• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

pasag

RTDAS
What? No way. Not in India.
Yeah, granted we haven't played on a turner for a while but the only times the Australian batsman have looked poor in the past year have been against the pace of Sharma and Edwards and I reckon they'd be much more afraid of anything that helps the seamers more than the spinners, especially as they're pretty confident against spin on the whole.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously seasonal factors come into it, but if a pitch naturally turns, it will still do so to some extent, won't it? I mean, you could play at the WACA, to use an opposite example, at any time of year, and it will still have it's usual characteristics and won't be low and slow compared to, say Sydney.

Top_Cat

Obviously seasonal factors come into it, but if a pitch naturally turns, it will still do so to some extent, won't it? I mean, you could play at the WACA, to use an opposite example, at any time of year, and it will still have it's usual characteristics and won't be low and slow compared to, say Sydney.
What makes a pitch turn and what makes it bounce are completely different, though, with the weather coming into the former far more than the latter. For a bouncy pitch, the water content, clay type and how much it gets rolled means, yeah, no matter the weather it'll probably bounce (although for the last few years, the WACA has flattened out considerably due to our drier weather so has become flatter). For a pitch to spin, the clay content/type (softer in India from what I've read), rolling, etc. come into it, sure. But above all, it needs to be dry and getting to pitches to dry enough at the time of year the Aussies are headed there will be damn-near impossible.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
India are quite capable of beating Australia on a reasonably friendly wicket for seamers if they play well, I wouldn't panic too much.

Think about it this way - the win will be all the sweeter if the pitch conditions are relatively sporting.

howardj

International Coach
Look out India - Ponting is coming to get ya!

This part man, part machine will be motivated beyond belief.

Tipping a 400+ run series.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, granted we haven't played on a turner for a while but the only times the Australian batsman have looked poor in the past year have been against the pace of Sharma and Edwards and I reckon they'd be much more afraid of anything that helps the seamers more than the spinners, especially as they're pretty confident against spin on the whole.
Disagree. Australians are good players of spin, but if you have a track that is tailor made for Kumble and Harbhajan, and doesn't suit the seamers, I'll back the Indians vs. McGain a lot more than then Australians vs. Harbhajan/Kumble.

And I'm not taking anything away from the Australians, but in home conditions, where the pitch suits the Indian team, I think India are about as unbeatable as you can reasonably expect a team to be. It's a very rare thing indeed to see them lose on that, even when they bat last. On the other hand, on a pitch like Ahemdabad, sometimes they see green, see someone like Lee on the other side, and lose heart before the game starts.

India are quite capable of beating Australia on a reasonably friendly wicket for seamers if they play well, I wouldn't panic too much.

Think about it this way - the win will be all the sweeter if the pitch conditions are relatively sporting.
I'll just take a series victory! Against other teams, maybe it'd feel better, but vs. Australia, a win is a win.

Look out India - Ponting is coming to get ya!

This part man, part machine will be motivated beyond belief.

Tipping a 400+ run series.
Quite possibly. For me to rate him among the top three all time great Aussie batsmen (he is close), he absolutely has to show he can play in India. Fourteen scores under 20 in 15 innings is absolutely shocking for someone of his talent, especially since it includes six scores under 10 and three ducks. It doesn't do justice to his ability, and it's a huge red mark: 14, 13, 18, 2, 60, 9, 16, 0, 6, 0, 0, 11, 11, 12.

I think he realizes this and probably desperately wants to do well. I actually want him to do well too (as long as Aussies lose :p), because I think it'll be real exciting if he can try to put his past behind him. Plus, he is just much too talented a player to retire with that type of record in India.

pasag

RTDAS
Disagree. Australians are good players of spin, but if you have a track that is tailor made for Kumble and Harbhajan, and doesn't suit the seamers, I'll back the Indians vs. McGain a lot more than then Australians vs. Harbhajan/Kumble.
Yeah, point was only in reference to the Aussie batsman though. Obviously on the whole turning tracks would suit India more.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, point was only in reference to the Aussie batsman though. Obviously on the whole turning tracks would suit India more.
Fair enough. With Australia, I don't think you can expect to prepare a spinning track and simply expect a win. But it would be a travesty if the curator didn't do his best to prepare a spinning track. I might get into the effigy business if I see another Ahmedabad, that track pissed me off, though obviously nowhere near the first track which was designed so that you could play five consecutive Tests and not get a result on a single one. Actually, what annoyed me the most was that the third track - which produced a gripping, result oriented track - was reported by the ICC for not being suitable for Test cricket, and yet the first track that produced the worst five days of cricket imaginable was deemed acceptable. Tracks like the one in Ahmedabad are a bit unfortunate from a fan's point of view, but it's all part of the game. Tracks like the first Test shouldn't be part of the game.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Quite possibly. For me to rate him among the top three all time great Aussie batsmen (he is close), he absolutely has to show he can play in India. Fourteen scores under 20 in 15 innings is absolutely shocking for someone of his talent, especially since it includes six scores under 10 and three ducks. It doesn't do justice to his ability, and it's a huge red mark: 14, 13, 18, 2, 60, 9, 16, 0, 6, 0, 0, 11, 11, 12.

I think he realizes this and probably desperately wants to do well. I actually want him to do well too (as long as Aussies lose :p), because I think it'll be real exciting if he can try to put his past behind him. Plus, he is just much too talented a player to retire with that type of record in India.
See, I've often said his record in India has nothing to do with spinning tracks or being in India at all. He's basically been dismissed by two bowlers in India; Kumble in 1998, Harbhajan in 2001. His record at home and away against Murali, Mushtaq, Saqlain, etc. shows he can play spin in spinning conditions. He just happened to face them in series' when they were absolutely at the top of their games, I reckon, and was positively wrecked by them. Rarely have I seen such a class player look utterly clueless as I did with Ponting in 2001.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
See, I've often said his record in India has nothing to do with spinning tracks or being in India at all. He's basically been dismissed by two bowlers in India; Kumble in 1998, Harbhajan in 2001. His record at home and away against Murali, Mushtaq, Saqlain, etc. shows he can play spin in spinning conditions. He just happened to face them in series' when they were absolutely at the top of their games, I reckon, and was positively wrecked by them. Rarely have I seen such a class player look utterly clueless as I did with Ponting in 2001.
Playing in Sri Lanka and Pakistan is different from playing in India. It really is, even though at a superficial level, both are playing in 'spin friendly' conditions. There are a lot of things about India that are unique, and not all of them are necessarily on the pitch - though I would still maintain that playing a good tandem of spinners in India is harder (and quite different in terms of skillset/temperament, etc) than playing a sole Murali in Sri Lanka or Mushy/Saqi in Pakistan.

And yes, in 2001, I have never seen a spin bowler bowl better than Harbhajan in 2001, so I'll absolutely give you that - but other players did score. And you'd back someone of Ponting's quality to score more than he did. He didn't even get to 20!

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned

And I'm not taking anything away from the Australians, but in home conditions, where the pitch suits the Indian team, I think India are about as unbeatable as you can reasonably expect a team to be. It's a very rare thing indeed to see them lose on that, even when they bat last. On the other hand, on a pitch like Ahemdabad, sometimes they see green, see someone like Lee on the other side, and lose heart before the game starts.

I'll just take a series victory! Against other teams, maybe it'd feel better, but vs. Australia, a win is a win.

AWTA. But he seems to have got Bhajji into his head. Even in Australia, but for the Adelaide, he was put under pressure by Bhajji. More mental than technical i'd say.

Burgey

AWTA. But he seems to have got Bhajji into his head. Even in Australia, but for the Adelaide, he was put under pressure by Bhajji. More mental than technical i'd say.
AWTA. I don't think there's much doubt he has the capacity to play him, as he plays most other spinners so well. Definitely a mental thing IMO.

pup11

International Coach
For me its important that Ponting comes out of that mental block and comes out with a positive intent against all the Indian bowlers (including Harbhajan) right from the 1st test, if he does that then that would set the right tone for the whole Australian team for the rest of the series.

Top_Cat

For me its important that Ponting comes out of that mental block and comes out with a positive intent against all the Indian bowlers (including Harbhajan) right from the 1st test, if he does that then that would set the right tone for the whole Australian team for the rest of the series.
AWTA. Captain runs are worth more than others to team spirits.

Precambrian

Banned
I subscribe to Chapelli's observations regarding Ponting's performance in India, and that he has been guilty of getting on the accelerator far too soon. Now that he's the most experienced player in the ranks, he has to assume responsibility and play an anchoring kind of role. The kind of he played at Adelaide, which, despite the track being flat etc, i regard as one of his best efforts, since it showed that he could slow down and play the waiting, frustrating (for the opposition) game. If Ponting is a success in the tour, i.e, having scored around 350 or above runs, i would hazard a guess at his strike rate at around 50.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
I subscribe to Chapelli's observations regarding Ponting's performance in India, and that he has been guilty of getting on the accelerator far too soon. Now that he's the most experienced player in the ranks, he has to assume responsibility and play an anchoring kind of role. The kind of he played at Adelaide, which, despite the track being flat etc, i regard as one of his best efforts, since it showed that he could slow down and play the waiting, frustrating (for the opposition) game. If Ponting is a success in the tour, i.e, having scored around 350 or above runs, i would hazard a guess at his strike rate at around 50.
It's a bit funny that you mention that innings from Adelaide.

I remember watching Ponting's, Hayden's and Clarke's tons in that game, and while watching Punter's, I thought, "How slow is he batting?" while with Clarke and Hayden, I thought, "He's playing plenty of shots, really dominating here."

I checked the scorecards later and realised that Ponting had the highest strike rate, and Clarke had the lowest.

Funny game, cricket. :happy:

pup11

International Coach
Chappelli just has to come up with some stupid reasoning for everything, Ponting' record in India is piss-poor only because he got owned by the Indian spinners, he had a very poor technique against spin bowling, he used to go at the ball with very hard hands and his foot-work against the spinners too was circumspect, and obviuosly with that sort of technique he was bound to fail against good spin bowling on spin friendly Indian tracks.

But over the years that side of his game has also improved he plays spin bowling with soft hands, uses his feet against them and looks much more assured against them, so i am sure this time around Ponting would fair qiute well on this time around in India.

Top_Cat

Chappelli just has to come up with some stupid reasoning for everything, Ponting' record in India is piss-poor only because he got owned by the Indian spinners, he had a very poor technique against spin bowling, he used to go at the ball with very hard hands and his foot-work against the spinners too was circumspect, and obviuosly with that sort of technique he was bound to fail against good spin bowling on spin friendly Indian tracks.

But over the years that side of his game has also improved he plays spin bowling with soft hands, uses his feet against them and looks much more assured against them, so i am sure this time around Ponting would fair qiute well on this time around in India.
He better - or the good judges at CW.net will deign him not an all-time great and I don't think he could live with that.