• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't know how anyone could believe Katich's spin will be better than Watto in India. Sure, they're usually pretty good for turn.

But this is INDIA. Remember, that team that smashed Shane Warne all over every ground in India every time he was there? He was only the greatest leggy of at least the last 50 years or so.

But yeah, I'm sure Katich would be heaps handy. Hogg sure was last summer.
Point taken, but I really meant to decry Watson's potential effectiveness as a bowler rather than talk Katto's left-arm wrist-spin up. I'm not convinced Watson is a serious test option, yeah he's speed-gun fast(ish), but doesn't get a lot of bounce or carry nor moves it a massive amount in the air.

Katich is the better batsman (in my estimation, obv) & scored (I think) a couple of tons in his last test series not to mention more than anyone ever had in the Sheffield Shield. I think that will be more useful in India than Watson's decent batting and wicket-to-wicket bowling.

pasag

RTDAS
Point taken, but I really meant to decry Watson's potential effectiveness as a bowler rather than talk Katto's left-arm wrist-spin up. I'm not convinced Watson is a serious test option, yeah he's speed-gun fast(ish), but doesn't get a lot of bounce or carry nor moves it a massive amount in the air.

Katich is the better batsman (in my estimation, obv) & scored (I think) a couple of tons in his last test series not to mention more than anyone ever had in the Sheffield Shield. I think that will be more useful in India than Watson's decent batting and wicket-to-wicket bowling.
Yeah, that's why it'll be Katich vs Jaques. Watson is earmarked and will be seen as a replacement for Symonds bowling wise. I guess some of it would come down to the warmup matches, but if the game was tomorrow, I'll be shocked if Watson wasn't playing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Unfortunately, Katich's catching was nothing short of woeful in the WI

With a weakened bowling attack (and already carrying a couple of fieldsmen) we cannot afford any more performances like that

pasag

RTDAS
Unfortunately, Katich's catching was nothing short of woeful in the WI

With a weakened bowling attack (and already carrying a couple of fieldsmen) we cannot afford any more performances like that
You're right, he was horrible, but I'd be willing to write it off as just a freak bad patch. Wouldn't make much of it.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, that's why it'll be Katich vs Jaques. Watson is earmarked and will be seen as a replacement for Symonds bowling wise. I guess some of it would come down to the warmup matches, but if the game was tomorrow, I'll be shocked if Watson wasn't playing.
If Shane Watson can stay fit and bowl a good number of overs then he should be considered a certain starter, but if he is going to just bowl 9-10 overs in an innings, then i don't think he would add that much value to the side, he can only pip Katich to a spot in the playing eleven if he is willing to put in a few hard yards and bowl a considerable number of overs and share the bowling workload which will be primarily carried by Lee and Clark.

IMO, a Katich v Jaques scenario would only arise if Jaques were to fair badly in the first two games, so before that Australia needs to make a choice whether they want to go in with an all-rounder in form of Watson or they would like to go in with an in-form batsman who can also chip in with a few overs of spin.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree with your points about Casson. He is pretty much the best spinning option Australia have at the moment, McGain excluded. McGain was not needed, I would rather blood a new player, or give Hauritz or Casson experience and lose than play McGain just to win. In the long run, he does nothing. He only serves a purpose for a short period of time - around 2 years at best. And as for us ignoring Casson because he is a wrist spinner, GAGF selectors, you have NFI.
I stopped reading after that bold part. Are you serious? :wacko:

There is no point in always playing for the future, these matches now are extremely important, so the best XI possible needs to play.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, that's absurd really. There's a time and a place to blood a young player instead of playing a veteran, a tour of India at a transitional time for the team when India are one of a couple of sides threatening Australia's position at the top of international cricket isn't it. This is a series Australia will want to be extremely competitive in, and McGain is the best spin bowler in the country right now.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another factor in the Watson vs. Katich selection is whether they feel Michael Clarke's bowling has improved enough to fill the second spinner role properly- he's been working on it a lot i've heard. If so, Katich's LAU won't play any part at all.

pasag

RTDAS
Katich didn't get a single over in the West Indies despite success in the tour matches. Even Hussey got a couple in the Tests and there were times it looked like Ponting would do anything, but he still didn't give it to Katich. Tells me his bowling won't come into play.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Selectors have had an easy run for the last 10 years, any XI or squad has picked itself. Reckon they go out of their way to make 'shock' selections, just to be seen to be doing their job. "Yes, we go to all the Pura Cup games. Yes, we go to all the Ford Ranger games, oh and yes, we know what we are doing." FFS, just pick the best players available. How Noffke is not in the best 15 players in Australia atm is beyond me.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This tournament (and possibly this thread as well, but I'd rather not comment) is getting to be a little too hot for comfort. Most Australia-India clashes can get a little ouch at times.