• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair point too- but we don't really have any way of knowing how much each player does in relation to his peers (although I have heard, as I'm sure you have, that Pietersen thinks about his batting more than his style would suggest). Based on what we can see, i don't think Pietersen can be labelled one of the mentally toughest around.
There are just a few innings that stand out for me when he was under real pressure. Eg the 158 at the Oval in 2005, the hundred on debut as captain v SA. The man has cojones.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know; it wasn't me who commented on his mental toughness initially. Just don't think that 4th innings runs necessarily prove anything.
In Smith's case I think they do indicate an actual trend, he's always seemed to excel when chasing down a target to win. As a general point, you're right, and I wouldn't use them widely as a measure of mental strength.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hey Uppercut, just as an aside do you support any of the Test sides at all? Obviously your cricket team is Ireland, and from your avatar we can see that like me you're a big Freddie Flintoff fan :ph34r:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are just a few innings that stand out for me when he was under real pressure. Eg the 158 at the Oval in 2005, the hundred on debut as captain v SA. The man has cojones.
Ah, i knew the 158 would come up! It was very impressive indeed, I must admit. The hundred in the dead rubber, not so much.

If you had to have someone bat out a final session for your life, would you choose Pietersen?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, couldn't get on the forum for a while. The 3rd powerplay been a lot better for the Saffies, but still this is looking like a nice platform for the next three batsmen. I really do like our middle order, have I mentioned that at all? :ph34r: