• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Cricket to Lift it's Ban on ICL Players

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, go Ranatunga.

Would be interesting if Bangladesh, England and NZ formed a "**** the BCCI" alliance and picked ICL players just for fun. If funding was cut for these countires then the mud would stick and could backfire massively on the BCCI.

Theres's a passage in Orwells 1984 that would go beautifully with the current political situation in world cricket iirc, I must find it later.
No idea where we got what money from, but would imagine ECB's finances to be reasonably healthy, matches are always well attended and the game in general does okay here, given everything else. For example, the one-day tops sell quite well, they stick out a DVD that shift a few, have a very handsome deal with Sky.

Going to be controversial but I don't think falling out with the BCCI would hurt us anywhere near as much as falling out with Cricket Australia would.

pup11

International Coach
No idea where we got what money from, but would imagine ECB's finances to be reasonably healthy, matches are always well attended and the game in general does okay here, given everything else. For example, the one-day tops sell quite well, they stick out a DVD that shift a few, have a very handsome deal with Sky.

Going to be controversial but I don't think falling out with the BCCI would hurt us anywhere near as much as falling out with Cricket Australia would.
Nope, that ain't the case, India is from where a solid chunk of revenue flows into the game and every cricketing nation needs to maintain good relations with them to stay financially afloat, the big sponsors, the viewership that comes from India are too big for any country to ignore, but the problem is ****s controlling the BCCI has decided to use this power in a wrong way and that's what is causing all these problems.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not convinced, not unless I see some hard figures. If we were to cut bilateral ties with the Aussies it would do so much long-term damage to the game in this country. Young boys would not necessarily want to grow up and play cricket if the dream of the Ashes wasn't there.

I might be wrong, I probably am but I think our relationship with the Aussies is worth more than our one with India.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, for ECB there is obviously more money with dealing with BCCI that with not but it isnt particularly important.

ECB is profitable and tours to England are in demand. ECB doesnt need a relatiuonship with Indian cricket to make a healthy surplus. In fact up until this year, the ECB had a greater annual income than BCCI.

As things stand currently, the BCCI doesnt have a great deal of financial impact on the English game. That may change but even if it does it would raise profits not subsidise a loss making ECB.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I'm glad someone else said this, other than me. Goughy, I think I might stop posting in these ICL threads as you are getting my thoughts across much better than I am :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not convinced, not unless I see some hard figures. If we were to cut bilateral ties with the Aussies it would do so much long-term damage to the game in this country. Young boys would not necessarily want to grow up and play cricket if the dream of the Ashes wasn't there.
I think that signifies as many problems as it presents solutions.

There's no doubt there's an over-emphasis on The Ashes where cricket over here is concerned. And there's equally little doubt this has caused problems, of many different nature, of times.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, for sure. I've said before that there is too much emphasis on just the Ashes being the be-all, end-all. My point is, though, that upsetting the BCCI wouldn't be the end of the world and I don't think it would be in their best interests to try cut us off, tbh.

cricman

International 12th Man
Lanka Lions is next team in the ICL

Though uncertainty hangs over Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) decision to revoke the ban on Indian Cricket League (ICL) players, several key young Sri Lanka cricketers are reportedly negotiating with ICL organisers to take part in the next ICL season starting on October 10.

Several talented youngsters such as Malinga Bandara, Gayan Wijekoon, Dilhara Lokuhettige, Anil Rideegammanagedara, Danuka Pathirana and Bathiya Perera are among the players reportedly linked with ICL negotiations, according to sources.

With Sports Minister Gamini Lokuge showing his displeasure over the Arjuna Ranatunga led SLC interim committee’s decision to remove the ban and talking of a likely re-enforcement of the ban, players who opt for ICL are likely never to get another chance to play for Sri Lanka.

Sources said that negotiations were on to field a Sri Lanka team under the name “Lanka Lions” for the tournament, but an alleged dispute between Sri Lanka’s ICL player agent and a very senior player is reportedly holding back the plans now.

The senior player who played in previous ICL tournaments has reportedly claimed that he would organise the team while the Agent is also alleged to claim the credit for organising the local team.

There is reportedly a heavy commission for whoever fields a team for the cash-rich ICL tournament.

Following players are reported to have had discussions with the ICL organisers, but the Sri Lanka team is yet to be finalised.Marvan Attapatu (captian), Aviska Guanwardena, Saman Jayantha, Russel Arnold, Upul Chandana, Malinga Bandara, Dilhara Lokkuhettege, Gayan Wijekoon, Lanka De Silva, Anil Reedigamannagedara, Hasantha Fernando, Ruchira Perera, Shantha Kalavitigoda, Danuka Pathirana, Bathiya Perera, Indika De Saram, Ranga Dias

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, for sure. I've said before that there is too much emphasis on just the Ashes being the be-all, end-all. My point is, though, that upsetting the BCCI wouldn't be the end of the world and I don't think it would be in their best interests to try cut us off, tbh.
It wouldn't - but nor would it be in the best interests of either board to have an icy relationship. The BCCI need the ECB and the ECB need the BCCI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lanka Lions is next team in the ICL
Though uncertainty hangs over Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) decision to revoke the ban on Indian Cricket League (ICL) players, several key young Sri Lanka cricketers are reportedly negotiating with ICL organisers to take part in the next ICL season starting on October 10.

Several talented youngsters such as Malinga Bandara, Gayan Wijekoon, Dilhara Lokuhettige, Anil Rideegammanagedara, Danuka Pathirana and Bathiya Perera are among the players reportedly linked with ICL negotiations, according to sources.

With Sports Minister Gamini Lokuge showing his displeasure over the Arjuna Ranatunga led SLC interim committee’s decision to remove the ban and talking of a likely re-enforcement of the ban, players who opt for ICL are likely never to get another chance to play for Sri Lanka.

Sources said that negotiations were on to field a Sri Lanka team under the name “Lanka Lions” for the tournament, but an alleged dispute between Sri Lanka’s ICL player agent and a very senior player is reportedly holding back the plans now.

The senior player who played in previous ICL tournaments has reportedly claimed that he would organise the team while the Agent is also alleged to claim the credit for organising the local team.

There is reportedly a heavy commission for whoever fields a team for the cash-rich ICL tournament.

Following players are reported to have had discussions with the ICL organisers, but the Sri Lanka team is yet to be finalised.Marvan Attapatu (captian), Aviska Guanwardena, Saman Jayantha, Russel Arnold, Upul Chandana, Malinga Bandara, Dilhara Lokkuhettege, Gayan Wijekoon, Lanka De Silva, Anil Reedigamannagedara, Hasantha Fernando, Ruchira Perera, Shantha Kalavitigoda, Danuka Pathirana, Bathiya Perera, Indika De Saram, Ranga Dias
I was worried for a second. Then I saw the names on the list. :laugh: Several are already retired; many others are once-second-string players who were never anywhere near good enough for Tests or ODIs; and there's a few who I haven't heard of. Possibly there may be a player or two in there who might at some point have become a good international player but there's a good few who I'd have bet my bottom dollar would never have done.

Little to see there. Just such a shame Dilhara Fernando wasn't involved.

Migara

International Coach
Marvan Attapatu (captian) - retired
Aviska Guanwardena - no hoper
Saman Jayantha - retired
Russel Arnold - retired
Upul Chandana - retired
Malinga Bandara - Mendis has thrown him out of the equation
Dilhara Lokkuhettege - bright prospect for T20, his battng has come ages
Gayan Wijekoon - seletors ****ed him up, should've selcted hhim when he was able to bowl at 135kph, and was able to open the innigs, No he's too old
Lanka De Silva - no hoper
Anil Reedigamannagedara - bigger no hoper
Hasantha Fernando - no hoper
Ruchira Perera - biggest of 'em all
Shantha Kalavitigoda - Good young batsman, failed to find feet
Danuka Pathirana - useless
Bathiya Perera - useless
Indika De Saram - Good batsman, but too old
Ranga Dias - no hoper

pup11

International Coach
Marvan Attapatu (captian) - retired
Aviska Guanwardena - no hoper
Saman Jayantha - retired
Russel Arnold - retired
Upul Chandana - retired
Malinga Bandara - Mendis has thrown him out of the equation
Dilhara Lokkuhettege - bright prospect for T20, his battng has come ages
Gayan Wijekoon - seletors ****ed him up, should've selcted hhim when he was able to bowl at 135kph, and was able to open the innigs, No he's too old
Lanka De Silva - no hoper
Anil Reedigamannagedara - bigger no hoper
Hasantha Fernando - no hoper
Ruchira Perera - biggest of 'em all
Shantha Kalavitigoda - Good young batsman, failed to find feet
Danuka Pathirana - useless
Bathiya Perera - useless
Indika De Saram - Good batsman, but too old
Ranga Dias - no hoper
I think we could expect even better Lankan players to join the ICL in the future since the SLC has already announced that they won't be banning any player for joining the ICL.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
http://www.cricketnext.com/news/dont-skip-ipl-sri-lankan-board-told/34277-13.html

'Don't skip IPL,' Sri Lankan Board told

New Delhi: Sri Lanka's sports minister Gamini Lokuge has instructed the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) board to ensure that those players who are contracted with the BCCI-run Indian Premier League (IPL) be allowed to skip the England tour next year.
"I want the contracted players to honour their committments with the IPL. I don't want the tour to England be called off. But the team on English soil can have non-contracted IPL players," he said from Colombo.
The sports minister did not want the relations between the two boards be affected. The minister had meetings with the Interim Committee members on Tuesday afternoon. The SLC chairman Arjuna Ranatunga could not attend the meeting as he is yet to return from England.
According to the sources, he is likely to meet the sports minister on Wednesday once he returns from his 11th overseas trip after taking over the post on January 1 this year.
"The players who played for ICL will not play for the nation again," he emphasised.
"I am being told that these players are only allowed to play at domestic levels," he added.
The ministry could not finalise the team and manager for the Canada tournament. It is most likely to be done on Wednesday.

Precambrian

Banned
Ah, that should settle all doubts. AR is being a rebel without a cause here. But skipping a test tour for IPL would be setting a precedent, which we've always been wary about, only time before someone did it.

Hopefully, the English board do some tweaking in the dates to put ODIs instead of tests during the IPL. Because we all want a full power SL take on England. Otherwise it'd be pointless to conduct it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
http://www.cricketnext.com/news/dont-skip-ipl-sri-lankan-board-told/34277-13.html

'Don't skip IPL,' Sri Lankan Board told

New Delhi: Sri Lanka's sports minister Gamini Lokuge has instructed the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) board to ensure that those players who are contracted with the BCCI-run Indian Premier League (IPL) be allowed to skip the England tour next year.
"I want the contracted players to honour their committments with the IPL. I don't want the tour to England be called off. But the team on English soil can have non-contracted IPL players," he said from Colombo.
The sports minister did not want the relations between the two boards be affected. The minister had meetings with the Interim Committee members on Tuesday afternoon. The SLC chairman Arjuna Ranatunga could not attend the meeting as he is yet to return from England.
According to the sources, he is likely to meet the sports minister on Wednesday once he returns from his 11th overseas trip after taking over the post on January 1 this year.
"The players who played for ICL will not play for the nation again," he emphasised.
"I am being told that these players are only allowed to play at domestic levels," he added.
The ministry could not finalise the team and manager for the Canada tournament. It is most likely to be done on Wednesday.
"The two boards" being the BCCI and the Sri Lankan Board presumably.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, that should settle all doubts. AR is being a rebel without a cause here. But skipping a test tour for IPL would be setting a precedent, which we've always been wary about, only time before someone did it.

Hopefully, the English board do some tweaking in the dates to put ODIs instead of tests during the IPL. Because we all want a full power SL take on England. Otherwise it'd be pointless to conduct it.
It's already fairly pointless IMO. The only need for it is that the ECB have a contract with Sky which requires 7 Tests and 10 bilateral-series ODIs per summer, which must be fulfilled otherwise substantial compensation will need to be paid.

In all respects bar that I'd have been far happier had the Twenty20 World thingy been the only thing in the first part of the summer of 2009. We've had many overcrowded summer schedules since 2000 but next year will be the most ridiculous yet.

I like SL and always enjoy watching England play them but the last time was just 2006. 3 years is not long enough between series' AFAIC.

As for the IPL, I don't blame the Lankans in the slightest for taking more interest in the IPL than the Test series if their own board isn't even getting them their wages on time.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's already fairly pointless IMO. The only need for it is that the ECB have a contract with Sky which requires 7 Tests and 10 bilateral-series ODIs per summer, which must be fulfilled otherwise substantial compensation will need to be paid.

In all respects bar that I'd have been far happier had the Twenty20 World thingy been the only thing in the first part of the summer of 2009. We've had many overcrowded summer schedules since 2000 but next year will be the most ridiculous yet.

I like SL and always enjoy watching England play them but the last time was just 2006. 3 years is not long enough between series' AFAIC.
I'm getting worried here, I keep agreeing with you... :unsure:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

As for the IPL, I don't blame the Lankans in the slightest for taking more interest in the IPL than the Test series if their own board isn't even getting them their wages on time.
Ah, like me you have tried to remove last winter's series from memory, you've been more successful though :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm getting worried here, I keep agreeing with you... :unsure:
Here's a chance to return to normal. :p
"The two boards" being the BCCI and the Sri Lankan Board presumably.
Yep, guess the sports minister has more of an eye on certain things than does Arjuna.

I admired him hugely for fighting a war with a cause which he had a chance of winning (and did) over the Murali issue in 1998/99 but to blaze the guns when all it will do is cause you to go down in a blaze of less glory and more misery is a misguided act.

It's funny, there's no doubt that the general principle under which cricket in Sri Lanka acts (that the ultimate authority is not the Pres, Chair or CEO of the board but the sports minister) is not a good one. But on pretty much all occasions it's made the news over here about the sports minister stepping in I've thought the sports minister had the right idea.