• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2008/09

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Even if Hughes gets out for around forty, at least he's got some runs. Been a horror start to the year for him.

Meanwhile, God I hope Younis succeeds. If he doesn't have a good year, I get the distinct feeling it will be the last international player in domestic cricket for a long time.

Redbacks

International Captain
Just off to watch the last 50 odd overs of the days play.
Hope by the time I arrive, the Blues are 7 down:yes:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Henriques getting nosebleeds imo. What they're batting him ahead of Thornley in FC is beyond me tbh.

Quality effort from Hughes though (y)

Redbacks

International Captain
considering SA made 313, one had to assume that the wicket was flat, and that was simply the case. I was there to witness the last 90 runs of the Forrest, hughes 254 run partnership, and it was only a run out at that stage that I could concieve dismissing one of these two batsmen. One spectator felt the need to proclaim "Run Forrest Run!!". Forrest was clinical in punishing the bad balls, and they were in no short supply. Henriques planted the foot, pad got in the way of the bat, Plumb out for one.

Thornley came in and punished Harris before playing a wild slash to tait when he was 5-10 balls in, from there he went into defensive mode for a few overs, but the SA attack was not of enough quality to keep him down for long. He was batting very well and formed a good partnership with Hughed but eventually got caught behind off a short ball down leg side, feathered it and Manou took a good catch. Smith D played a massive shot 3rd ball, missed it by a way and didn't look good during his short stay in the middle. Klinger was unable to 'cling' to Lambert cut at gully when he was on 8*.

Star of the show was Hughes, looked comfortable, pounced on any thing in the zone, stroking the ball through the covers with ease. I can probably count 3 occassions in the whole day where he made a mistake, on 108* he drove at catching hieght, just half a meter wide of cover, then two close calls on 159* and 161*, other than that he was in total control. Just a technical question, does anyone else notice he squares up a little to bowling on his pads? A swinging ball might cause some issues

Jakester1288

International Regular
Hughes would be ****ting himself right now, drinks and he is on 197.

Well batted so far mate, good luck!

EDIT: Taking his time. Still no more runs.

EDIT: CHOKER!

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't mind what I've seen of Jon Holland today, especially on this wicket. Carseldine may have gifted his wicket to him but he's bowled tight at least. Shame about his fielding though.

pup11

International Coach
Well done Hughes!!!

It was getting kind of annoying to se such a talented bloke fail so badly off late, but good to see him score some big runs here, would surely be disappointed to miss out on a double, but it was a good knock nonetheless for him and it should give him a lot of confidence for the future games, pretty much the same thing can be said about Forrest, both Hughes and Forrest are big future stars imo.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure about fast-tracked, but I wouldn't be suprised if would be one of the youngest Test players for Australia in the last 40-50 years.
He'd have to do it within the next year for that to happen. Ponting would only have been about 21 when he played his first Test and had been playing ODI's for a good solid year or more before that.

His only chance, as far as I can see, is if Aus loses both current openers. Haydos retiring won't be enough as Jaques is already there as well as Shaun Darsh probably just ahead. Aside from that, there's no way Hughes will displace Ponting, Clarke, Hussey or any of Watson/Symonds as there's still guys like D Hussey, Hodge waiting around.

Looks a talented player but I'd be real surprised if he comes into national calculations within the next two years.

pup11

International Coach
He'd have to do it within the next year for that to happen. Ponting would only have been about 21 when he played his first Test and had been playing ODI's for a good solid year or more before that.

His only chance, as far as I can see, is if Aus loses both current openers. Haydos retiring won't be enough as Jaques is already there as well as Shaun Darsh probably just ahead. Aside from that, there's no way Hughes will displace Ponting, Clarke, Hussey or any of Watson/Symonds as there's still guys like D Hussey, Hodge waiting around.

Looks a talented player but I'd be real surprised if he comes into national calculations within the next two years.
I think that can easily happen as Katich is yet to cement his place in the side as an opener, and he would have do a lot more in order to that, if Haydos struggles for runs and with his fitness and retires than as you said Jaques in next in the pecking order, but seriously Marsh being talented and everything, he would still have to make a few runs for the Warriors in FC cricket before the selectors could even think of him as a serious option to open the batting on long-term basis, so considering all that if Hughes has a good season this year then he could come into contention for the vacant opening slot.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that can easily happen as Katich is yet to cement his place in the side as an opener, and he would have do a lot more in order to that, if Haydos struggles for runs and with his fitness and retires than as you said Jaques in next in the pecking order, but seriously Marsh being talented and everything, he would still have to make a few runs for the Warriors in FC cricket before the selectors could even think of him as a serious option to open the batting on long-term basis, so considering all that if Hughes has a good season this year then he could come into contention for the vacant opening slot.
So you've basically given him a two month window to break into the Australian test team, sometime next year, as one of the top two openers out of Hayden, Jaques, Katich, Marsh and himself. Let me know how it goes.

Just quietly, am creaming pants watching Rob Quiney here.