• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan not picked for India tour

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vaughan averages over 40 in Test cricket, a benchmark for very decent batsmen, especially when you consider the quality of English batsmen that have failed to reach this average, ie Atherton, Stewart, Hussain, etc.
Not in this era though, with these bowling attacks and these pitches. Needs major qualifying. Atherton, Stewart, Hussain >>> Vaughan.

Woodster

International Captain
Not in this era though, with these bowling attacks and these pitches. Needs major qualifying. Atherton, Stewart, Hussain >>> Vaughan.
Things have changed I agree, although any player playing in this era still has a chance to improve or decline in terms of average as presumably the majority will still be playing.
Marvan Attapattu averaged below, Simon Katich currently does, as does Jacques Rudolph. Decent players.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Patel should be ahead of the likes of Shah as far as I'm concerned - purely on batting. If you include bowling as well it's even more obvious.

Shah's had enough opportunities already and has never looked like being anything beyond average.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Patel should be ahead of the likes of Shah as far as I'm concerned - purely on batting. If you include bowling as well it's even more obvious.

Shah's had enough opportunities already and has never looked like being anything beyond average.
Would argue that Shah has only been given limited opportunities to show what he can do in tests to be honest, has not had a decent run in the side at all, esspecially when you consider the likes of Geraint Jones have been given a great deal many more chances than he has.

Woodster

International Captain

My personal preference would have been for Bopara to go, but you cannot begrudge Shah an opportunity. I'm not sure I'd say he's had enough opportunities already, he has played only 2 Test matches, with over a year in between! Hardly a chance to show what he can do. He has been one of the most consistent domestic performers of the last 5 years, so deserves a shot at the Test side.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My personal preference would have been for Bopara to go, but you cannot begrudge Shah an opportunity. I'm not sure I'd say he's had enough opportunities already, he has played only 2 Test matches, with over a year in between! Hardly a chance to show what he can do. He has been one of the most consistent domestic performers of the last 5 years, so deserves a shot at the Test side.
Do you have those numbers handy for FC over the past 5 County seasons? Id be interested in the results.

Obviously Ramps would be miles ahead but it wold be interesting to see who filled out the rest of the top 10.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mentally he just doesn't have it, he's shown this over and over again.

He's the new, not as good in the first place, Mark Ramprakash.

Woodster

International Captain
Here you are Goughy :
2007 (Div 1)
Ramprakash 2026 runs @ 101.30, Di Venuto 1329 @ 66.45, Benkenstein 1278 @ 55.56, Law 1277 @ 63.85 and Key 1250 @ 56.81
Shah (Div 2) 870 runs @ 82.50

2006 (Div 1)
Crawley 1737 runs @ 66.80, Lehman 1706 @ 77.54, Goodwin 1649 @ 63.42, Benkenstein 1427 @ 52.85, Walker 1419 @ 61.69
Shah 1038 @ 37.07

2005 (Div 1)
Joyce 1668 runs @ 61.77, Shah 1650 @ 63.46, Ramprakash 1568 @ 74.66, Key 1556 @ 59.84, Goodwin 1380 @ 57.50

Struggling to locate 2004 list.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
From 2001 onwards, Shah averages 48.94 in First-Class cricket, in 133 matches. If any other England-qualified player (that's England-qualified throughout this period - ie not Stuart Law or Kevin Pietersen) who is not a proven Test failure has done better than this in the same time period I'll eat my computer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mentally he just doesn't have it, he's shown this over and over again.
Rubbish. Shah has played 2 Test matches, doing extremely well in the 1st. He's had virtually no opportunities and hence has shown nothing over and over again.
He's the new, not as good in the first place, Mark Ramprakash.
Seem to remember Ian Bell was that once too. Guess if you label enough people the new Ramprakash you're bound to get it right eventually.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Things have changed I agree, although any player playing in this era still has a chance to improve or decline in terms of average as presumably the majority will still be playing.
Marvan Attapattu averaged below, Simon Katich currently does, as does Jacques Rudolph. Decent players.
Rudolph and Katich have been major disappointments for most of their Test careers, TBH. And Atapattu was not only from the same era as Atherton, Hussain, Stewart etc. (and we'll not even get onto why the overall career averages of these 3 are meaningless) but was also possibly the most inconsistent player in history.

Atapattu, Atherton, Hussain and Stewart all > Vaughan comfortably IMO.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
As far as the selection for the India tour is concerned, if Swann or worse Bopara, make it ahead of Samit Patel, I will be disgusted to say the least.
It depends on what you see Patel's role as TBH. His batting surely is test #6 potential ATM & his bowling although off the an exciting start in ODI would just be decent back-up a la what Symonds would have done for AUS.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
From 2001 onwards, Shah averages 48.94 in First-Class cricket, in 133 matches. If any other England-qualified player (that's England-qualified throughout this period - ie not Stuart Law or Kevin Pietersen) who is not a proven Test failure has done better than this in the same time period I'll eat my computer.
Sales had a terrible season in 2002 (injury related IIRC) but still averages 47.12 for the period you detail.

As for the original timeframe ie 5 years

Ive only looked at one other player.

Shah
83 Games, 147 Ins, 6703 runs, 51.96 av

Sales
82 Games, 135 Ins, 6141 runs, 51.61 av

Shah just shades that comparision and it maybe I hit on his closest rival in production with my first pick.

However, his performance has been very productive and steady rather than amazing and deserving of an automatic Test spot.

Interestingly, if you take 6 years as the cut off (rather than 5 or 7) it is Sales that shades it over Shah in terms of average.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
*sound of Webheads crunching county averages*

(Nick Knight averages 50.34)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Compared to Ian Blackwell that averages 47.07 :-O

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Compared to Ian Blackwell that averages 47.07 :-O
Haha good grief. I knew he'd have a pretty impressive average but that just is silly. How can such a poor batsman do that well while countless better ones merely scrape by or even fall by the wayside?

Wonder how it looks on a at-Taunton\not-at-Taunton basis (though obviously it's not going to be nothing away from adopted-home).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wel just to continue this. Ill add more if I get around to loking at them.

Over past 5 seasons (2004 on)
Sales- 51.61
Blackwell- 48.12
McGrath- 50.05
Shah- 51.96
Pothas- 50.48
Joyce- 46.44
Carberry- 38.91 (so much for certain people touting him as a Tst player after 1 good season)

Last edited: