• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't know your personal situation but Indian series are fairly harsh on the UK viewer, particularly if you work say a 9-5 job. When South Africa toured earlier this year I had to get up about 4.30am and skip any morning activities such as work just to get a full days play in.

Although, I'm sure Sky will have a bumper two hour highlight show later in the day, for its a 'marquee' series for them.
Yeah, maybe got a bit carried away with "a fair bit" as I do work a 9-5 job, well actually 8-5, the plan is to catch an hour before I leave for work in the morning, and watch most of the weekend play. Kids tend to have me up around half six, seven anyway, so I'll probably catch two sessions on weekend days

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
He also goes on to declare that the conditions might be "lively" for the quicks - yeah right
Although it shouldn't be, its not impossible. Nagpur 4 years ago was pretty seamer friendly & it probably will be again, given that it seems IND have put it as the 4th test to probably prevent AUS from getting any early advantage during the series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Right, right, I got ya. Didn't watch any of that myself tbh. For some reason I never get as interested about an ODI series if there is no Test series with it

ps can we sticky this now please seems as the first game is less than a month away and CC is freaking me out, I keep thinking random topics are stickied :p

pup11

International Coach
I almost stopped reading after:

John Buchanan was the mastermind behind Australia conquering their Last Frontier in 2004

His "plan" was to have McGrath and Gillespie bowl line and length i.e. precisely the same thing that they did for their > 10 years careers

It was obviously very easy to be declared a mastermind in those days

Anyway, glad I didnt stop reading because it was really enlightening to hear how well we'd do considering he admitted that:

a. None of the bowlers have played there before

b. We have no spinners

c. He assuming Hayden and Ponting are declared fit, which they havent been as yet

He also goes on to declare that the conditions might be "lively" for the quicks - yeah right

It would be winter in India while is the series would be played so you can very well expect the conditions to be lively.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I almost stopped reading after:

John Buchanan was the mastermind behind Australia conquering their Last Frontier in 2004

His "plan" was to have McGrath and Gillespie bowl line and length i.e. precisely the same thing that they did for their > 10 years careers

It was obviously very easy to be declared a mastermind in those days

Anyway, glad I didnt stop reading because it was really enlightening to hear how well we'd do considering he admitted that:

a. None of the bowlers have played there before

b. We have no spinners

c. He assuming Hayden and Ponting are declared fit, which they havent been as yet

u r taking it a little too lightly here..

McGrath and Gillespie were bowling line and length in 2001 too and were getting tonked. Had they tried more of the same, given the kind of form Sehwag was in, they would have got tonked even more.

They made a very conscious effort to attack the stumps, which, while taking Sehwag out of his comfort zone (outside off), also made life a lot more difficult for the out of form middle order guys. In fact, with the exception of Ganguly, I think they basically attacked the stumps bowling to every batsman in the line up.. And how well it worked.. They even ended up making Shane Warne look threatening on those pitches.. It would be almost criminal to understate the effects of the planning and groundwork the Aussies had put in for that series..

To me, that was the main (and perhaps only) reason they won that series so convincingly as they did.....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath and Gillespie were bowling line and length in 2001 too and were getting tonked. Had they tried more of the same, given the kind of form Sehwag was in, they would have got tonked even more.
Yep. 2001, the plan was definitely to play for edges by bowling more outside off-stump and take the ball away from the bat, stacking the slips too, occasionally bringing the ball back to play for the LBW for variation. No 3rd man, no sweeper, etc.

2004 was entirely different; the plan was palpably to bowl at the stumps bringing the ball back in with sweepers on the fence to cut off the boundaries, the ball moving away being the variation ball to take the edge after frustrating the Indian batsmen into playing a shot which wasn't on.

Same bowlers, entirely different plan of attack. The Aussie way was always the former method and works just about everywhere. To see them bowl like they did in 2004 was a masterpiece of execution. Was considered more defensive but who cares? They won.

pup11

International Coach
Yep. 2001, the plan was definitely to play for edges by bowling more outside off-stump and take the ball away from the bat, stacking the slips too, occasionally bringing the ball back to play for the LBW for variation. No 3rd man, no sweeper, etc.

2004 was entirely different; the plan was palpably to bowl at the stumps bringing the ball back in with sweepers on the fence to cut off the boundaries, the ball moving away being the variation ball to take the edge after frustrating the Indian batsmen into playing a shot which wasn't on.

Same bowlers, entirely different plan of attack. The Aussie way was always the former method and works just about everywhere. To see them bowl like they did in 2004 was a masterpiece of execution. Was considered more defensive but who cares? They won
AWTA, similar plans need to applied this time around too, the Aussies applied in and out fields from the word go last time around which made Indians work harder for their runs, as we all know the Indian batsmen more or less like to deal in boundaries, and they aren't too comfortable working the gaps and running 1's and 2's.

The only thing to bee seen is that whether Clark, Lee and Johnson can maintain good discipline with ball for that sort of tactic to work this time around.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another example of CA's incredibly inept management

Some of the Australia A tourists selected for the upcoming senior tour have been recalled from India so they can get straight back on a plane bound for the same friggin' country

Morons

Top_Cat

AWTA, similar plans need to applied this time around too, the Aussies applied in and out fields from the word go last time around which made Indians work harder for their runs, as we all know the Indian batsmen more or less like to deal in boundaries, and they aren't too comfortable working the gaps and running 1's and 2's.
Yep I'd say that'll be a big part of the tactics this time; get the Indian guys running hard for their runs especially slugs like Sehwag, Sachin and Ganguly (if he plays).

pup11

International Coach
Yep I'd say that'll be a big part of the tactics this time; get the Indian guys running hard for their runs especially slugs like Sehwag, Sachin and Ganguly (if he plays).
I would swap Sachin with Laxman there, Sachin has always been good at running between the wickets, but Laxman just likes to stand and deliver, and if he could have things his way he won't run a single run.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would swap Sachin with Laxman there, Sachin has always been good at running between the wickets, but Laxman just likes to stand and deliver, and if he could have things his way he won't run a single run.
but quite funny that the same plans did not seem to work back in Australia earlier this year... Sachin and Laxman both made plenty of runs and so did Sehwag.

And to be completely honest, Sehwag is actually one of the best guys when it comes to running between the wickeets, when he is not in his lazy mood, that is.. :)

Top_Cat

but quite funny that the same plans did not seem to work back in Australia earlier this year... Sachin and Laxman both made plenty of runs and so did Sehwag.
That's because they didn't use the same line (nor possess the bowlers to pull it off anyway....Lee bowled very accurately but is too quick to keep batsmen guessing about the pace on teh ball). Bowling wicket-to-wicket only works on slow, low pitches which dont' come onto the bat. As flat as the Aussie wickets were last summer, they still have enough useful bounce so that deliveries on middle are fairly easy to nurdle around the corner.

And to be completely honest, Sehwag is actually one of the best guys when it comes to running between the wickeets, when he is not in his lazy mood, that is.. :)
That was more what I was referring to anyway. He's clearly fit and fast but lazy.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That's because they didn't use the same line (nor possess the bowlers to pull it off anyway....Lee bowled very accurately but is too quick to keep batsmen guessing about the pace on teh ball). Bowling wicket-to-wicket only works on slow, low pitches which dont' come onto the bat. As flat as the Aussie wickets were last summer, they still have enough useful bounce so that deliveries on middle are fairly easy to nurdle around the corner.

That was more what I was referring to anyway. He's clearly fit and fast but lazy.
I guess, but then again, it might just be a different set of batsmen they will be facing this time, at least in terms of form and preparedness.. I think their best policy would still be to attack the offstump and just outside.. Pitches like Bangalore and Nagpur will give them plenty of assistance and early winter Delhi wicket will swing and seam like anything. Also I would expect their batters to be significantly better at handling these conditions than our guys. ONe of the reasons I think Australia will take this series, as much as I hate it to happen...

pup11

International Coach
I guess, but then again, it might just be a different set of batsmen they will be facing this time, at least in terms of form and preparedness.. I think their best policy would still be to attack the offstump and just outside.. Pitches like Bangalore and Nagpur will give them plenty of assistance and early winter Delhi wicket will swing and seam like anything. Also I would expect their batters to be significantly better at handling these conditions than our guys. ONe of the reasons I think Australia will take this series, as much as I hate it to happen...
But... didn't Australia win at MCG and SCG with stump-to-stump tactics, yeah we all know umpiring was piss poor in Sydney but still all the success Australia had there was due similar tactic they adopted in India during the 04 series.

Incidentally when they decided to exploit the conditions at WACA by trying to attack with a off-stump and outside off line they went onto lose that game, so that certainly indicates something, doesn't it?

Having said that Australian management should be flexible enough to work around with their tactics according to the conditions they come across.

Precambrian

Banned
In fact Tendulkar commented that 2007-08 Australian team was the most defensive one he's toured ever.

Last edited:

Burgey

Friggin country is your ****ing Australia. .
Mate, if you think social was insulting India with his post, I think you're sadly mistaken. I'm sure he'll comment for himself, but I think he was talking along the lines of "They've got the blokes there already, but they're bringing them back to send them to the same ****ing place", whether the place be India, Perth or Shangri La.

Precambrian

Banned
Mate, if you think social was insulting India with his post, I think you're sadly mistaken. I'm sure he'll comment for himself, but I think he was talking along the lines of "They've got the blokes there already, but they're bringing them back to send them to the same ****ing place", whether the place be India, Perth or Shangri La.
Agreed. However free speech doesnt mean demeaning speech. Whether intended or not. Ought to respect sensibilities of everyone here. :)