• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2008/09

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha HJ, was about to post exactly the same thing. The bloke knows how to bat though, only a matter of time before he pulls out a big one.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha HJ, was about to post exactly the same thing. The bloke knows how to bat though, only a matter of time before he pulls out a big one.
I'm tipping him to keep scoring those 20-40's for the rest of the season. If he gets really lucky, he might grind out a ton. But he gets bogged down too easily to really dominate.

howardj

International Coach
At last some sanity from Qld.

Good to see Perren in too, has done well in the FR Cup this summer.

Redbacks

International Captain
Would we have drawn this match without Khan?

A quality batter to just hold up an end and see us home comfortably 71*. Good for him to get some time in the middle.

What is the plan for the next game Plant out Cosgrove in? I see Dan Christian made a century in grade cricket on the weekend

Top_Cat

A quality batter to just hold up an end and see us home comfortably 71*. Good for him to get some time in the middle.

What is the plan for the next game Plant out Cosgrove in? I see Dan Christian made a century in grade cricket on the weekend
Be very surprised if Plant got dropped for Cosgrove. Don't see SA dropping anyone as yet, especially with Khan in the side.

Thing is, they've got a nick-and-nudge merchant (Mass) opening with a bloke who sits on his splice all day (Plant) so the starts have been very, very slow but decent against Vic. I'd say they'll want to give them more of a go before splitting them. For Dan Christian to come in, they'd have to drop O'Brien and, again, can't see that happening just yet.

Dan Cullen probably a bit nervous.

pup11

International Coach
Be very surprised if Plant got dropped for Cosgrove. Don't see SA dropping anyone as yet, especially with Khan in the side.

Thing is, they've got a nick-and-nudge merchant (Mass) opening with a bloke who sits on his splice all day (Plant) so the starts have been very, very slow but decent against Vic. I'd say they'll want to give them more of a go before splitting them. For Dan Christian to come in, they'd have to drop O'Brien and, again, can't see that happening just yet.

Dan Cullen probably a bit nervous.
I read somewhere that Cosgrove is planning to move from South Australia, so is there any truth to this??

Anyways i think Redbacks should retain the same side chopping and changing around with their side really isn't going change their fortunes much, but as you said Cullen really seemed to be dire in the FC games against the Blues, so his spot should come under the scanner, but with Cullen Bailey as his only prospective replacement, i don't think Dan Cullen has much to worry about there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I read somewhere that Cosgrove is planning to move from South Australia, so is there any truth to this??

Anyways i think Redbacks should retain the same side chopping and changing around with their side really isn't going change their fortunes much, but as you said Cullen really seemed to be dire in the FC games against the Blues, so his spot should come under the scanner, but with Cullen Bailey as his only prospective replacement, i don't think Dan Cullen has much to worry about there.
Could always just play four quicks and use O'Brien as the spinner.

Top_Cat

Could always just play four quicks and use O'Brien as the spinner.
Wise/Tait/Cleary/Rofe is a lot of blokes to hide in the field somewhere, though......

As for whether Cossie is looking elsewhere, wouldn't surprise me but it'd be a mistake unless he radically changes his outlook. It doesn't get any softer than SACA grade cricket nor more touchy-feely than Sorrell.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Great to see Mitch Marsh making runs for WA's CA Cup side against an attack featuring Drew, Duval and Divin. I wonder if he's any realistic chance to play for WA this season.

Julian87

State Captain

Cosgrove just has to be there. No matter how fat he is, he is still the best batsman in the state. Add him and all of a sudden it is the best middle order in Shield cricket at:

Klinger
Kahn
Cosgrove
O'Brien
Manou

Edit, forgot Ferguson. Cosgrove to open...

Loving that O'Brien is performing, so much.

And Cosgrove smashed a century against ACT yesterday, which will only help his cause. Not so good for my cousin who had to bowl to him all day on debut though...

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Cosgrove just has to be there. No matter how fat he is, he is still the best batsman in the state. Add him and all of a sudden it is the best middle order in Shield cricket at:

Klinger
Kahn
Cosgrove
O'Brien
Manou

Edit, forgot Ferguson. Cosgrove to open...

Loving that O'Brien is performing, so much.

And Cosgrove smashed a century against ACT yesterday, which will only help his cause. Not so good for my cousin who had to bowl to him all day on debut though...
To fit Cosgrove in, you'd have to open with him in place of Plant and Cossie isn't much of an opener, wouldn't back him to bat all day if he had to (he opened for Northern Districts but smashing a ton at grade level when you generally won't bat for more than a day is one thing, potentially batting for at least a day at SS level is another). Otherwise, you'd have to drop a bowler which would be plain silly; the SA batting hasn't been the big problem, it's the bowling.

Right now, there's no place for him in the side. It's not just about form and fitness either.

Julian87

State Captain
To fit Cosgrove in, you'd have to open with him in place of Plant and Cossie isn't much of an opener, wouldn't back him to bat all day if he had to (he opened for Northern Districts but smashing a ton at grade level when you generally won't bat for more than a day is one thing, potentially batting for at least a day at SS level is another). Otherwise, you'd have to drop a bowler which would be plain silly; the SA batting hasn't been the big problem, it's the bowling.

Right now, there's no place for him in the side. It's not just about form and fitness either.
I think there is a case for four quicks, as EWS said. O'Brien seems to be bowling better than Cullen at this point and a finger spinner is useless in four day sttate cricket everywhere but the SCG and Adelaide on occassion.

Top_Cat

I think it is though.

He is obviously a better batsman than everyone in the team but Younis Kahn.
SA's results and Cossie's personal results show that considerations other than form and fitness matter, especially for SA. SACA did their best with him for the last two years but had enough and cut him loose for a while. Quite a talented player, absolutely, but he's also a knob. SA is at knob critical mass in the team right now.

EDIT: I might add also that Cam Borgas, who can't buy a run for his club or state right now, also belted a ton yesterday against the same team.

I do think you're right about Cullen, though; his place must be under threat. The SACA selection is very strange right now, though; they inexplicably didn't pick Wise for the first game against Vic and picked Rofe. Rofe was the best bowler in that game and then they dropped him for Wise this game. :wacko:

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Great to see Mitch Marsh making runs for WA's CA Cup side against an attack featuring Drew, Duval and Divin. I wonder if he's any realistic chance to play for WA this season.
If they don't play him soonish, reckon he will walk away and play AFL. Should give him a game when his brother away with the NT side or when Voges gets his once a season match for Australia.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
If they don't play him soonish, reckon he will walk away and play AFL. Should give him a game when his brother away with the NT side or when Voges gets his once a season match for Australia.
He'd probably make it too, was in WA's carnival side this year. I hope he sticks with cricket, otherwise he'd more than likely be lost to Western Australia. At this rate though it looks like he could be a total gun cricketer, making runs in the CA cup at the age of 16 is nothing to be snorted at.

Edit: But having said that, the money and stardom of footy seems to attract most of the guys who do well at both. I know Shannon Hurn was a very good cricketer, SA would've loved him, there's another guy just at West Coast who looked a prospect to play state level cricket.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
I know Shannon Hurn was a very good cricketer, SA would've loved him
given a charity rookie contract in my opinion because his relation was a great player. I think he made the right choice. Never saw a real talent when playing against him. Just my opinion however.

Redbacks

International Captain
I do think you're right about Cullen, though; his place must be under threat. The SACA selection is very strange right now, though; they inexplicably didn't pick Wise for the first game against Vic and picked Rofe. Rofe was the best bowler in that game and then they dropped him for Wise this game. :wacko:
Rofe was poor in the second innings against victoria. Too full in that evening session where we gave them 50 runs in 8 or so overs. This should not be enough for him to lose his place, but Rofe has always been a banana skin when it has come to selection with the Redbacks. Dropped from the OD team for team balance as Cleary can bat:sleep:

Was able to see Wise bowl a few overs with the new ball against NSW, however there seemed to be no movement at all. If the way to get players out is to build up pressure, SA are lacking in this department currently. Even on a flat track, the ideal length must be hit, we were too full/short and punished duly.