• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test Cricketer Younger Than You?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Because, somewhat alarmingly, I'm now among the older group on CW!!
Well most posters here seem to be in the early 20s, wouldn't say that you are in the older age group really (maybe I'm just saying that because I don't wish to be part of such a group :ph34r:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye, and of us early-20s lot, I'm now one of the oldest!!

Only you and Gelman off t'top of my head who are older.

stumpski

International Captain
Born 11.9.73. English. Richard can you provide the answer for me please?

I'd have thought it's almost certainly Ben Hollioake (again) if only because most of our debutants in the 1993-96 period were the more 'mature' types like Such, Wells and Watkinson.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'd have thought it's almost certainly Ben Hollioake (again) if only because most of our debutants in the 1993-96 period were the more 'mature' types like Such, Wells and Watkinson.
Silverwood was before Hollioake and is younger than Mr Z

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IIRC the youngest non-Pakistani/Bangladeshi to play test cricket is Sachin Tendulkar

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tendulkar is indeed the youngest Test cricketer with a certificated DOB, and the only one certainly to debut before his 17th birthday.

Piyush Chawla, Laxman Sivaramakrishnan, Derek Sealy, Parthiv Patel, Sanjeewa Weerasinghe, Maninder Singh, Ian Craig, Garry Sobers, Vijay Mehra, Harbhajan Singh and Hamilton Masakadza have also undoubtedly played Test cricket before their 18th birthdays, and a great many before their 20th.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
There hasn't actually been any legit people (I mean as thhey have no legit DOB) that have been younger than me and played test cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
However, he might well have been younger than Tendulkar, and was almost certainly not 18.

Unlike Shahid Afridi, he never appeared obviously lots older than his listed years.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't believe there's ever been an Australian cricketer born after me. Siddle is the closest but he's still a good 11 months older than I am.

My guess for the future would be Phil Hughes.