• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watch for the predicted "So what? It's only one series" from the anti side of the Ponting debate.
Haha yeah. What I always found most startling about the criticism of his record in India, was the fact that almost everyone seems to be forgetting that India was really the only country he hasn't played in since he's been anything close to his career best form. Obviously it was still a very poor record, and was indeed a blemish on an otherwise outstanding career, but imo it was overstated.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Question is, can they get 400+. Batting will be reasonably comfortable on day 2 but India can strike early and restrict Australia to 350ish. If they do that, they get to play a chunk of day 2 giving them the advantage.

As I see it, the pitch will start to show it's true colours day 3 onwards. If Australia can get 400+, it is definitely advantage Australia as they have the runs on the board. Else, India can stack up 400-450 and put the pressure on Australia. The longer Australia bats, the better it is for them as India gets to play on a worse pitch.

According to me, it is evenly placed right now and can go either way.
Agree it's even Stevens but disagree 400 is par score. 350+ should be the aim from here, the pitch played well initially but is starting to get worse fairly quickly, some balls going through the top already.

Mister Wright

Haha yeah. What I always found most startling about the criticism of his record in India, was the fact that almost everyone seems to be forgetting that India was really the only country he hasn't played in since he's been anything close to his career best form. Obviously it was still a very poor record, and was indeed a blemish on an otherwise outstanding career, but imo it was overstated.
I don't see how an average of 12 can be overstated. Even, Ponting, when not in career best form is averaging something like 30 (at worst). He was a serious bunny in the 2001 series, and got an unfortunate pitch on the last tour, however he was well below average standard in 2001.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Agree it's even Stevens but disagree 400 is par score. 350+ should be the aim from here, the pitch played well initially but is starting to get worse fairly quickly, some balls going through the top already.
I am not saying that 400 is par score. 370 would be a par score. 400 is definitely advantage Australia. 350 is advantage India according to me.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
I would be really pissed if White bats ahead of Watto and Haddin..:@
FFS would someone shut this **** up...

Don't think you've added to this thread in any way at all.

Any who back to the game, would say Aussies are slightly in front. Gun knock from Punter showing his class. Predicting another 3-4 centuries this series from him. I think we'll get around 450 which should make this game fairly interesting. Think White got the gig as he is more of a defensive option than Krejza. He'll be hoping he can tie up an end whilst the pacemen recover. Am thinking a drawn test is the likely result at this early stage unless the pitch crumbles badly.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

I am not saying that 400 is par score. 370 would be a par score. 400 is definitely advantage Australia. 350 is advantage India according to me.
Geez, 20 runs either way is fairly tight criteria! Ultimately, agree with you though. Anything less than 350 and the Aussies would probably feel they've handed India an 'in'.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha wtf?

Massive overreaction much? Oh no, someone made a potentially vaguely negative comment about a Victorian!

pup11

International Coach
Question is, can they get 400+. Batting will be reasonably comfortable on day 2 but India can strike early and restrict Australia to 350ish. If they do that, they get to play a chunk of day 2 giving them the advantage.

As I see it, the pitch will start to show it's true colours day 3 onwards. If Australia can get 400+, it is definitely advantage Australia as they have the runs on the board. Else, India can stack up 400-450 and put the pressure on Australia. The longer Australia bats, the better it is for them as India gets to play on a worse pitch.

According to me, it is evenly placed right now and can go either way.
Yeah and i would have felt a lot more confident had Clarke not got out out today, Hussey would have bat to like Ponting did today and rest of the guys would have to rally around him, if they are able to do so they would find it easier to post an imposing first innings score, but if they lose early wickets tomorrow morning, getting bowled out cheaply won't be out of the question either.

pasag

RTDAS
Easy up Mike. No need for that.

Question is, can they get 400+....
Think there will be no problems getting there, personally. Hussey still in with Watson, Haddin and White to come who can all hold the bat albiet lack experiance. Plus Lee and Johnson at 9 and 10 is fantastic from a batting perspective.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see how an average of 12 can be overstated. Even, Ponting, when not in career best form is averaging something like 30 (at worst). He was a serious bunny in the 2001 series, and got an unfortunate pitch on the last tour, however he was well below average standard in 2001.
It can be overstated when it's taken to mean that the guy can't play spin or can't play in subcontinental conditions.

Ponting had a terrible series (in fact, two pretty bad ones), but it was 7 years ago and he hasn't played a test of note in India since he really came of age as a test batsman, until today. It was overstated because people took it to mean far too much about him as a player.

Obviously it was a significant blemish, though.

mikeW

Haha wtf?

Massive overreaction much? Oh no, someone made a potentially vaguely negative comment about a Victorian!
tbh sick of his bitching about our selection, be it Krejza or White. And advocating Casson without providing any kind of arguement. If it was once i could handle but its been a constant from my readings of the last week.

Top_Cat

Right, I need a quick rundown on this letter thing. I was away for that part.
Genius post from Chis.Hinton a while back. That was literally all he wrote in response to a post from Neil I think. Became synonymous with agreement, the pre-cursor to AWTA.

Top_Cat

tbh sick of his bitching about our selection, be it Krejza or White. And advocating Casson without providing any kind of arguement. If it was once i could handle but its been a constant from my readings of the last week.
HTFU. Seriously.

Son Of Coco

Let's face it, Victorians have added nothing to the squad for a good 20 years or more. The last one to perform admirably was Peter Taylor.

mikeW

Let's face it, Victorians have added nothing to the squad for a good 20 years or more. The last one to perform admirably was Peter Taylor.
People actually think i'm that worried about which state players represent? Couldn't care less if truth be told. Sure i have my favourites and im not denying that im advocate of Cam White's batting talents.