• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

pasag

RTDAS
Good to see at least one positive coming out of today, though iirc Johnson started off last season really well but the more Tests he played the more his action seems to go so let's see if he can reverse that.

I think if the West Indies showed us anything is that we need our 3rd and 4th bowler to be able to keep things tight when Lee and Clarke are not on. They don't have to be the greatest wicket takers, but they should be able to keep things tight and not leak runs when Lee and Clark aren't on.

pup11

International Coach
Binger just bowled the ball of the match for me to dismiss Kohli, good knock from him, though he was helped tremendously by Krezja, but tbf to Kohli that ball from Lee was missing leg.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Typical Lee wicket:

Cricinfo.com said:
80.1 Lee to Kohli, OUT, a bad decision. Fuller and swinging right in the block-hole and Kohli is struck on the pad, loud appeal and given by umpire Tarapore. The ball was surely sliding down the leg side.

social

Good to see at least one positive coming out of today, though iirc Johnson started off last season really well but the more Tests he played the more his action seems to go so let's see if he can reverse that.

I think if the West Indies showed us anything is that we need our 3rd and 4th bowler to be able to keep things tight when Lee and Clarke are not on. They don't have to be the greatest wicket takers, but they should be able to keep things tight and not leak runs when Lee and Clark aren't on.
His approach and action looked much better today.

Last year he became obsessed with swing and was almost roundarm at times

Today he was quick and concentrated on hitting the deck hard and bowling straight

pasag

RTDAS
Must be weird for the Indians and their fans going from referrals to this. Kinda regressing so to speak.

Precambrian

Banned
Lee, Clark, Johnson and Bracken with Clarke spin thrown in would be the most ideal Aussie attack at the moment. Can only wonder how Brack was sidelined.

social

Classic from Indian commentator when running through Oz squad

"Jason Krezja - we wont be seeing too much more of him on this tour"

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease convince the Aus selectors to make sure it doesnt happen

pasag

RTDAS
Classic from Indian commentator when running through Oz squad

"Jason Krezja - we wont be seeing too much more of him on this tour"

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease convince the Aus selectors to make sure it doesnt happen
I know Sharma and all are trying to force their way into the side, but from an Indian perspective they've probably done more harm then good for their side.

pup11

International Coach

Yeah and that fourth bowler is definitely not Krezja though, Johnson has started off really well, he rattled and hurried batsmen on a rather slow pitch, and that's the only positive to come out of this day's play, but Krezja has been a huge let down, i am not interested in ripping into him or anything but the guy has hardly looked like he belongs at this level, any batsman who has felt like belting him has done it with ease, so i am not really keen about him playing in the first test.

Having said that going into the series with a four man pace attack isn't practical either, slow over-rates are one issue, but one can't expect pacers to bowl through the day in Indian conditions, Clarke might have had some success against India, but he isn't anything more than a bowler with a golden-arm, he can break partnership now and again but can't see him or Katich chipping in with any success as spin options against a team like India.

Precambrian

Banned
I know Sharma and all are trying to force their way into the side, but from an Indian perspective they've probably done more harm then good for their side.
Care to elaborate pl? I think these two centuries by Kohli and Sharma would do infinitely to enhance their confidence, and prepare for even a test callup for the last two tests, should someone in the fab 4 screws up.

Jakester1288

International Regular
A few positives and a few negatives about todays performance.

Firstly, Johnson did well, which I like. I think he has a big part of Australia's fast bowling future, and if he can perform in the test series, on these pitches, it would do a world of good to his confidence. Whilst I seem all anti-Johnson, it is because I think he is not ready. I still think Bollinger should be selected, but if Johnson is going to bowl that well, he deserves a few more games, just to prove his worth.

Secondly, Stuey Clark appeared to be struggling, especially through the first session. Is anyone aware of if anything happened, I didn't expect him to be destroyed like that, being one the the most economical bowlers in world Cricket. Or was it just an off day?

Thirdly, send over Casson right now. Whilst I have been waiting to see Krejza play, from his first class record and his performance stats today, he is obviously not ready. I mean, he couldn't even make the New South Wales first grade side, and now he is playing for a spot in Australia? I think McGain was holding a niggling injury or something, otherwise I doubt Krejza would have come on tour. If McGain was 100% fit, he would have been a waste of a spot, where another spinner or an all rounder could have toured. In hindsight, it is good we brought a spinner, however I think we brought the wrong one.

Now some points on India.

I think Rohit Sharma is vastly under-rated. He is consistently putting up good scores for India recently in one day internationals, and had a very good IPL tournament. He has only averaged a tad over 37 for India in first class cricket, but this assures me he is going to be big. Against two of the worlds best fast bowlers, to put on a century like that was amazing. Good luck to him in the future, and only being 21, I think he will play for India some time in the next 5 years. He still has up to 15 years left, so the selectors should feel no pressure rush him into the test side.

And all this is coming from someone who has not seen a ball bowled thus far in the match.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Care to elaborate pl? I think these two centuries by Kohli and Sharma would do infinitely to enhance their confidence, and prepare for even a test callup for the last two tests, should someone in the fab 4 screws up.
He was suggesting that they could have played Krejza out of the eleven, which would be bad for India.

Not that I agree with that as such. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jakester said:
Thirdly, send over Casson right now. Whilst I have been waiting to see Krejza play, from his first class record and his performance stats today, he is obviously not ready. I mean, he couldn't even make the New South Wales first grade side, and now he is playing for a spot in Australia? I think McGain was holding a niggling injury or something, otherwise I doubt Krejza would have come on tour. If McGain was 100% fit, he would have been a waste of a spot, where another spinner or an all rounder could have toured. In hindsight, it is good we brought a spinner, however I think we brought the wrong one.
Krezja playing poorly does not advocate the selection of Casson. He's not likely to do any better. At least Krezja's record can be explained to some degree by the lack of assistance he gets in Australian pitches compared to Indian ones. Casson as a wrist-spinner isn't disadvantaged as such by the Australian pitches yet his record is still crap.. and no, playing three or four semi-decent games at the end of last season doesn't change that.

I can see the argument for four seamers - absolutely. I can't see the argument for Casson though; he's shocking. Krejza shouldn't be playing Test cricket at the current time.. not at all.. but if you want a spinner, he's the best bet at the moment, for mine.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So Cribb how has your opinion on Krejza in India differed after this days play?
Very little. There was always a chance of him getting belted.. on a first day pitch, it was always a pretty good chance. Hopefully he comes into his own a bit more in the second innings when he shakes the nerves off and the pitch starts breaking up.

He's not Test standard at the moment; I never said he was. But neither are Casson, Cullen or anyone else you want to bring up. Unless you want to play four seamers which is looking an increasingly good option, I still maintain that Krejza is the man.

Jakester1288

International Regular
For the test match, I think the bowling line up should look like this:

Lee
Clark
Johnson
Bollinger

For mine, Johnson has shown on day 1 of this match alone what he can do, and my opinion has changed on him. I still think that with McGain out and Krejza as dire as spinner get at this level, Bollinger has a spot in the side.