• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

pup11

International Coach
BTW, i can't help but lol after coming to know that a 5-0 series win would push England to no.2 in ICC Odi rankings, which is a joke in my book, just underlines the fact how effective a guideline these rankings are.

Precambrian

Banned
Well, shows how much of a matchwinner can Flintoff be. This guy, could've brought England's first global trophy home, had it taken place.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm quite some way from cardiff but it sure ain't cricket weather here. Wondering if there will even be a game today.

It would have been interesting had the CT been going ahead. We could have done well.

Precambrian

Banned
Shoaib Malik captained Pakistan to two consecutive 5-0 whitewashes over Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. So Kevin won't be the first to do that in his debut full series as captain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Same could be said about South Africa in 01/02 when they came back a few years later, only making the finals on the back of beating NZ regularly (and gaining a couple of bonus points in the process) because they couldn't beat Australia. Was a weird series in general; Aust only took won game off NZ because of a monumental Bevan knock and were beaten in their other three matches against them. Aust lost a close first-up game against SA but then had the wood on them for the rest of the series and if they'd made the finals would almost certainly have won. NZ, who dominated Aust, couldn't buy a win against SA and, true to form, were annihilated in the finals.

SA just peaked too early in 1998. They won the first final but lost the next two. No fluke about it.
The two victories weren't flukes, but the tournament victory due to two victories in the last two games makes it flukey in my book. SA were so far better than Aus that series it was untrue.

And yeah, it was kinda poetic justice in 2001/02. Kinda. But as you say, it was more odd than poetic-justice, due to the true triangular nature of results.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:
Jokes apart hasn't Flintoff been just great in this Odi series, its really a treat to watch him play when he performs like this, i think KP also has a role in reviving Freddie, lets hope he can carry on with this form for sometime to come.
Not terribly sure he does TBH, but yeah, Flintoff's batted better this series than for some time - probably since even before VB Series 2006/07 which was the last time he scored any ODI runs.

I had wondered whether he'd ever bat like this again TBH. Good to see he can.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Taste of what is to come at Cardiff, statistically the only place worse than Old Trafford for weather, at least at Old Trafford you get a decent cricket wicket as well.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, changes after this series.

Don't know how much longer we can ignore Trott, he has to come in at number 3. Don't see many other batsmen averaging 42 in List A in England, (it won't happen though) but he didn't get a lot of chance before they got rid of him did he?

Not sure about other chances, think the basis of the squad should stay the same for the winter.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain

Don't know how much longer we can ignore Trott, he has to come in at number 3. Don't see many other batsmen averaging 42 in List A in England, (it won't happen though) but he didn't get a lot of chance before they got rid of him did he?

Not sure about other chances, think the basis of the squad should stay the same for the winter.
Not particulary, played 2 20/20 games, but Owais Shah shined and ever since then, he has been particularly close to the team. But yeah, its wierd, we all complain about England's ODI side, but the chanes of any changes are minimal. The top 6 look settled and England selectors are probably frothing at the mouth due to Patel (a reverse Giles) and the bowling does look suprisingly strong.

I guess there could be a place in the squad in place of Wright possibly? But getting into the team is another story with Patel and Bopara (remember him?) being ahead of Trott.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Trott wasn't even named in the giant preliminary Champions Trophy squad and both Flintoff and KP praised Shah's most recent innings so while I completely agree with you and have been saying such for a couple of years now, it's not going to happen.

I actually heard a rumour that Trott doesn't have England aspirations as such and would rather not be selected - only a rumour though.