• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Cricket to Lift it's Ban on ICL Players

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No one is all good here but at least this means someone is showing a bit of courage standing up to the BCCI and that can only be good for the game.

pup11

International Coach
Don't know why everyone's so excited about SL taking the moral high-ground. It's just about politicking from Ranatunga, that's all.
Yeah that's true but still its a brave desicion on SLC part to stand against BCCI and not take their bull**** lying down.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that's true but still its a brave desicion on SLC part to stand against BCCI and not take their bull**** lying down.
Very brave given their supposed to be pretty much bankrupt!

I presume this has an impact on them being allowed in the Champions League as it did with Kent.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
One of main reasons why we are brankrupt is cus we are losing money left, right and centre from funding domestic cricket. Lack of Test matches has made a major impact, but that not something that can be solved overnight.

Whereas the commerical partners that a willing to fund the new provincial series, have the questioned the quality of last years tournment. With talk of more fringe players moving to ICL, as they got paid very little during the provincial. The only way to stop the influx and keep these guys for the provincial tournments was to lift the ban.

The first step to not stop being brankrupt is to break even, or atleast minimise the losses in domestic cricket. The only way to do that is the provincial tournment. The only way the commerical partners were going to stay involved in domestic cricket was if the top fringe players stayed.

Sometimes you have to look after your own backyard before you worry about the impact your decisions may make internationally.

Craig

World Traveller
One of main reasons why we are brankrupt is cus we are losing money left, right and centre from funding domestic cricket. Lack of Test matches has made a major impact, but that not something that can be solved overnight.

Whereas the commerical partners that a willing to fund the new provincial series, have the questioned the quality of last years tournment. With talk of more fringe players moving to ICL, as they got paid very little during the provincial. The only way to stop the influx and keep these guys for the provincial tournments was to lift the ban.

The first step to not stop being brankrupt is to break even, or atleast minimise the losses in domestic cricket. The only way to do that is the provincial tournment. The only way the commerical partners were going to stay involved in domestic cricket was if the top fringe players stayed.

Sometimes you have to look after your own backyard before you worry about the impact your decisions may make internationally.
What is the money like for a domestic cricketer in Sri Lanka and is that a good wage for person to earn in Sri Lanka or is it poor?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What is the money like for a domestic cricketer in Sri Lanka and is that a good wage for person to earn in Sri Lanka or is it poor?
Due to benefits of being a FC cricketer it is decent. Basic wage is only slightly above average.

Upul Chandana said after his retirement that he still had to work for another 30 years to feed his family. As he didn't earn enough from cricket over 20 years of domestic cricket and 15 years of International Cricket to be well for the rest of his life. Though he did say in the last five years of his career he earned more then the first 15, due to central contracts.

I know Chandana and Arnold retired early, so they were still young enough to develop a career outside cricket if required. Though both are TV presenters now.

But a domestic cricketer wont earn much more then your average worker. Domestic cricket in Sri Lanka is still pretty much amauter status and it is reflected in the wages.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whoa. SL standing up to the BCCI. It is absolutely fantastic to see, though I wonder how much money this will cost them. I guess we'll find out when BCCI release their itinerary and Sri Lanka get bumped from seven ODIs in Mumbai to three in Jamshedpur.

BCCI is now in a very vulnerable position. If they don't hit Sri Lanka hard, they'll look toothless and it'll be an incentive for the other boards to follow suit, especially New Zealand with Bond and legitimizing the ICL is not something they can afford. On the other hand, if they do follow through and hit Sri Lanka hard, they could risk alienating a very useful vote on the ICC council, and losing a subcontinental vote is not something they can afford either. Ah, politics, but I guess this is what Sharad Pawar was made for - let's see how he handles it. On the other hand, farmers are still committing suicide under his watch, so I rather hope he focuses on that one.....

Either way, this could cost the BCCI, and for that I am grateful. However, I do hope it doesn't cost the Sri Lankans too much - their finances are already not in the best position.
I agree completely with this post. Arjuna Ranatunga is surely playing a very dangerous game here, I'm not sure if it's a sensible one at all.

One thing I'd say is that legitimising the ICL is not something ANYONE can afford. Much as I'm greatful to see some form of potential "split" in the Asian "bloc", I hope this doesn't play into Subhash Chandra's hands.

I've said it all along - standing-up to the BCCI is fine in theory and you can call anyone who doesn't do so spineless all you like, but in practice the general result of standing-up to the bully (who in this case happens to be the lawkeeping force) is a bloody nose and little besides. I hope Ranatunga has thought this through.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wow !! If that is indeed true then Congratulations to SL for standing up to BCCI and also another feather in Arjuna's cap. I must say it was going to happen sooner or later...after what we saw during the India-SL series when an ICL player was awarding MoM trophy to Sehwag. :)
Compared to the fact that Zee was televising the series, the presentation of a puny MOTM award was of near irrelevance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's hope it's the start of a resolution to the ICL-IPL thing.
It's not an ICL-IPL thing, it's an ICL-BCCI thing. That's so important to remember, misunderstanding the situation there has already led to all sorts of confusion.

Craig

World Traveller
I agree completely with this post. Arjuna Ranatunga is surely playing a very dangerous game here, I'm not sure if it's a sensible one at all.

One thing I'd say is that legitimising the ICL is not something ANYONE can afford. Much as I'm greatful to see some form of potential "split" in the Asian "bloc", I hope this doesn't play into Subhash Chandra's hands.

I've said it all along - standing-up to the BCCI is fine in theory and you can call anyone who doesn't do so spineless all you like, but in practice the general result of standing-up to the bully (who in this case happens to be the lawkeeping force) is a bloody nose and little besides. I hope Ranatunga has thought this through.
TBH if anybody was to have the 'balls' so to speak, it would be Arjuna Ranatunga if one does look back to that ODI at Adelaide Oval a good ten years ago.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Better to go down fighting than just give them your lunch money

Migara

International Coach
Nicely done by AR. He has only allowed players to play domestic cricket. Possibly step on the door method to get what he wants? He may ban them once more if BCCI promises 10bn Rs for SLC! He's craftier than Sharad Pawar!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly. From an outsider's POV (Ranatunga may know important stuff I don't) it appears SLC are basically fighting a forlorn battle they've no hope (not small - none) of winning.

This wasn't such a long time ago.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
As Chaminda posted earlier, the move could be just to give some adrenaline to the domestic structure, and nothing more than that. I don't think any of the ICL players be considered for central contracts or for national selection anyway. So that rules out any urgent need to react from the BCCI right now. While the BCCI-haters might perceive this as some sort of a thwack to it's 'supremacy' and may hail the 'beginning of the end' of the Asian bloc, others perceive this as jus political upmanship from AR, and i suspect the reasoning behind it to be to get more 'attention' to SLC from the IPL, i.e, Champions trophy involvement. There could be more to it.

Seeing all these developments, i wonder, jus speculate, whether the IPL would evolve to become SPL (subcontinental premier league) by incorporating three more teams each from Pakistan, SL and Ban, and thereby 'appease' the Asian partners. Jus a thought.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fighting what though? What are you gaining vs. potentially losing?
It was more a general point than specific to this situation, but needless to say no board should ever have ANYTHING to do with another side's selection. Hence any consequences are IMO worth it because international cricket's biggest threat is external selection policies IMO

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It was more a general point than specific to this situation, but needless to say no board should ever have ANYTHING to do with another side's selection. Hence any consequences are IMO worth it because international cricket's biggest threat is external selection policies IMO
International cricket's biggest threat is a split in cricket.

Precambrian

Banned
It is not like BCCI is holding a knife to the other boards' neck and dictating terms to them, BCCI has expressed clearly that it will not tolerate any domestic activity involving ICL, which it is entitled to, and as regards to international cricket, it has no authority to dictate selection stuff. Cricket Australia or Cricket New Zealand are perfectly entitled to select ICL players in their national squads, and there is little BCCI can do legally in that.

Now if the boards themselves cave in to BCCI's carrots and sticks, that denotes how pathetic those boards have become, and hence should cop maximum blame, if there is to be.