• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Did Yardy make a test sqaud, btw? Thought he was one-day only. Pretty sure Loudon made a test touring squad based mainly on him having a faint suggestion of a doosra.
No Yardy never made a Test squad. Played a bit of 20:20 and ODI I think. If his miserable left arm "spin" is the answer then the selectors must have been asking a very wrong question

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
By "this one" do you mean me?
No, Dale Brumby. If I'm speaking to you, I address you directly, as you read (that's current not past tense) my posts. There's no point addressing someone directly who ignores you (and makes a big hoo-hah about the fact they ignore you to boot). However there are many times I'm required to address things in Dale Brumby's posts, so "this one" is the most appropriate term to use.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No Yardy never made a Test squad. Played a bit of 20:20 and ODI I think. If his miserable left arm "spin" is the answer then the selectors must have been asking a very wrong question
Think he was a victim/beneficiary of the "televised cricket counts double" selectorial rule. Seems to remeber him bowling decently in a couple of 2020s that Sky carried (his little SLA darts can be hard to get away when the force is with him) & then, bingo: one day sqaud.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Think he was a victim/beneficiary of the "televised cricket counts double" selectorial rule. Seems to remeber him bowling decently in a couple of 2020s that Sky carried (his little SLA darts can be hard to get away when the force is with him) & then, bingo: one day sqaud.
I reckon you're probably right. The thing is, he's actually a decent FC batsman and it's just weird to see him being judged as a "spinner", let alone an international spinner.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
No, Dale Brumby. If I'm speaking to you, I address you directly, as you read (that's current not past tense) my posts. There's no point addressing someone directly who ignores you (and makes a big hoo-hah about the fact they ignore you to boot). However there are many times I'm required to address things in Dale Brumby's posts, so "this one" is the most appropriate term to use.
I see. Why did you two fall out then?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Counts a bit more than double, methinks.
Oh hell yeah.

It shouldn't of course - but that's one of not-a-few selectorial pieces of muddling that goes on.

If televised games had fallen on a different schedule, it's very possible Ian Blackwell would never have played for England (an outcome, I'm sure, all would agree would've been eminently preferable).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I see. Why did you two fall out then?
A question you can only direct at him. I've only acquired my recent distaste for him because of his in my direction. I don't tend to make a habit of being unpleasant to those who treat me cordially.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh hell yeah.

It shouldn't of course - but that's one of not-a-few selectorial pieces of muddling that goes on.

If televised games had fallen on a different schedule, it's very possible Ian Blackwell would never have played for England (an outcome, I'm sure, all would agree would've been eminently preferable).
I don't care what you say about Ian Blackwell (and what you say is probably correct), that man can smack a cricket ball

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't care what you say about Ian Blackwell (and what you say is probably correct), that man can smack a cricket ball
He certainly can (when he hits it). What he can't do, though, is hit it (by playing the right shots) as often as a batsman for ODIs needs to. What's ironic is that he ended-up having a fair measure of success at international level with the suit that was perceived to be his weaker one (ie, spin-bowling).

IIRR, his OD average around the time of his ODI selection was around 22, over a good few seasons (and was no more impressive in the 2002 season). Yet he was picked because Dermot Reeve hopelessly overrated his capability, and he happened to smack a couple of half-centuries in C&G games that happened to be televised. At least one (possibly both) came at his adopted home of Taunton, which I've never doubted has played a substantial part in his really rather ridiculously impressive First-Class average.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BoyBrumby, over to you! Come on, my interest has been fired now :ph34r:
I just find Richard's unique brand of queeny, passive-aggressive BS bad for my digestion. His presenting of his own (often what might be called counter-intuitive, if one were being charitable) opinions as facts rankles too, as do his malaprops & I can no longer see an adverb without something clicking in my mind.

I went through a period of demonstrating he was talking crap on occasions, which Richard usually responded too with more crap & I came to the opinion that this was probably very tiresome for the board so have disenfranchised myself from the good fight.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I just find Richard's unique brand of queeny, passive-aggressive BS bad for my digestion. His presenting of his own (often what might be called counter-intuitive, if one were being charitable) opinions as facts rankles too, as do his malaprops & I can no longer see an adverb without something clicking in my mind.

I went through a period of demonstrating he was talking crap on occasions, which Richard usually responded too with more crap & I came to the opinion that this was probably very tiresome for the board so have disenfranchised myself from the good fight.
:robot:

(no other response is needed, and I just like the robot - I hope you do too)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Ah, but this is quite untrue. If it were true, there'd never have been a mention of me or something I've said in so much as a single post titled "BoyBrumby" since the date of the activation of the ignore-list. Yet there is, and has continued to be, at regular intervals. What's more, the big song-and-dance about the fact that Dale Brumby's ignore list contains Richard Dickinson is a regular-ish feature - in fact there was a period of not-that-inconsiderable length where it accompanied every post (in the form of a location that read "ignoring idiocy").

This would tend to suggest that the wish to use ignore-lists is entirely self-serving and having zero concern with the benefit of the board whatsoever.

I've always had a strong distaste for the use of ignore-lists as a tool to attempt to gain superiority. I have an even stronger distaste for those who put it accross that they are using ignore-lists for the wider gain (as some posters do indeed do) while in reality doing nothing of the sort. The number of these posters is not limited to one.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ah, but this is quite untrue. If it were true, there'd never have been a mention of me or something I've said in so much as a single post titled "BoyBrumby" since the date of the activation of the ignore-list. Yet there is, and has continued to be, at regular intervals. What's more, the big song-and-dance about the fact that Dale Brumby's ignore list contains Richard Dickinson is a regular-ish feature - in fact there was a period of not-that-inconsiderable length where it accompanied every post (in the form of a location that read "ignoring idiocy").

This would tend to suggest that the wish to use ignore-lists is entirely self-serving and having zero concern with the benefit of the board whatsoever.

I've always had a strong distaste for the use of ignore-lists as a tool to attempt to gain superiority. I have an even stronger distaste for those who put it accross that they are using ignore-lists for the wider gain (as some posters do indeed do) while in reality doing nothing of the sort. The number of these posters is not limited to one.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

I love the smell of napalm in the morning

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of that I have no doubt. However, given the time where I am (and I've always presumed judging by your location that your time is of a similar if not identical nature to mine) reads approximately 2230 hours, I fail to see quite how that is currently of significance.