• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Fab five' told to plan for retirement

pasag

RTDAS
Why? The pressure to perform is equal if it's formerly-excellent players failing before you or fellow newcomers failing after you.

And players are always under pressure to perform, really. I don't think it's significantly greater depending on which other names are in the team.
I think it is significant, a stable team around you is a good thing and let's you focus on your batting. A team that has just been torn apart isn't. It's a team sport after all and these things are important, IMO.

Precambrian

Banned
Now Kumble also vehemently denies any talk of retirement, and all this is creation of media. Can we stop now please?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Now Kumble also vehemently denies any talk of retirement, and all this is creation of media. Can we stop now please?
Why? There are still several valid reasons to continue the discussion...The fact that so many players are coming out and denying it actually opens up more avenues to be discussed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think it is significant, a stable team around you is a good thing and let's you focus on your batting. A team that has just been torn apart isn't. It's a team sport after all and these things are important, IMO.
It needn't be torn apart. I view it as a clean break, personally. A wonderful opportunity for several unproven players to show their worth.

I'd define an unstable team, on the other hand, as one containing several players who knew they were to be gone soon.

Cricket may be a team sport and a stable team wishing you well as you prepare to walk to the middle may help a little, but at the end of the day it's one against one once you're out there, and once the batsman is on strike, he and he alone can do what must be done.

pup11

International Coach
Half jest of course. :-) But unsubstantiated reports like this will end up in '**** BCCI' posts inevitably, and hardly that's value creation. Jus my thoughts.
Sorry if i hurt your sentiments Mr. James.
Why the hell do you such a soft spot for BCCI they are ****ty organisation and everyone knows that.

Precambrian

Banned
There is absolutely no basis for such a case, and a pity discussions are made based on false and stupid media reports. Unless of course, if it's your pet thing to bash BCCI. For that there are infinitely more avenues.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I agree. The passing on of knowledge and advice is what will enable youngsters starting off in established cricketing teams to make progress better than their counterparts in teams like, say Bangladesh, who have no greats in their teams for the said youngsters to learn from. A mass exodus would tend to lead to something resembling the latter situation.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There is absolutely no basis for such a case, and a pity discussions are made based on false and stupid media reports. Unless of course, if it's your pet thing to bash BCCI. For that there are infinitely more avenues.
I would say there is a huge basis on which to continue the discussion on the Subject to be honest. There is no smoke without fire in most cases such as this, and even if it is a totally unfounded claim which turns out to be entirely false there is still no harm in discussing it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree. The passing on of knowledge and advice
... doesn't need players to be in the team to happen. You can pass on knowledge and advice any time, and any player is always free to seek a former player out to gain it. And so many do.
is what will enable youngsters starting off in established cricketing teams to make progress better than their counterparts in teams like, say Bangladesh, who have no greats in their teams for the said youngsters to learn from.
I'm not sure Bangladesh is a good example as near enough every player to play for them has simply not been good enough.
A mass exodus would tend to lead to something resembling the latter situation.
It doesn't seem to have done for Australia. The replacement players, like Jaques and Haddin, are capable players and hence they've had success (so far).

Precambrian

Banned
Why the hell do you such a soft spot for BCCI they are ****ty organisation and everyone knows that.
Why you have such a soft spot for Australia despite having lived in India?

Answer would be 'it's my personal wish'.

But that's not exactly mine, i care two hoots for that muddy incompetent visionless moneyminded board called BCCI. However, i believe in discussions based on facts than jus rumours. And this one is jus that. What next? BCCI is secretly funding terrorism in Pakistan?

pasag

RTDAS
It needn't be torn apart. I view it as a clean break, personally. A wonderful opportunity for several unproven players to show their worth.

I'd define an unstable team, on the other hand, as one containing several players who knew they were to be gone soon.

Cricket may be a team sport and a stable team wishing you well as you prepare to walk to the middle may help a little, but at the end of the day it's one against one once you're out there, and once the batsman is on strike, he and he alone can do what must be done.
True but on the other hand there's the incredible amount of time spent with the team as a unit away from the pitch and those things do contribute to how well a player plays and how a team performs on the whole. In an ideal world it wouldn't matter, but it does.

pasag

RTDAS
... doesn't need players to be in the team to happen. You can pass on knowledge and advice any time, and any player is always free to seek a former player out to gain it. And so many do.
Nah, no way. There's no chance that the help that these players can give the kids wouldn't be far superior if they were in the same team attending every training session together and spending hours in the dressing room with one another as opposed to a chat or session here or there.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

But that's not exactly mine, i care two hoots for that muddy incompetent visionless moneyminded board called BCCI. However, i believe in discussions based on facts than jus rumours. And this one is jus that. What next? BCCI is secretly funding terrorism in Pakistan?
8-)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well, recently retired/forced out players tend to take time off from the game entirely for a fair while. Besides, stalking the retired players and sucking out their brains isn't the same as a young batsman facing a situation where the opposition bowlers have your team at 10/3 and him desperately looking around the dressing room for any sort of advice and finding no one there to offer it.

I'm not sure Bangladesh is a good example as near enough every player to play for them has simply not been good enough.

It doesn't seem to have done for Australia. The replacement players, like Jaques and Haddin, are capable players and hence they've had success (so far).
That is true, but the Aussies still have Ponting and Hayden to turn to. Rohit Sharma would have.....Sehwag. With all due respect to him, an instinctive batsman isn't the best person to turn to for technical advice and the sort.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Nah, no way. There's no chance that the help that these players can give the kids would be far superior if they were in the same team attending every training session together and spending hours in the dressing room with one another as opposed to a chat or session here or there.
Yeah, one just needs to look at the concept of internships in any field in the workplace. Staying on the job with veterans of the trade is vastly superior to just spending a few hours a month with them in an informal setting.

pup11

International Coach

If you find the topic of discussion dire or lame, you are more then welcome to ignore this thread, but you can't possibly tell other forum members to stop discussing about a topic just because you don't think the topic is worth discussing.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, what are you on about? Not to mention the absurdity of accusing the owner and guy who pays the bills around here of trolling his own website 8-)
Gee I smell sycophancy here, it is alright if you didn't think that James' post was trollish and I am with you on that but what has that got to do with his ownership of the forum ? If this thread was started by someone else, there was a good possibility that the thread starter would have been mocked in some ways or another.

If I am not mistaken, James was posting here as just another member of the forum. Yeah he pays his bills, So ?

If anything, I think those who mocked/attacked Pnottath for questioning this thread ,merely because James was the owner of this site, owe an apology to him . After all this topic has been beaten to death and is being discussed in one form or another in pretty much every India related thread.

pasag

RTDAS
Gee I smell sycophancy here, it is alright if you didn't think that James' post was trollish and I am with you on that but what has that got to do with his ownership of the forum ? If this thread was started by someone else, there was a good possibility that the thread starter would have been mocked in some ways or another.

If I am not mistaken, James was posting here as just another member of the forum. Yeah he pays his bills, So ?

If anything, I think those who mocked/attacked Pnottath for questioning this thread ,merely because James was the owner of this site, owe an apology to him . After all this topic has been beaten to death and is being discussed in one form or another in pretty much every India related thread.
It's two points a) it's not trollish and b) it's pretty dire accusing the owner of the forum of that. At the end of the day the guy puts in so much time and effort to make it possible for us to be able to come together and discuss these things that to get accused of being a troll for merely posting a link on his forum of something he read in the paper is a bit of a slap in the face.

pup11

International Coach
It's two points a) it's not trollish and b) it's pretty dire accusing the owner of the forum of that. At the end of the day the guy puts in so much time and effort to make it possible for us to be able to come together and discuss these things that to get accused of being a troll for merely posting a link on his forum of something he read in the paper is a bit of a slap in the face.
AWTA, well said mate.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
@pasag
a. It is not trollish in your opinion, but it is possible someone else might believe otherwise, still I am with you and support you, if you disagree with him on that.

b. Not everyone here knows that James is the owner, especially the newer members. Not that it should matter

c. James puts in so much time and effort for this site is well acknowledged on this forum, but at the end of the day it is his choice to put up this website on Internet. You must not forget that this site does so well because of the members of this forum. There are 100s of internet forums but they dont have members like CW. CW is so good more because of its members and because the place allows its members to speak their minds. If we are all to bow down to the masters that work hard for this site then I am sorry, you are in the wrong business. This is not an appreciation society.

d. Lastly, You could have disagreed with Pnottath and argued why this post was not a troll. you are totally over-reacting, a lot more than pnottath, If James felt that way, he is more than capable of defending himself. But you defending him mainly because he is the owner of this site and what not and that is a very discouraging sign.