• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure. Snickometer had a sound, but I don't know if it was bat on ball. I'm relatively sure he missed it based on replays.

The downside of not having referrals. I'd like to know who vetoed it. If it was India, I've just lost all respect for them. If its Australia, well I hope they get a Sydney to change their mind. Short term pain for long term gain. We need to stop having games outcomes changed by umpires.
Doubt it was Aus who vetoed it, based on public statements. Mind you, considering India actually played under it in their last series, would have been weird had they vetoed it. They had a few go against them though, didn't they? It's the only reason I could think of why they would have said no, didn't see much of the series though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shockingly average commentary team for this series IMO. Lack of Tony Greig in a Ind/Aus series is definately weird. Only Nicholas & Shastri are good, very disappointed Slater, Bhogle, I Chappell aren't involved.
We've got Sunil Gavaskar on ours, starting to take a liking to him. Never really heard him commentating much prior to last night.

howardj

International Coach
Shastri said the referral system went well, and is a huge supporter of it.

Apparently it's set to be used everywhere after the England v South Africa series (not sure why the delay).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Doubt it was Aus who vetoed it, based on public statements. Mind you, considering India actually played under it in their last series, would have been weird had they vetoed it. They had a few go against them though, didn't they? It's the only reason I could think of why they would have said no, didn't see much of the series though.
Yea, I wouldn't think either of them would veto it, which is why I was surprised that it was not implemented.

Top_Cat

I don't think this is a bad thing, to be honest. Especially if you don't offer a shot, and then pad up, you're playing dangerously and can't blame anyone but yourself if you're given out regardless of how far out you were.
Yeah, get the feeling that it would usher in a new era for spinners. Let's face it, LBW laws have been working against spinners for many years. I know everyone blames covered pitches for nullifying them but the LBW rule hasn't helped matters either. So many LBW's given not-out which, on replay, were gone, just because the batsman bent his front-leg.

With better technology, we'd see more LBW's given so batsmen would be trying to use their bats more and I'd guess we'd see more catches in-close snagged. Would also encourage batsmen to hit out a bit so we'd probably see more spinners bowling with flight to induce the swipe for a catch or bowled. Might see Test sides with more than two attacking spinners!

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I watched the whole thing, and yes, SL came out on top with more of their referrals going their way - but that's going to happen. To me it was an unqualified success. It protects umpires from ruining matches, it keeps controversy to a minimum (it will never go away), and it allows people with better views to have an input. It's ridiculous that twenty million people can find out how big of a muppet the umpire is five seconds after a decision, including people watching upstairs, yet nothing can be done about it.

howardj

International Coach
I watched the whole thing, and yes, SL came out on top with more of their referrals going their way - but that's going to happen. To me it was an unqualified success. It protects umpires from ruining matches, it keeps controversy to a minimum (it will never go away), and it allows people with better views to have an input. It's ridiculous that twenty million people can find out how big of a muppet the umpire is five seconds after a decision, including people watching upstairs, yet nothing can be done about it.
Absolutely.

It's insane that everyone else gets to see the replay except the guy who most needs to see it.

Top_Cat

Agreed, there's no defensible reason to not use referrals.

Burgey

With the referrals, do they use Hawkeye only up to the point where it impacts the pad, or do they also use the "projected ball track"?

Reason I ask, last night Ponting had an lb shout off Kumble which, when it hit him looked a tad high, then the side-on Hawkeye "projected ball track" showed the ball decsending between where it hit Ponting, and the stumps to just clip the bails.

That seemed really odd to me. Seemed like Hawkeye had had a few at the tea break.

howardj

International Coach
With the referrals, do they use Hawkeye only up to the point where it impacts the pad, or do they also use the "projected ball track"?

Reason I ask, last night Ponting had an lb shout off Kumble which, when it hit him looked a tad high, then the side-on Hawkeye "projected ball track" showed the ball decsending between where it hit Ponting, and the stumps to just clip the bails.

That seemed really odd to me. Seemed like Hawkeye had had a few at the tea break.
Just the point up to which it hits the pad, mate.

Top_Cat

Unless pitched really full, you'd expect a ball's track to descend, though. Don't find it unreasonable, especially if Hawkeye uses the speed of the ball as it changes after pitching. As we've seen for a while, there's a pretty dramatic drop in speed from when the bowler lets go of the ball to when it reaches the batsman and with that speed drop, you'd expect the impetus keeping the ball moving and airborne to drop, resulting in correponding declination in flight. Not by much but if the ball hits Ponting just above the line of the stumps (especially on a slow pitch), I'd have no trouble accepting that with two metres left to travel, the flight of the ball would decline. Didn't see the incident in question, though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I do think that Hawkeye is more accurate than most people give it credit for. I'd certainly trust it more than most umpires. But I am fine with not using the predictive parts. It makes the luddites feel better. :p

Top_Cat

Just the point up to which it hits the pad, mate.
See, I see that as a cop-out. The calculations to predict the path of the ball wouldn't be that complex. Would think it'd be perfectly defensible to use it. Certainly would trust it more than another old set of eyes in front of a monitor.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I do think that Hawkeye is more accurate than most people give it credit for. I'd certainly trust it more than most umpires. But I am fine with not using the predictive parts. It makes the luddites feel better. :p
See, I see that as a cop-out. The calculations to predict the path of the ball wouldn't be that complex. Would think it'd be perfectly defensible to use it. Certainly would trust it more than another old set of eyes in front of a monitor.
Late. As usual. :p

R_D

International Debutant
Cograts to Ponting on getting a 100 :)
Now i hope rest of Australian team folds... maybe a quick fire 50 from White would be ideal.
India really needs to get some quick wickets in this session..... Australia is got a long batting order today.