• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
This is going to be such a great series... can we not have one thread for cricket and a second one for ranting, a bit like there was one for everyone complaining about T20?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Selectors have had an easy run for the last 10 years, any XI or squad has picked itself. Reckon they go out of their way to make 'shock' selections, just to be seen to be doing their job. "Yes, we go to all the Pura Cup games. Yes, we go to all the Ford Ranger games, oh and yes, we know what we are doing." FFS, just pick the best players available. How Noffke is not in the best 15 players in Australia atm is beyond me.
He is no doubt. But from what i have seen of his bowling i'm not so sure how effective he would be in Indian conditions. But then again those some questions apply to the other three quciks selected.

Personally i would really gone for the wild card pick in Tait if he looked good in those upcoming a-team matches or Bracken without a doubt IMHO would have suited the Indian conditions, he would have taken the job of a second spinner (Krezja) who really is just there for experience.

edit:

On the Katich/Watson, really they shouldn't be battling for one position both have to play now. So unfortunately Jaques will have to make way.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Why wasn't Cameron White the all-rounder?

Looks like the Vics aren't happy about only having two players in the squad. ;)
Love the way Shipperd damns White's leggies with faint praise,

"His batting has matured fabulously during the past 12 months, he is a wonderful fieldsman (especially in the slips) and he bowls leg-spin."

His batting has matured fabulously, his fielding is wonderful, oh, and he bowls too. :laugh:

Article says Casson missed out with a groin strain too; first I'd heard of that.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

"His batting has matured fabulously during the past 12 months, he is a wonderful fieldsman (especially in the slips) and he bowls leg-spin."

His batting has matured fabulously, his fielding is wonderful, oh, and he bowls too. :laugh:

Article says Casson missed out with a groin strain too; first I'd heard of that.
Well I don't think "His six wickets at 47 last season was a fantastic return" was really going to cut it...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:laugh:

edit - I reckon this is the most eagerly anticipated Test Series on CW since the last Ashes. I can't wait, reckon I might get to see a fair bit. Haven't decided who to support yet, either.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone

Tbf, that's obviously relating to Indian pitches being more condusive to spin bowling in comparison to Watson's fast-mediums.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

edit - I reckon this is the most eagerly anticipated Test Series on CW since the last Ashes. I can't wait, reckon I might get to see a fair bit. Haven't decided who to support yet, either.
I don't know your personal situation but Indian series are fairly harsh on the UK viewer, particularly if you work say a 9-5 job. When South Africa toured earlier this year I had to get up about 4.30am and skip any morning activities such as work just to get a full days play in.

Although, I'm sure Sky will have a bumper two hour highlight show later in the day, for its a 'marquee' series for them.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I think India's batsmen have to very aggressive here and really put the Aussie bowlers under pressure.

I think right from the first tour game, there should be a concerted attack on Johnson and McGain and really try and knock the stuffing out of their confidence.

I think if India's batsmen win their battles against the Aussie bowlers most of the time, I just can't see the Aussies winning.
That was the key in 2004 - a very experienced group of Aussie bowlers managed to keep India's batting down and on a tight leash.
However if India break free, their bowlers in turn will be able to exercise enormous pressure on the Aussie batsmen.

It is the performance of Messrs Sehwag, Gambhir, Tendulkar, Laxman, Dravid that will hold the key for India.

It will be a close series - I don't think the Aussies will have the runaway wins they add in 2004.
Hoping for Ponting to fail again (although I suspect he won't) but more importantly, I wanna see the Aussies lose.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Can't wait for the start of this. Will be very good tbh, probably will be in India durin the most of the series too.

pup11

International Coach
Tbf, that's obviously relating to Indian pitches being more condusive to spin bowling in comparison to Watson's fast-mediums.
Seriously speaking White hasn't even proven himself with the bat or even with the ball in Odi cricket so how can Shipperd come up with such a ridiculous statement, i know there is bias in his comments being the Victorian coach, but even in that case he would have been better off suggesting the name of somebody like David Hussey rather than White.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seriously speaking White hasn't even proven himself with the bat or even with the ball in Odi cricket so how can Shipperd come up with such a ridiculous statement, i know there is bias in his comments being the Victorian coach, but even in that case he would have been better off suggesting the name of somebody like David Hussey rather than White.
Victorian coaches have a history of talking up their players. At least once a year, they're required (by contract, probably) to say something that makes every sensible person in the world go "What the....?"

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know how anyone could believe Katich's spin will be better than Watto in India. Sure, they're usually pretty good for turn.

But this is INDIA. Remember, that team that smashed Shane Warne all over every ground in India every time he was there? He was only the greatest leggy of at least the last 50 years or so.

But yeah, I'm sure Katich would be heaps handy. Hogg sure was last summer.
Clarke took 6/9 against them the last time Aussie toured, as I'm sure you'll know. Just because Warne didn't perform in India doesn't mean part-time spinners can't.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Clarke's evil. He won the game in Sydney too, after I was sure it was a draw. Three wickets out of nowhere...the guy has sold his soul to the devil.

pup11

International Coach
Clarke's evil. He won the game in Sydney too, after I was sure it was a draw. Three wickets out of nowhere...the guy has sold his soul to the devil.
I hope he uses those demonic powers while batting rather than bowling, this time around.:ph34r:

Andre

International Regular
Obviously I'm in a minority here, but I am quite excited by the squad that the Aussies have selected. Realistically, I think McGain is the best spinner in the country by a reasonable margin, and Casson, although performing admirably, pretty much fell into the Test side in the West Indies once MacGill packed it in mid-tour - it would have been very damaging for Casson's confidence to be overlooked for that match despite him being on the tour as a 'development' type player. He did a reasonable job all things considered, but it was hard to imagine him not getting absolutely murdered by Sehwag, Laxman and co. on small grounds, especially considering he is a bowler who doesn't get a great deal of bounce.

This, I'd say, is why Krejza got the start. He gives the ball a real rip - differant kind to Casson. Casson is more side spin, not an awful lot of bounce or overspin, but Krejza bowls with a large amount of overspin, which gets the ball to really drop and bounce, which is the danger of these conditions. People get carried away with the idea of the wickets being raging turners, but its not that fact that makes them difficult to bat on - its the fact that certain types of bowlers can get the ball to really 'spit' off these types of surfaces - which is what I believe put Krejza ahead of Casson for this tour. In effect, it was Casson vs McGain for the wrist spinners spot, and McGain is far more suitable as he is very capable of typing up an end whilst the others attack around him, I don't think that Casson is at that stage just yet. Plus, Krejza has impressed Ponting and co. when he's been invited to bowl to the Australians in the nets. His numbers are decieving because of the flat decks he plays on, but he is capable of taking big wickets.

As for Siddle vs. Noffke, I'm happy with the Siddle selection, he looks like one of those bowlers who has something about him. Noffke is the steady as she goes type, but realistically, with Clark (and to a certain extent these days Lee) doing that job, as well as Watson being there, there isn't alot of need for him. Siddle offers much more penetration, and I believe we would be more likely to get 20 wickets to win a match with Siddle in the side than Noffke - we need striking ability more than a steady type, especially baring in mind we don't have the luxury of our leg-spinners being genuine strike bowlers as well. And, besides, its almost a given that a bowler who performs well in a sheild final gets an Aussie tour spot shortly afterwards - I remember the same good fortune being given to a certain Ashley Noffke in 2001...

The batting pretty much picks itself, I don't think Watson will play unless both McGain and Krejza get a start. As silly as he may have sounded, Shipperd was fair enough to suggest that Cam White may have been worth a gamble as his brand of spin would be reasonably useful, and his batting isn't far off the mark. That said, it's quite correct he has been left out.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, bring on the series...

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Clarke took 6/9 against them the last time Aussie toured, as I'm sure you'll know. Just because Warne didn't perform in India doesn't mean part-time spinners can't.
Yeah.... did you see the pitch? I'd have taken wickets on that thing.

And in any case, Clarke >>>>>>>> Katich as a bowler. Clarke is accurate and smart with the ball, whilst Katman can get a bit of drift and rip, he really isn't very accurate and doesn't really have a bowlers mind.

EDIT: Andre just posted. Richard to cream his pants in 10.... 9.... 8....