-mortem. If it is deemed Ponting made poor decisions, on his own, and that they hurt the team then a sacking should be considered.

However, if Australia win the game then Ponting should keep his job no matter what the post game investigation shows.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Leaving aside the fact that Im not sold on Clarke, I think the answer is a splinter in the ass 'maybe'

The logic behind the decisions made today needs to be examined. There needs to be a thorough post-mortem. If it is deemed Ponting made poor decisions, on his own, and that they hurt the team then a sacking should be considered.

However, if Australia win the game then Ponting should keep his job no matter what the post game investigation shows.
Totally agree

Wait until the result is determined and all facts are known before we punt the Punter who is, after all, one of the most succesful captains in history

Craig

World Traveller
I think it was Marc who once said it was Darren Lehman was having a word to Ponting a lot with regards to tatics and the likes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It'd be so awesome if Katich was given the captaincy. Would be one of the greatest moments in Australian cricket history.

Alternatively they could give it to Symonds :eek:

Polo23

International Debutant

How does the result change the fact that his captaincy throughout this series has been strange, negative and overall just very poor?